* Supermarine Spitfire Mk Ia/II

timraven1992

This is my second entry, which I should be building alongside the Hurri,

quite apt I thought, they fought together, I'll build 'em together! ;)

I've bought some decals off Gary C for this one, as the kit decals aren't BoB.

Anyway, the box shot:

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

A nice touch I thought, a colour paint + decal guide:

IMG_0718.jpg

This looks a nice kit, with recessed panel lines.

I'll be starting it soon when I've scribed the Hurri! :(

Cheers

Tim

Edited by timraven1992

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

I removed all the cockpit parts from the sprues and blu- tacked them onto an old paintbrush, then I mixed up a batch of "timravens Interior Green" out of Hu30 and Hu130, looks ok to me!

Then the bits got painted!

The Spit+Hurri on my bench:

img0731gr4.jpg

img0732lj9.jpg

Spit:

img0735ud0.jpg

I wanted to do the door hinged down but it has the crowbar moulded on it :(

I tried to scrape it off but it looked a bit messy so I'll have the door up in place, and I won't highlight the crowbar with a wash or drybrushing, hopefully it will vanish into the paintwork :)

Comments welcome! :)

Cheers

Tim

Edited by timraven1992

blu- tacked them onto an old paintbrush,

Hey Tim, have you been pinching my ideas?:

progress4.jpg

That's how I airbrush all of my small parts.

Watching this one with interest,

Dean

Tim is doing these builds for two GB's, hence two threads although, Tim, if you want to avoid double posting I wouldn't have a problem with that. Can I suggest you draw a line under the Best of British threads by posting a link to the Battle of Britain threads?

peebeep

Nice early Spitfire build Tim, a few pointers on Mk.1 Spits that may help you:

The seat is aluminium (often painted black or left alum) NOT A RED/BRICK COLOUR

If you want to be really picky with your model, the foot pedals are also alum (not painted)

The u/c retraction hand pump lever is on the pilots right.

Much of the items which would have received wear and tear (leavers, knobs, rests etc) were left alum or painted black

good luck, its looking great alongside that Hurricane build

If you want to be really picky with your model, the foot pedals are also alum (not painted)

Much of the items which would have received wear and tear (leavers, knobs, rests etc) were left alum or painted black

The red/brick colour seats you refer to are the Bakelite seats, which were left unpainted. It will depend on your subject which seat it has- the bakelite versions were introduced in May 1940. Metal seats, if that is what you are going with, were painted in the same colour as the rest of the interior. It really does depend on the spitfire- BoB ones tended to have the bakelite seats, as a general rule of thumb, with black padding. You will have to check with references, if you have them?

So far, this is looking superb! Watching with interest!

No probs Tim, glad to be of service. I actually thought you were making a better job of the Spit in the other thread :winkgrin:

Ian

:D:rolleyes:

So if i paint the "offending" items black and then drybrush them lightly with silver, it should produce a nice realistic effect?

Thanks for all the info, you've saved me some time googling! :thumbsup2:

Cheers

Tim

So if i paint the "offending" items black and then drybrush them lightly with silver, it should produce a nice realistic effect?

Thanks for all the info, you've saved me some time googling! :thumbsup2:

Cheers

Tim

yep that sounds good, should look great!

-oh yes, the leather seat backs...not used in all spits! I guess only if the pilot requested. In modern spits many covers are dressed in all kinds of weird and wonderful fabrics (flowery old curtain fabric etc!) :handbag: cost saving?

-oh yes, the leather seat backs...not used in all spits! I guess only if the pilot requested. In modern spits many covers are dressed in all kinds of weird and wonderful fabrics (flowery old curtain fabric etc!) :handbag: cost saving?

Well mine will have thel leather seat back, as it's moulded in and I don't want to ruin it by clumsily removing the plastic! :fool:

I think my pilot will like his comfort! :)

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Mish and Azgaron ;),

Sorry for no recent updates, modelling and the heat don't mix in my case :(,

I've painted up the pit, and sanded the tail from the inside to reduce the thickness.

I think the Sutton harness in this one looks a lot better than the one in my Hurri,

Anyway, judge for yourself:

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

The IP was painted black, then white was put in the dials, then black, then scraping away lightly with a pin, I made them look like dials.

It worked ok(ish).

Cheers

Tim

Edited by timraven1992

Thanks you guys! :thumbsup:

I got the pit in and glued the front of the fuselage together so far,

I lined them up as best as possible but they just dont totally match, the fuel cap

is totally out, I was gonna fill it and rescribe anyway, so its not too bad :shrug:

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0764-1.jpg

I've also been sanding the wings to reduce their thickness, haven't finished yet though! :P

Cheers

Tim

Way to go Tim..! Your builds are looking swell... :coolio:

Cheers,

ggc