* Hawker Hurricane Mk 1

timraven1992

Right!! Now im in! :winkgrin:

Got my Hurri in the post today, some pre-construction scribing is required as I prefer recessed panel lines,

this is my first time as well so please be gentle! :analintruder:

The box shot:

IMG_0716.jpg

Scribing in progress:

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

The white blob is unsanded tippex.

Apparently this kit is 29 years old! The inside of the wing has "Airfix 1979", so no surprise about the raised

panel lines then huh? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm rescribing using the Tamiya P-cutter, a thin piece of aluminium (couldn't locate scribing templates cheap enough for me :) ), and tippex.

I've found the trick is to go very slowly to avoid silly errors :banghead:

See you in a few days when I'm either crazy or very relaxed! :suicide:

Cheers

Tim

Hey Tim

Great choice of aircraft for the GB! Good luck with the re-scribing too. Hopefully it wont drive you to crazy!!

I find any bits of re-scribing where I slip or make a mistake best filled with thick CA glue. It dries very hard and dosen't allow the scribing tool to follow the same cock up! If you know what I mean!

Hope this might help your endeavour.

Keep us posted.

Richard :speak_cool:

Thanks everybody :winkgrin:,

Kiwichappers, if you do decide to do that, then good luck! ;) Although the fit may be a pain!

Anyway,

I've just started to get the hang of this lark,

now the lower wing is all done! :thumbsup:

I ran thinned black paint into the scribed areas to show up any defects, these were then filled with tippex/CA (thanks Richard! :thumbsup2:)

When I got to the centre section, I had a cunning plan!

BB.jpg

I dug one of those flat scalpel blades out of my tools box,

IMG_0726.jpg

Simply scribe on top/next to the raised lines, then gently scrape them off with the flat blade,

worked a treat and is much faster!

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

Next up, the upper wings! :analintruder:

Cheers

Tim

ALL FINISHED!!!! :suicide::wicked:

I've also discovered I HATE :fuyou_2: SCRIBING!!!!

Anyway, it's all been scribed and filled/rescribed at least 20 times, and it's not perfect, but i'm happy enough with it.

The fuselage was the worst part, with no scribing template! I will invest in one for my next rescribe job! :(

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

There may be small parts that haven't been filled that I've missed etc, so i'll correct them during the build if I see them, and be careful with the wash at the end! :analintruder:

Thanks for the support!

Now to actually build it!

Cheers

Tim

looking good so far Tim the Airfix Hurricane is a nice build, but watch those Decals (the big ones) are prone to silvering) and fitting the wings and cockpit up in to the fuse can be a bit tricky if your not 100% on the marks.

heres a linky to mine

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1409/6773...4/215838162.jpg

Dave

Edited by zero

Anyway, it's all been scribed and filled/rescribed at least 20 times, and it's not perfect, but i'm happy enough with it.

Cheers

Tim

Try stiff (plastic not paper) Dymo tape, it sticks in place for curved or strieght lines it great.

Dave

Edited by zero

Tim: Lot of work, but your re-scribe is looking good....it's usually better to cook (build) from "scratch"... :winkgrin:

Cheers,

ggc

Looks good!

However, I never understood the people using a kit which needs rescribing when there is a very fine alternative with recessed lines and fantastic fit on the market, for me it seems masochistic ;)

Try stiff (plastic not paper) Dymo tape, it sticks in place for curved or strieght lines it great.

Dave

I will next time Dave, I thought I wouldn't need it, but it would have helped immensely!

Tim: Lot of work, but your re-scribe is looking good....it's usually better to cook (build) from "scratch"... :winkgrin:

Cheers,

ggc

Thanks GGC :)

Well done Tim :) That doesn't look too shabby at all for a first go.

Andy

Cheers Andy

Looks good!

However, I never understood the people using a kit which needs rescribing when there is a very fine alternative with recessed lines and fantastic fit on the market, for me it seems masochistic ;)

Well, there are a few reasons, first and foremost, the shape seems better than the Hasegawa one, its cheaper (a lot!), its Airfix (which I would prefer to spend my money on to keep 'em in business), there is more satisfaction at the end of the build (as Peebeep correctly stated) and lastly, I have the Revell/Matchbox Victor to do, and wanted some scribing practice before I go anywhere near it! (or my other models that need rescribing!!)

However, I would say that if you can avoid rescribing, DO IT! :winkgrin:

Cheers

Tim

Cracking job on that rescribe- i'm avoiding rescribing like the plague!!! Watching with interest and hopefully picking up some tips!!! :popcorn:

Looking good Tim :thumbsup2:

I recently popped my rescribing cherry on the Boston build back along (which didn't go as well as yours has ;)) so can appreciate what a top job you've done. I used dymo tape then, which has been mentioned is just the job for curved surfaces, though I hope not to need to use the stuff again :fraidnot: But i'd certainly recommend getting hold of some when you have a crack at the Victor :)

Looking forward to seeing this one progress matey :)

Gents I have deleted two posts from this thread as I was of the opinion that they added no constructive value and ran the risk of derailing Tim's build thread and have it turn into a slanging match.

Now Tim, how about another update :thumbsup2:

Cheers

Cracking job on that rescribe- i'm avoiding rescribing like the plague!!! Watching with interest and hopefully picking up some tips!!! :popcorn:

Cheers Matt ;),

Looking good Tim :thumbsup2:

I recently popped my rescribing cherry on the Boston build back along (which didn't go as well as yours has ;)) so can appreciate what a top job you've done. I used dymo tape then, which has been mentioned is just the job for curved surfaces, though I hope not to need to use the stuff again :fraidnot: But i'd certainly recommend getting hold of some when you have a crack at the Victor :)

Looking forward to seeing this one progress matey :)

I'll be getting some for my next tiny rescribe job, let alone the Victor! Having something to stick in place would be sooo much easier! :)

Now Tim, how about another update :thumbsup2:

Cheers

Happy to oblige Darren ;),

I removed all the cockpit parts from the sprues and blu- tacked them onto an old paintbrush, then I mixed up a batch of "timravens Interior Green" out of Hu30 and Hu130, looks ok to me!

Then the bits got painted!

The Spit+Hurri on my bench:

img0731gr4.jpg

img0732lj9.jpg

Hurri:

img0733aw0.jpg

img0734lg6.jpg

Comments welcome! :)

Cheers

Tim

Edited by timraven1992

I have great respect for you guys and gals that have more than one kit on the go at the same time. If I did that, nothing would get done, things would get lost etc.

That green looks pretty close to me mate. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Tim

Thanks Tim :),

Sorry for the lack of updates, couldn't model in the heat! :shrug:

The cockpit is now all ready to go together, just a few bits and bobs to do first.

The Sutton (ish) harness was made from Tamiya tape and stretched sprue, and frankly this one looks a bit pants :(,

should look ok under the canopy though.

Here be pics: :hobbyhorse:

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

Thanks for looking ;)

Welcome all comments :)

Cheers

Tim

Thanks you two! :thumbsup2:

I've got the wings and fuselage together! :analintruder:

Its had a light sand and there are numerous filler needing gaps (marked by pencil so I can find them quickly),

there are also sink marks where all the locator pins are:

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

The wing root will need Milliput I think!

IMG_0759.jpg

The Spit+Hurri together:

IMG_0764.jpg

Cheers

Tim