Jump to content

* Heinkel III : FINISHED


AnonymousA667
 Share

Recommended Posts

A quickie update - crew painted and canopy masking done apart from the nose bubble (we hates masking canopies, yesss, it took ages), which I will leave off until near completion. Progress was delayed by ATC camp at Odiham.

330775358.jpg

My weekend programme shot to hell, usual SNAFU, not to mention a little trip to the Avon show...

peebeep

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That kit brings back some memories- I bought mine in the local corner shop with two weeks pocket money and had it built in a couple of hours- a lamb to the slaughter with my hurricane IID in the vicinity!

Make sure you paint at least one crew members goggles filling up with blood a'la "Battle of Britain"

"Home, and tea- for once you deserve it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hey Paul, Nice choice!

I'm building the same kit as it happens. Different colours of plastic though. Mines dark brown fuselage with light blue undersides and yucky tan/brown upper surfaces.

I have a complete stand in my kit that I don't want , its yours if you want/need it mate?

let me know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I made some progress whilst away - despite protests from the SO ('You're not taking all that gear are you?!') - and finished cleaning up and filling, then coated up with a greenish grey:

332587546.jpg

Predictably the nose gun got broken off! After the paint had hardened up it was on with some unfeasibly heavy pre-shading:

332587564.jpg

The Plan is that pre-shading will help to conceal the original Matchbox trenches without actually filling them in - it could of course backfire and simply over emphasise them, we will have to wait and see.

One thing I have noticed about that kit parts is that the U/C doors don't appear to be quite as asymmetric as plans and photos show them up to be.

I will be pushing on with this during the week, as I'm hoping to give it an airing at the Medway show.

peebeep

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lookimg good Peebeep!

Have a nice holiday!

Taking shape, enjoy the holiday.

Thanks, despite the poor weather we had a nice break. Mrs P even permitted the boys a walk up Scafell Pike whilst she visited Grasmere - something or other about Wordsworth...

332589708.jpg

332589712.jpg

We were way above cloud base, made navigation interesting.

peebeep

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm building the same kit as it happens. Different colours of plastic though. Mines dark brown fuselage with light blue undersides and yucky tan/brown upper surfaces.

I'd love to know how many variations they had in the sprue colours.

I have a complete stand in my kit that I don't want , its yours if you want/need it mate?

Gratefully accepted, not for me but to take to the squadron if you don't mind. I'm always on the lookout for spare stands to display cadets' models, many of them insist on building U/C up even though they have no means to display them. PM inbound.

peebeep

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

First lot of green on and masking in place for splinter camo. I thought this would be fairly straightforward, but references for the pattern are contradictory/ambiguous. My interpretation of dunkelgrun is Hu 30 (stop laughing) warmed up with some yellow:

336750090.jpg

In an experiment that could go horribly wrong I have shaded under the areas that will be schwarzgrun in a mid-grey:

336750091.jpg

peebeep

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know exactly what you mean by references about the splinter pattern, Paul. I had the same problem with my Stuka - two hours worth of masking due to the constant checking and rechecking, and there's not a curved edge in sight! Straight edges should be easy masking, shouldn't it?

Good job so far, anyway.

Cheers,

Dean

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Straight edges should be easy masking, shouldn't it?

LOL, you would have thought so!

Anyways here's the latest. Decaled, panel washed and overcoated with matt. I don't like the panel wash and wish now that I had used a darker colour, but time is pressing and I need to get this build out of the way so it is a done deed. Overcoat was with Humbrol Matt Cote plus a dash of light grey to try and tone everything in:

337434677.jpg

The beauty of matt finishes is that they hide a multitude of sins! Here's a close up of the canopy sans masking:

337434673.jpg

Still some tidying up to do, especially the seam line that Matchbox oh so conveniently put right down the middle! Will do a bit more before beddy byes.

peebeep

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...