* Supermarine Spitfire Mk Ia : FINISHED

Old VG 33

Hello

I am going to contribute with another Spitfire whithin this GB.

I have chosen to build N3122 SH-M because this particular aircraft is supposed to have been flown by Xavier de Montbron one of the 14 Free French Pilots officially recorded in the BoB.

Now I have my first question : in the kit there is some strengthening inside the wheel well and I suppose there are instead two outside.

Patrick

Edited by VG 33

Hello

I have chosen to build N3122 SH-M because this particular aircraft is supposed to have been flown by Xavier de Montbron one of the 14 Free French Pilots officially recorded in the BoB.

Now I have my first question : in the kit there is some strengthening inside the wheel well and I suppose there are instead two outside.

Patrick

Hi there Patrick and welcome to the build mate and that's a great choice of markings you've chosen as well :thumbsup2: .

As to your question, I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you mean. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the 72nd scale Tamiya offering (I build 48th), but are you asking about wing stiffeners or wheel well bracing?

Cheers

Hi there Patrick and welcome to the build mate and that's a great choice of markings you've chosen as well :thumbsup2: .

As to your question, I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you mean. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the 72nd scale Tamiya offering (I build 48th), but are you asking about wing stiffeners or wheel well bracing?

Cheers

Hi

Wing stiffeners.

Patrick

• 1 month later...

Hi

At least I have started my Spitfire and added some details inside this fuselage.

First two cables for the undercarriage control and the pilot oxygen tube on the starboard side.

m_74893131_0.jpg

On the other side I have just put a knob.

m_74893175_0.jpg

As I cut the door I had to thin down a little the edges because the thickness of the Tamiya model is something like an AFV.

m_74893211_0.jpg

I added the pilot's back and head armoured plates and created the sutton harness instead of the single decal from Tamiya. Sadly I haven't any buckle.

m_74893270_0.jpg

m_74893302_0.jpg

Finally the other part of the harness and radiator flaps lever. Both of them will be cut to length.

m_74893578_0.jpg

Patrick

Edited by VG 33

Hello

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

No external strengthening strakes on the Mk I wings.

The external strakes were fitted post BoB on the Mk Vb's when they were converted to LF Vb's.

HTH

Dave.

Edited by Dave Gibson

Looking good so far.It will be good to see one with the canopy and door open.I'm doing this on a MkIIa i am making from the Tamiya MkI kit so i'll be looking for inspiration from your build.

Patrick, beautiful work as always.

Since you seem to be something of an expert on the topic, can you tell me what color you should used for the underside. The guys at the hobby shop recommend Polly Scales Sky Type "S", but this looks too green to me. What are your thoughts?

Patrick, beautiful work as always.

Since you seem to be something of an expert on the topic, can you tell me what color you should used for the underside. The guys at the hobby shop recommend Polly Scales Sky Type "S", but this looks too green to me. What are your thoughts?

Thank you

I've been using Xtracolor for twenty years.

Patrick

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Fuselage and wings are glued and waiting for sand paper...

I'll be in time for the end of the Battle.

m_76540579_0.jpg

m_79022625_0.jpg

I filled the gun throughs because when I cut the flash suppressors I made big holes. Anyway there will be some red tape over.

m_76540584_0.jpg

Patrick

Edited by VG 33

• 4 weeks later...