* Fiat C.R.42 Corpo Aereo Italiano

PetrOs

Hello

I hope to finish my third Me.109 tomorrow or on sunday, and I decided to put the next fighter build in announce. That will be the Fiat C.R. 42, built from the Italeri's 1/48 kit.

ita2653.jpg

The kit is quite nice, and looks very buildable. Also, this biplane had only 4 wires between the wings (I hate rigging :))! ;)

As the kit had no BoB decals included I also got SkyModels Fiat C.R.42 Part II decals. They provide no less then 40! marking options, and alot of BoB aircraft, from all 3 C.R.42 squadrons. I still have not selected the one to use.

Included are:

British BT474 (ex. MM.5701, 95 Sq.), RAF Martlesham Heat, UK, november 40. A bit too late for use in the group build ;(

MM.4336, 85-2, flown by a future ace St.C.T.Serg. Gorrini(19 victories), june 40

95-1, C.T.Cap G.Lodi, Francoforte 17 Oct. 1940

95-9, St.Ten. Franco Bordoni Bisleri (19 victories)

85-9, nov. 1940

83-1, C.T.Cap. Molinari, Ursel, Belgium, Nov.1940

95, Maggiore Ferruccio Vossilla, 9.Agosto 1940

95-13, C.T.Serg. Pietro Salvadori, Oxfordness, UK, 29 oct. 1940 (same as the first one but still in italian colors)

The decals are very fine, thin and glossy, with barely carrier film, the only drawback being that they are extremely closely placed so alot of care would be a must..

Petros: Good choice yo..! I'm looking forward to this Italian contribution in the BoB G.B.

Build On..!

Cheers,

ggc

So, while the washing was drying on the von Hahn's Messerschmitt I have started the Fiat. I think I will go with the aircraft of the Sototenente Franco "Robur" Bordoni-Bisleri, who was the top italian ace to survive the war (together with Gorrini, both had 19 kills). You can read about him at http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/italy_bisleri.htm

His aircraft looked like this:

1.jpg

The build goes well together, and the cockpit is fine OOB. I did a few modifications to it: the kit offers plain panels with decals or the relief plastic panels for self painting for consoles. I mixed both - relief textured panels were covered with the decals.

Also, the kit provides seat belts as the decal, and I dont like it. I also had no italian harness as PE in my stash. But, Italian one looks damn close to the Soviet one, so I slightly modified the Extratech soviet seatbelts and installed these in cockpit.

My progress:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

PetrOs: It will be great to have an Italian a/c in the BoB G.B. That looks like a nice kit as well....

Cheers,

ggc

PetrOs: It will be great to have an Italian a/c in the BoB G.B. That looks like a nice kit as well....

Cheers,

ggc

I also thought so. Will be my very first model of an Italian aircraft, never built one.

The kit is also really fine. Cockpit is 11-pieces issue with separate tub and great level of detail. The fit is great, I just put the lower wing to the fuselage (in my after-lunch 15 mins break) and there is no gap at all. The engine has an option to be shown open, and it will be the case of my aircraft, as the engine detail is better then some resin engines I have seen.. The only things which would need alteration are the air intake under the engine (its wrong for the BoB aircraft, but fine for the desert one), and the addition of the seatbelts. Also omitting the bombs for the BoB version.

My mark so far: 4.9 out of 5 ;)

The only thing that I am fearing in this kit is the fit of the top wing. I hope to check it tomorrow ;)