The Biggest & Smallest 1/72 Aircraft Kits you can buy

kitnut617

A few weeks ago I got hold of an Arii kit which has four tiny Bede 5 aircraft in it, actually two Bede 5's (prop driven) and two Bede 5J (jet powered). Anyway last year I also got a Blackbird Models Lockheed C-5 Galaxy and now I think I have the biggest and smallest 1/72 aircraft kits you can buy. I did post this on the ATF forum and I have had a lot of people challenge that claim, so what do you guys think?

BiggestandSmallest1-72kits001.jpg

Here's the Bede if you didn't spot it in the above photo

BiggestamdSmallest1-72kits002.jpg

Another of the Bedes compared to a 1/72 Spitfire wing, the long wing one is the prop driven one

BiggestandSmallest1-72kits000.jpg

Cheers,

Robert

Edited by kitnut617

Is the galaxy bigger than the trump blackjack, ive got that and that is BIG lol

The only thing bigger than a C-5 that is flying regular is an Antonov An-124, there is another aircraft which flies once in a blue moon which is even bigger than that and that is the Antonov An-225, the Blackjack is just a bit bigger than a B-1B, about half the size of a C-5

• 3 years later...

The 'biggest kit you can buy' (currently) in 1/72 scale is the Antonov An-124 Ruslan.....

It's slightly bigger than a C5 Galaxy.

The Amodel An-22......

an-22_55.jpg

... and Bristol Brabazon....

Brabazon%20019.jpg

... come a close second - with the Amodel Hughes Spruce Goose also a contender.

It also depends on your definition of 'biggest' - wing span??, gross takeoff weight ?? size of the box ???

Is the Gossamer Albatros 'bigger' than a C-130 (spanwise it is!!)

Ken

And don't forget the Spruce Goose in 1:72nd...

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AMU03072

I believe that this is currently the largest kit available.

Boeing 747 in 1:72nd is pretty huge too...

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ANIG9002

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TW7212002

I've only got the original issue of the Bede BD5 by LS unmade. Did have the pair made up some years ago but sold them to someone who had the real thing. Anyway, They are tiny! The next one up could be the LS kit of the Pitts S2 with a wingspan of 3.25" inch and length of 3 inches!

Like I said - it all depends on the definition.

If you swing the Spruce Goose wings back, they more-or-less match the swept wings of the An-225 - so span is a bit of a misnomer in this case.

The An-225 is longer and has a bigger 'footprint' - plus it has the highest takeoff weight - so I reckon its the 'biggest'

But you can't buy a kit of it (yet) - so I stick with my contender as the An-124.

Don't forget the question was The Biggest and Smallest Aircraft kits you can buy - in 1/72 scale.

It's all a bit academic anyway - but I contend that just taking span is misleading - some gliders have greater spans than some transports - but they clearly aren't 'bigger' :analintruder:

Ken

A few weeks ago I got hold of an Arii kit which has four tiny Bede 5 aircraft in it, actually two Bede 5's (prop driven) and two Bede 5J (jet powered). Anyway last year I also got a Blackbird Models Lockheed C-5 Galaxy and now I think I have the biggest and smallest 1/72 aircraft kits you can buy. I did post this on the ATF forum and I have had a lot of people challenge that claim, so what do you guys think?

Cheers,

Robert

The Bede jet will forever be attached with the the Bond film "Octopussy" with me. I still remembered the scene where 007 fills it up at gas station and the great one where they fly it thru a hangar.

Is the galaxy bigger than the trump blackjack, ive got that and that is BIG lol

The Tupolev Tu-160 Blackjack - called by the Russians the 'White Swan' - is currently the world's largest warplane.

Its swing wings are the largest moving surfaces of any aircraft - a record previously held by the XB-70 with its drooping wingtips.

But it isn't bigger than a C5 (which in turn is smaller than an An-124).

I can remember being at Fairford when a member of the USAF groundcrew was telling the assembled punters that the C5 was 'the biggest plane in the world'

When I pointed out that the An-124 was bigger, he then said 'OK - its the SECOND largest plane in the world'.

Then I said 'Actually, there's the An-225'......................... :rolleyes:

Ken

I think the Tu-160 is more than just a bit bigger than a B-1B (though I may be wrong).

Quite correct.

Here's a link to some pics from Flankerman's website; if you scroll to the bottom of the page you can see the size differential between the two:

http://www.flankerman.fsnet.co.uk/modl_tu160_page3.html

I think the term "Striking" just about covers how different they are in size.