Dornier 228-100 "Polar-2"

Hi folks,

Here's my latest project that I've decided to go with... It's an old Revell 1/72 Dornier 228-100 "Polar 2" that I found in the loft. This kit had obviously been started when I was a kid, and is in a bit of a poor state. I intend to 'rescue' it and build it in all it's glory

Here's what I'm beginning with!

The Box

7f2e616a.jpg

The very poor painted and some broken parts!

00f170fe.jpg

1e0d4fb4.jpg

And what's left on the sprues!

7ce0596e.jpg

I have no idea what it was painted with, but I can only assume that they were enamels of some kind and done around 20 years ago!!! I never had many acrylics, only some Tamiya and I've not had either orange or grey. Obviously the first job will be to strip it clean and start again!

Thought I'd try some IPA to see if it will shift it... and sure enough it did. Not too much scrubbing involved and it was mostly gone!

A little rubbing with a cotton bud dipped in IPA and Voila!

49c76378.jpg

It lifted the paint off, and cleaned the plastic to shiny! Obviously this is only a quick rub, but it was easy. The only bits it hasn't touched are either in the edges of the panel lines (easy to do with a cocktail stick) and around the flap bits (those are covered in glue! so they're sealed). Those I'll sort out with a bit of sanding!

After about 15 minutes work... I'm this far

7e100e79.jpg

Karl.

Should make a good "from the ashes" model... Are you doing any extra detail, or straight out of the box (via the Fairy Powerspray)? :)

Nah, no extras on it... still debating whether to re-scribe or not, there's not a huge amount on there so I probably will. Other than that it'll be an 'out of the box' jobbie!

I've finished stripping the paint off as much as I'm going to and I'm ready to begin!

Karl.

Right, all the paint is stripped as far as I'm going to go with it, and I'm ready to progress with things. The IPA did a damned good job of stripping the paint, and it was enamels that had been on there for 20 years or so!!

7eaf8a61.jpg

Karl.