* Spitfire MK1 - FINISHED

Jazzy Jase

Time to make a start on my Tamiya Spitfire. It'll be OOB, but I've believe there are a few things I can do to improve the accuracy of the kit. From Tizzy's thread on the same kit I've read that the crowbar needs removing and the protruding gun barrels. Is there anything else I should do?

2667668969_de6a90e875_b.jpg

Edited by Jazzy Jase

Good to see another one in the GB.If you are building it with the canopy open then in the interests of accuracy the crowbar should be carefully removed.If you're building it with the canopy shut then save yourself the work as the canopy is too thick to make out much detail.Just make sure it is painted interior green as the rest of the door should be.If i make another i'll make it with the canopy open and the door down as the interior is quite nice and makes a good start off point for a detailed cockpit. :D

Slow progress so far... I haven't done anything. :(

Been too busy, but hoping to at least paint the cockpit over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,just a tip i've found building mine.When you get to the decaling stage be careful.Whilst the kit is a gem,the decals are not up to the same standard.The roundels and codes for the side are in one piece and it is impossible to get them into the correct position in one piece.They don't appear to be printed with the correct height difference between the codes in front of the roundel and the codes behind the roundel.Also the instructions show the side decals in the wrong position.I only noticed when it was too late.My advice is to cut the codes away from the roundel and line them up carefully.Use other references than the instructions to get the correct position.The instructions show the roundel too far down on the side of the fuselage.By cutting the decals into pieces it will be easier to position correctly and also reduce the carrier film between the roundels and codes.Beware also that the smaller decals have a tendency to silver, so be careful.I've just ordered another Tamiya Mk1 to have a go with some after market decals and some photoetch.It'll be interesting to see the difference i can make with one out of the box and one with a few extras.Hope this helps. :D

Hi,just a tip i've found building mine.When you get to the decaling stage be careful.Whilst the kit is a gem,the decals are not up to the same standard.

Hi Tizzy,

Thanks for the heads up on the decals. I'm a long way off decaling at the moment. Still barely made any progress due to work and holiday.

Can anyone suggest a good set of aftermarket decals for a BoB spitfire in 1/72?

Xtradecal do a sheet of decals that covers the MkI,MkII and the prototype.I'm using this sheet and making QJ-P from 92 squadron.These are really good decals.You will still need to use the stencils from the kit.Just make sure that the model surface is very glossy to help avoid silvering.Cheers :D

Finally made some progress. The cockpit is done and I've joined the two fuselage halves together. I think I've over-weathered the interior, but seeing as it will all be sealed inside I'm not too concerned.

Sorry about the quality of the pictures. Couldn't find my camera, so had to use my phone. I'll try to take some proper pictures of the cockpit before I glue it inside the fuselage.

2740342341_51f019ba04_b.jpg

2741178652_9758112a6b_b.jpg

Looks good.You've made a good job of the weathering.It's a shame that you can't see a lot when the canopy is on,but in this scale an injection moulded canopy can only be so thin.The decals have just arrived for mine so i will be back on it tonight.

I've found my camera so here are some proper pics of the interior.

2745514155_ef5be871f8_b.jpg

2746349112_83687b1620_b.jpg

2745513371_b73f49c63d_b.jpg

I've definately overdone the drybrushing.

Off to the London Beer Festival today, so no progress today, but hopefully tomorrow.

Looking good! Perhaps the dry brushing is a bit too much, but nothing that bothers me anyway!

One question, shouldn't the IP be black?

:cheers:

Azgaron

One question, shouldn't the IP be black?

I'm guessing IP means instrument panel? I'm no Spitfire expert, so just followed the instructions, which shows only the centre section in black. :unsure:

Sorry, yes I meant the instrument panel! I'm no expert either that's why I asked! It wasn't meant as any critique on your panel! I was just curious! :)

Good luck with your build!

:cheers:

Azgaron

Looking good there Jase, especially in 1/72. I think the last time I built a 1/72 Spitfire there wasn't even an instrument panel in there! These kits have really come on in leaps and bounds, haven't they? I wouldn't get too hung up about the interior detailing though - I can promise you that once the canopy is on you won't be able to see a thing! I've just had a look at a 1/72 Hurricane I built years ago, and I can't even see the seat...

Looking forward to seeing the outside of this one,

Dean

Made quite a lot of progress yesterday:

• The Wings (front and rear) glued into place.
  • Canopy was Kleared, glued into place and masked.
  • Filled some gaps using Mr Surfacer 500.
  • Levelled the Mr Surfacer using Mr Thinner.
  • Sanded all remaining joins.

This was my first time using Mr surfacer and I really like it. Very easy to work with, but boy does it pong!

I can confirm now that the canopy is on that you can't see the instruments or much of the interior.

Tonight's job is some gentle re-scribing the areas that were sanded and preparation for priming tomorrow!

I'll get some pictures put up tonight or tomorrow.

The instrument panel should be black but it won't be easy to see under that canopy.Considering the thickness of that canopy your drybrushing is just about right,i'd say.Keep up the good work.Cheers :D

Got my re-scribing done last night and I've been thinking about the gun barrels... I've chopped off the protruding ones, but I'm not really happy with the result. It doesn't look very round or gun-like.

Can I get away with putting red tape over the guns? Was this done during the BoB? Alternatively, can I just drill them out?

Does anyone have any good close-up pictures of Mk1 wings/guns?

Jase,

Yeah, you can put tape over the gun ports, as small canvas patches were doped over them. This was to ensure that, IIRC, to show which guns had been fired. When I did my last BoB Spitfire, I put patches over the ports. In fact my last 3 Spitfires were all done the same.

HTH

Andy

Jase,

Yeah, you can put tape over the gun ports, as small canvas patches were doped over them. This was to ensure that, IIRC, to show which guns had been fired. When I did my last BoB Spitfire, I put patches over the ports. In fact my last 3 Spitfires were all done the same.

HTH

Andy

Thanks Andy. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Right, the last few weeks have been very busy for me with work and a few family issues, so I've been slowly progressing with the Spit and I'm finally finished.

2866228328_123673eabd_b.jpg

2865400841_09d13c9cab_b.jpg

2866233156_c1a8e56dc2_b.jpg

2865400133_857e66a898_b.jpg

2865402997_995b86b3d8_b.jpg

I'm quite happy with the result, but as usual I think my weathering leaves a lot to be desired. Also I had a few paint/airbrush issues which have left the paint on the underside a little thick and I've lost some detail.

Next build for me is the new Revell Lancaster.

EDIT: Increased picture size.

Edited by Jazzy Jase

Almost forgot to say that I found a picture of the real aircraft in a book my grandad lent me when he found out I was building a BoB Spitfire.

2866287334_aa20e7cd2e_b.jpg

2866286182_6ffedb9dc3_b.jpg

2866286734_c276e73172_b.jpg

Edited by Jazzy Jase

I said I was looking forward to seeing the outside of this one, and it didn't disappoint. Nice job, especially when you consider it's only 1/72 scale.

Don't forget to put it in the gallery...I've got a target to reach!

Cheers,

Dean