Revell Hurricane IIb in 1/72

Heraldcoupe

I didn't think to reach for my camera at first, and the build proceeded quite quickly.

The kit was bought when first released around 1999, so there were none of the quality problems reported with more recent releases. There was an Eduard Zoom set in the box, though the belts had been borrowed for another project.

After a bit of cleanup and some metal folding, this is what I had in front of me:

DSCN5776.JPG

DSCN5776.JPG

A more general view of the workshop, or dining table, as my wife prefers to call it....

DSCN5782.JPG

I was enjoying this one and got a bit carried away, so the camera got left to one side until I'd got this far:

DSCN5783.JPG

DSCN5784.JPG

The cockpit was brush painted in a home-brewed mix of generic cockpit green. Seatbelts were cobbled up using leftovers from an Eduard Wellington set. I know they're not right, but do you know what belts were fitted to a fictitious all-over Red painted Hurricane?

I wasn't happy with the pictures of the cockpit, so I asked my wife if she could take some better images with her considerably more versatile photographic equipment:

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

Decide for yourself whether that was worth it......

ACHTUNG!!! Wass est Jonny Red...??? Hurricane from Hell :devil: Gott im Himmel !!

Cheers,

ggc

When I last built on of these Hurricanes, I remember the fit being good, but the wing joints being a little fragile.

I added a few tabs to stop the panels dropping out of alignment through my own clumsiness:

DSCN5788.JPG

I assembled the lefthand wing to the centre piece with EMA Plastic Weld, which I use for most general assembly work:

DSCN5790.JPG

I fitted this sub assembly to the fuselage, then added the RH wing. Alignment was good, so I carefully applied the plastic weld and left it to set.

Once the wings were on, I put down the camera and forgot all about it. There was a little general cleanup, with an annoying step along the nose joint, top and bottom. I ran a bead of cyano along the joint and cleaned it up with with fine wet & dry. I think this was down to positioning of the locating pins, I had taken a couple of others out with the scalpel as they'd been more of a hindrance than a help. My own fault though for not noticing earlier.

I also toned down the ribbing along the rear fuselage. I don;t think it's particularly overdone, there are plenty of photos of Hurricanes out there where the stringers are really prominent. What annoys me is the sudden changes in angle between groups of stringers, rather than the progressive fanning of the real aircraft. I'll try and get an image which shows this later, I have another unmade Hurricane in the loft......

Anyway, once the airframe was complete, I gave it a quick coat of grey primer.

DSCN5791.JPG

I use Hycote Acrylic primer in an aerosol can, intended for cars but gives a lovely finish on models. This revealad a few areas needing some rubbing down, and three areas needing a smear filler - the right side of the radiator bath, the underside of the RH tailplane, and the back edge of the under-fuselage fillet.

DSCN5797.JPG

The tiniest bit of Superfine Milliput sorted these out, before the next coat of primer.

Excellent progress Bill. It should look rather good in the comic book scheme. Will you be hand painting the skulls?

That's my dilemma at the moment. I've been looking for any kind of decal or stencil that would help, but no luck so far. Given that painting over red is such a pain, I will probably give the relevant areas a coat of white, then cut masking tape in the shape of the skulls, and spray the red over it. I'm still not sure though, I usually get more time to think stuff like this through, most of my builds run for months!

Cheers,

Bill.

Here's my own humble suggestion. Design some decals using a suitable drawing programme. Do the outlines to the skulls and any parts inside the skull that need colour in as close a match to your red paintwork as you can manage. You can then print on white decal film and cut the decals as close to the red outlines as possible so that it gets 'lost' in the paintwork.

peebeep

That's a good idea. My only attempt at decal printing to date was an outright failure, black laser onto clear decal paper - no joy!

Printing with the inkjet may work better, any recommendations on brands of suitable decal paper? I guess a quick coat of Klear would seal the ink.

One day I'll get around to buying a Craft Robo, it would be ideal for cutting masks. I've always got a better use for that couple of hundred quid though!

Cheers,

Bill.

Here's this morning's effort, done while I should have been working!

Skull_grey.jpg

Looking good!

Sometimes I'm so glad I'm self employed......

Touché! I have done a bit this morning but need to get on with some more, otherwise I'll have to make up the time later.

peebeep

All the fiddly bits are on and she's ready for some colour now:

DSCN5800.JPG

I've managed to lose most of the converging stringer effect, if I take it any further it will look far too smooth:

DSCN5802.JPG

...and then I ran out of camera battery!

The wheels, propellor and undercarriage are all in primer now, out with the airbrush next,

Cheers,

Bill.

Looking good Bill. Nice one!

My Johnny Red Hurricane project's stalled, as I've taken on the odious task of converting the wings from a Mk2, you know removing the canon bulges, filling in the ammo access panels, and rescribing the wings as a Mk1 with the Browning access panels.. It's taking rather longer than I'd hoped, and I've already filled in and sanded down one rather pooooer effort! :fool:

Will be watching this with great interest.

Cheers,

Nick

My Johnny Red Hurricane project's stalled, as I've taken on the odious task of converting the wings from a Mk2, you know removing the canon bulges, filling in the ammo access panels, and rescribing the wings as a Mk1 with the Browning access panels..

I thought about removing the outer pair of guns on each B-wing to take this one back to A configuration. I rather like the 12-gun wings though, so I ran with them. I still needed to fill and re-drill the outer pair of openings in each wing though - being offset into the upper wing, the definition as moulded was pretty poor.

Cheers,

Bill.

• 2 weeks later...

I only have access to airbrush equipment during the day, the compressor is too noisy to use at night with a sleeping child and neighbours to consider. Given that I don't have a dedicated workspace, setup time is an issue, so I'd not got very far in painting over the past week.

Yesterday I decided to take a shortcut. I regularly use aerosol acrylic primers, so I followed up yesterday with an aerosol can of Triumph no.32 Signal Red, which I happened to have on the shelf. This is a cellulose paint, which is compatible with the acrylic primer.

Well the job didn't go too badly, but I did end up with some annoying orange-peel effect - this stuff doesn't want to go on as thinly as it would from an airbrush. I needed to polish up the finish, so out with the Brasso - here's how far I've got:

DSCN5811.JPG

Unsurprisingly, the pilot's step was a victim of the polishing and may have been lost forever to the carpet monster. I should have left it off until after the painting, but that's hindsight for you......

Time to give Mr Eduard some more of my hard-earned for another Zoom set to replace the errant piece!

DSCN5812.JPG

The highlighted panel lines are down to residual polish, some further cleaning and re-touching of the cockpit edges needed before the decals go on.

On the subject of the decals, I have some inkjet and laser compatible plain white sheets, all ready to be printed upon. Does anyone have advice on this? The last time I tried doing this on transparent laser paper, the printed decals simply refused to budge from the backing sheet.

Cheers,

Bill.

Looking very nice so far :thumbsup2: This is one project Id never thought of doing and is very impressive :worthy:

Bex

This is one project Id never thought of doing and is very impressive

Thanks for the nice words. I'd never seriously thought about building this one myself, I blame it all on the Johnny Red thread on BM!

Funny thing is I've enjoyed this more than any proper model I've made in recent years. None of my usual self imposed pressures for absolute accuracy, but still scope to add detail as I've seen fit.

Now my eye is being drawn to the Airfix 1/24th Hurricane in the loft.......

Cheers,

Bill.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been waiting until I got some new printer cartridges, before printing the Skull decals. It was the first time I'd done this, all in all I was quite pleased with how the inkjet printer coped with the job.

DSCN5816.JPG

A few quick sprayed coats of Johnson's Klear seemed to do the job, so I got to cutting out the relevant bits and floating them onto the model.

DSCN5819.JPG

To my own amazement, the decals even liked Microsol and settled nicely into the panel lines.

There are tell-tale signs of a white border, which is no surprise given it's all printed onto plain white decal paper. Once it's all set I'll touch in the borders with Caran d'Ache pencils, then give it an overall squirt of Klear to seal it all. Then onto some light weathering and putting on the last few bits,

Cheers,

Bill.

Bill: What a cool wiff, Johnny Red would be proud..! :analintruder:

Cheers,

ggc