HMS Hood 38 1/350th

Phil Reeder

Phil: Great looking up-grades on yer 'ood... carry on smartly...

Cheers,

ggc

Good progress Phil. She's looking great. I'm just reading Roger Chesnau's book on the Hood, don't know if you've seen it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hood-Death-Battlec...925&sr=8-24

A very good read and lots of pictures of the ship at various stages of her career.

Gary :)

Thanks Gary,I`ve reached the stage now were I`m suffering from `Ood book overload,and I`ve a theory that you can have too much info.The only book I`ve actually got with me at the workbench,is the AOTS book,without this, I`d have been lost. Bye Phil

I`ve surprised myself again, the boat-deck is nearly complete,and attached to the model.For the wood effect,I`ve experimented with light and dark brown pastels,applied with a dampen cotton -bud to the bleached-bone paint.It seems to work alright.See you latter Phil

SL271008.jpg

SL271012.jpg

The fittings on the boat-deck have all been painted,and I`ve made a start on the forward superstructure and bridge.The fit of these parts wasn`t as good as the other parts I`ve used so far.A lot of filler was used on the front of the conning tower,but it`s out worked ok.Bye Phil

SL271014.jpg

Beautiful work , just beautiful.. I wish I'd had a fraction of your skill before my butchery of the WE Hood 11 years ago!

Many thanks to Mish,Colin, Sean and all,your encouragement means a lot to me.With all of you rooting for me,I won`t get fed up,and pack the `Ood in!

Colin,that must have been a heck of an expensive bit of `butchery`.Did you convert it back to the pre-war version?You`re a brave man if you did!Another update follows shortly.Bye Phil

Edited by Phil Reeder

I`ve started to detail the lower signal deck,during peacetime `Ood carried 4 3pdr saluting guns on this deck,luckily I found some misshapen 20mm Oerlikons in my spares,which looked about right for shape and size.I added the last of the 5.5"to the boatdeck,so they are all done now.I`ve also attached the next deck level,I`ll have to look at my AOts book to see what goes on there. Bye Phil

SL271015.jpg

I went blindly ahead with the bridge structure,not realizing that the pre-war `Ood didn`t carry the 4 carley floats on either side , instead she had 2 large floats attached at the rear,nor did she have the 3 spars on the sides .Luckily I was able to fill in the location holes,without much trouble. Bye Phil

SL271021.jpg

SL271022.jpg

I`ve started the Admirals bridge deck,this a different shape from the kit parts,luckily ,it was case of removing,the walkway round the front of the bridge,and re-shaping the rear half.It was quite easy to do.I`ve also added the two large Carley floats,to the rear of the bridge. The windows in have been filled in with Mircoscale kristal kleer,very effective ,when dry. Bye Phil

SL271023.jpg

SL271026.jpg

The time has come to start adding some of WEM`s PE,to the rear of the bridge structure.It gave me an excuse to use my new `Toy`,an Etch-mate,which is a vast improvement over the old one I used.Some cleaning up will required,on the PE,when it`s dried . Bye for now Phil

SL271028.jpg

Thanks once again to everyone,If I`m not careful,I`ll be getting a big head,which is against the law in Yorkshire!

Just a quick update,the lower part of the bridge is mostly finished,just some details to be added.I`m not doing the upper part( starfish etc),until later in the build,just in case some ham-fisted old fool damages it(me!) Cheers for now Phil

SL271031.jpg

SL271032.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

Hello Antoine,the only naval website sites ,I know are Steelnavy,Modelwarships,and Modelshipwrights.As these are US based,they have a biased towards USN/IJN subjects.I do wish there was a site devoted to RN and allies.

I`ve start the midships area,beginning with the funnels.For the first time ,I`ve hollowed out the moulded grill,I did this by drilling holes on the inside,then joined the holes up,using a no 11 scapel blade.I was a bit fearful of doing this,but it only took 1/2 an hour to do.Then I attached the PE grill.

bye Phil

SL271033.jpg

SL271035.jpg