HMS Hood 38 1/350th

Phil Reeder

After a period,when I seemed to be in the doldrums,I`ve picked up speed again.I`ve nearly finished the boats,all that are left are the four that are on davits at the deck edge,and two to go in the large open boats.

The Pom-Poms have been painted ,and attached to their relevant places.With the WEM PE,I think these looked the bees-knees.

I`ve started to add the PE to the rear end of the boatdeck, I think the brass lettering included in the WEM set was a nice touch,Bye Phil

SL271070.jpg

SL271069.jpg

SL271067.jpg

I'm also impressed by your progress, especially the speed. I never seem to be able to proceed at anything more than a snail's pace!

Thanks O-JK,I put in about two hours per day, when I`m not working,and I`m semi-retired,and only work three days(Mon,Thurs,and Fri) a week.Having said that,I am working at my local model shop tomorrow,so I`ll slow up a bit,bye for now Phil

Today,I`ve decided to finish the bridge area.I`d planned to use the `starfish`from the WEM PE,having looked at it ,I was daunted by the complex nature of it ,so I used the kit part instead,which doesn`t seem too bad.I altered the control tower on top of the spotting top,by adding a range-finder,I also added the torpedo look-out cabin,just below the starfish .

At the rate this going,hopefully,this model is going to be finished by the end of Aug.Bye Phil

SL271075.jpg

Now that I`ve received the Hood accessory pack,I can make a start on the 15" gun turrets.The Turrets in the kit are highly inaccurate,and I`ve bought a WEM set of turret replacements.I was a bit dubious of how the barrels would mate up with the turrets,but apart from removing the locating tab from the barrels,no probs were encountered.

The pic below is of `B` turret,this will have a `Spanish civil war`red,white and blue bands round it.The Turret looks impressive,even at 350th scale,just think what the real thing looked like.

Not much more to do ,Bye Phil

SL271084.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

I`ve part-painted the 15" turrets,and test fitted them.The two front turrets are each slightly different.however the two aft are identical.The main mast and boat crane have been attached to the model.I replaced the upper mast with plastic tubing and brass rod.

This will be probably the last post for the construction side of things,next photos you`ll see will be of the finished model(I Hope!) bye Phil

SL271087.jpg

SL271088.jpg

I thought I`d do one last post,on the `Mighty `ood`,before the model is finished .I`ve finished all the 15" turrets,and a start has been made on the rigging.

Regarding the order of colours on B turret,some "experts" say that blue should be foremost,however ,looking photos ,I`m convinced that red should be foremost,like RAF fin flashes,but I may be wrong.The blue disc on top of A turret,indicates the at the ship is a flagship,and shouldn`t be `Buzzed`!See you in the `Gallery`in due course. bye Phil

SL271096.jpg

SL271097.jpg

Phil: Simply a lovely build of an iconic ship. Your tribute to the lost crewmen will be appreciated by many who view your effort.

Cheers,

ggc

• 1 month later...