HMS Hood 38 1/350th

Phil Reeder

I`ve decided to join in the fun,hopefully I`m going to build the Mighty `ood as she appeared in 1938.I`ve been thinking about this since the Trumpy kit appeared.I`ve made a start already,by removing the De-gaussing coil(love that word) from the hull.and tomorrow will be in contact with WEM to get the bits I need.Bye for now Phil

A good start has been made ,I`ve finished the lower hull .painted with Halfords red primer,also I`ve removed the projections above the anchors.The main deck parts have been attached to the upper hull,I must say they fitted perfectly,very little filling will be required.I`m on my way now! see you

,Phil

SL270977.jpg

SL270978.jpg

Today,I`ve made the base,and attached the lower hull.I used 2 screws to hold it firmly to the base,as well as CA,this is because it will be travelling to Telford in November(fingers crossed).I`ve ordered the AOTS book on the Hood ,in the hope it will clear up a few points I`m doubtful about.See you soon Phil

SL270983.jpg

SL270986.jpg

Phil Reeder Posted Jul 13 2008, 08:04 AM

I've made a start already,by removing the De-gaussing coil(love that word) from the hull.

Please excuse my ignorance Phil but what is a De-gaussing coil & why did you remove it.

Please excuse my ignorance Phil but what is a De-gaussing coil & why did you remove it.

Because Phil is representing 'is 'ood as pre-war and de-gaussing wasn't invented until Germany started to use magnetic mines during WWII. The coil counters the magnetic field set up by the ship's hull and prevents the mines from going off.

peebeep

Very sorry for using naval terms,`De-gausing` saved many ships during WW2,there is one incident,were the vessel entered habour with the coil switched on,and as soon she had tied up alongside,it was switched off,and immediately the ship was blown up by a magnetic mine,laid during an air-raid on the port.

Latter in the war ,they didn`t use the coil,but instead the ship was "wiped",by having copper wire placed round the hull ,and a high-voltage electric was passed through it,for a short time.Most sailors left the vessel ,if they could,as rumour had it,that this would interfere with their manhood!

happy De-gausing !Phil

daz greenwood Posted Yesterday, 07:28 PM

Dave the de-gaussing coil was used for eliminating the magnetic field from magnetic mines mate.

peebeep Posted Yesterday, 07:47 PM

Because Phil is representing 'is 'ood as pre-war and de-gaussing wasn't invented until Germany started to use magnetic mines during WWII. The coil counters the magnetic field set up by the ship's hull and prevents the mines from going off.

Many thanks for the explanation gents. Its amazing what you learn on this site. Cheers :thumbsup2:

Phil Reeder Posted Yesterday, 08:20 PM

Very sorry for using naval terms,`De-gausing`

No need for apolagies Phil, I'm pleased you mentioned it.

As a result of your post I've read a bit more about de-gaussing & gained an insight into a subject I knew nothing about.

All in all fascinating stuff.

Keep up the excelent work. :thumbsup:

Right ,back to business,I`ve painted the upper hull Light gray(AP597C).and masked off the 15" barbettes,and the anchor area,prior to painting the deck ,Teak.I`ve test fitted the U/hull to the lower one,and it`s almost a perfect fit.Thank goodness!

See you later Phil

SL270988.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

The main deck is now painted,I decided to use a lighter colour than that I used on the Scharnhorst,because the `Ood was a much older ship,and years of exposure to the elements ,would have bleached the wood .Bye Phil

SL270992.jpg

The main deck is now painted,I decided to use a lighter colour than that I used on the Scharnhorst,because the `Ood was a much older ship,and years of exposure to the elements ,would have bleached the wood .Bye Phil

SL270992.jpg

And years of holy-stoning as well I'd imagine. What did you use for the deck colour in each case?

Joseph

Hi Joseph,I used Citadel Acrylics "Bleached Bone" as a basis for my Teak colour.For the Scharnorst I added a bit of their yellow,and for the Hood I added a good deal of white.Citadel paints are very strong colours,and they are easy to make darker,but need large quantities of white to made them lighter. Bye for now Phil

During the period I`m modelling the Hood,she carried three anchors,I had to delve into my spares box ,to find one suitable,luckily ,I found one.

All the deck fittings have added to the foscle.The bollards were painted black,and the anchor chains were white,all the rest of the fittings were lt gray.

As this was the Pre-war`spit-and-polish`Navy,she was kept in immaculate condition,was very little or no weathering, More to follow Bye Phil

PICT0001-1.jpg

Your 'ood, is looking good..! Sharp looking Battle Cruiser... :pirate:

Cheers,

ggc

The time period,I`ve chosen to do the `Ood is Dec`37 to May `38.This is after much research in the various books I have.The main and secondary guns were unchanged(8X15",12X5.5"),however the A/A armament was as follows6X 4" singles,3X8 2pdr pom-poms,and 4X4 0.5"mgs.Much conversion work will be required to the kit,particularly to the boat deck area.But this is type of thing I like,so "Full steam ahead"! bye Phil

Edited by Phil Reeder

The first bit of conversion work has been started,the openings for the 5.5" guns ,and I`ve put all the internal bulkheads in,also I`ve attached the aft parts of the boatdeck.

I only hope that Trumpeter don`t release a 1931 version of her in 1/350th,as they did with the 700th kit! Bye Phil

SL270993.jpg

SL270994.jpg

WEM`s resin 5.5" guns are little gems,they come in two parts ,the barrel,complete with blast cover. and gun shield.I`ve test fitted the boat-deck,before I carry out major surgery on it.Seem s to have no fit problems. Bye Phil

SL270996.jpg

SL270997.jpg

All the 5.5" guns have been finished and attached to the main deck.I`ve made a start to the boat-deck,by removing all splinter -screens.

SL271000.jpg

5.5" in place

SL271001.jpg

The underside of the boat-deck,with the areas that need to be removed ,shaded.

Bye for now Phil

Phew!The major op`on the the boat-deck is nearly finished.I was a bit nervous about that one.but it turned out easier than I thought.A start has been made filling in the location holes,for the ready-use lockers,not carried on the `38 version.Good progress today.Bye Phil

SL271007.jpg