1/35 NZLAV

Dave

Today's the day guys and girls!

This build consists of the AFV Club Stryker M1126 kit and the very comprehensive NZLAV (LAV III) conversion set produced by Real Model. I'm going to post some piccies that I took in preparation for the start of the GB.

The NZLAV conversion consists of predominately resin and photo etch parts, there is also a metal gun barrel included (produced by Barrel Depot). Here's a few pics to show the breakdown of the replacement parts:

DSCF0551a.jpg

DSCF0552a.jpg

DSCF0553a.jpg

DSCF0554a.jpg

DSCF0555a.jpg

and now the staggering amount of photo etch included:

DSCF0556a.jpg

DSCF0557a.jpg

I'll get some more images posted later today, first job will be to mount the resin upper hull to the AFV Club lower hull.

Edited by Dave

Cheers chaps.

I know Steve, it's a bit of a fright isn't it? Once in a blue moon job I think.

I also have my eye on their Canadian LAV III conversion - maybe in a few months time if this build goes well :whistle:

Edited by Dave

Thanks Pete.

If all goes to plan it should look something like this when it's finished:

nzlav_03_of_59a.jpg

I've made a start by removing the waste resin from the upper hull, this was done by repeatedly scoring it with the tip of my scalpel blade.

A nice fit between the hull halves, no warping of the resin at all:

DSCF0560a.jpg

The next step is to fit the rear hull plate, the part which the ramp is fitted to. This is a little more involved as it will require some reshaping first. The two upper corners need to be removed as the profile of the LAVIII is slightly different than that of the Stryker. It's not as square, it's more angular (I hope that I'm making sense to you all).

I'll try to crack on and get some pictures on later today.

Edited by Dave

The rear hull plate has been fitted, I cut the plate into two parts and then sanded back each of the edges.

It was a little trying at times, but with careful cutting and sanding it just about fit.

DSCF0582a.jpg

Suspension and the wheels next.

Edited by Dave

Wow Dave, that's a lot of resin...! and P/E too...! Have you done this sort of model before..?? The molding looks first class, good luck w/it.

Cheers,

ggc

I have been working on the wheels this morning. I'd heard that as nice as the resin replacements are, they're not a major improvement over the kits supplied jobs. There is a slight bulge to give the impression of weight, but as far as I can see that's about it. See what you guys think:

DSCF0587a.jpgDSCF0588a.jpg

I think that I'll stick with the original kit wheels.

A couple more to do and then it's on with the suspension.

Hi ggc, sorry missed your reply originally. It is a well produced package and so far it's been a joy to work with. I have built resin kits and conversions before, some recently have been more of a chore (they've been put aside for now). This one so far is good.

Edited by Dave

Guest snipersmudge

Hi Dave, yes not much difference re the wheels, the only advantage I can see is that the resin wheels won't deteriorate over time. The rubber wheels may break down after a while although I have never had this experience. One thing i have found with rubber type wheels is that they can be a bitch to paint and weather.

Pete

Great looking details and construction Dave..!

Cheers,

ggc