Concorde as a nuclear strike aircraft

Keef , Well you'll just have to go out and build another one then , wont you :winkgrin:

Graham not with me you wont.....Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!! :blink:

Thanks Zeke , a bit of mid-wiffery never hurt anyone......... :bouncy: .

Tizzy , the time for that has long passed , :chair: as I would say 'Don't be ridiculous, Darling. The Hero of M'boto Gorge, mad? Well, you've only got to look at him to see he's as sane as I am! Beeaaah!

Time for my medication...........

Thanks again all,

Andy

Edited by general melchett

Thanks Adrian , yes you are right about that , I've had that yearbook from new !! and that picture has always interested me ever since I was a nipper , Playboy has the same effect oddly enough :hypnotised:

Windy, ( not a reference to any personal problems I hope :shocked: !!) why on earth not , the USAF had the idea of using them to test airborne lasers to shoot down missiles. so why not the RAF in some form.....

abl-in-flightMedium.jpg

Cheers ,

Andy

Keef , Well you'll just have to go out and build another one then , wont you :winkgrin:

OK General. Just as soon as Tamiya release the 48th scale kit.....!!!! :lol:

And I think a 747 would probably be more useful to the RAF as a tanker - might carry just enough to get a Concorde nuke carrier low level to Moscow.....!!! :whistle:

Keef

Edited by keefr22

Thanks everyone , Keef I hear Trumpeter are doing 1/24th scale one in 2040 :rofl: , don't know about getting to Moscow, getting over the county border would be nice :S

Thanks F32, nice of you see to say so ! , few more in the (long) pipeline,

Kiwi and Angels , yes , sigh, what might have been ( typical GB ,awesome workforce ,lousy management , nothing changes!!!!!!!! :mg: :mg: :mg: ).

Cheers,

Andy

Marvellous idea and build General.

You've got the old Whiffy juices flowing now.

Hmm, maybe an RAF Beluga C1 or a Super Guppy C1?

One question, what kit was your Tu-144 built from? That's a very nice build too.

Phil.

Dude that is awesome! Now you have to build another in the Vulcan's green/grey scheme, maybe a Black Buck mission? :)

D

Very nice build Herr General (my door will be open tonight, no pressure)

Way back in the RAF, I worked with a guy who swore he'd seen Concorde plans with hard points built into the wings.

Maybe it was as a way of ferrying spare engines ala 747?

So there you go, pylons & some sort of self defense missile system could be possible, or even drop tanks!

Cheers

Pete in Riyadh

Thanks chaps, Phil ,how about a Transport command Concorde or an RAF C5a , missile equipped VC-10 or Trident ?, the list is endless B)

The TU-144 is the old Nitto kit from years back, I modified it by drooping the nose and making custom decals depicting the prototype as seen at the 1969 Paris airshow ,(the kit's were the wrong colour and size and sun damaged) and the exhausts were donated by a couple of Minicraft backfires (same NK-144 engines!).Nose wheel has been scratchbuilt as kit's is way off. It's scale is odd being 1/136th but that's near enough to 1/144 to make no difference , it's a work in progress as I have yet to finish the windscreen unit and add window decals, as soon as it's done I'll post it .

Couple of early shots of WIP,

Temporary fitting of undercarriage (note wonky sit and Blue Tack!!!).

P1030379Medium.jpg

This shows where window decals will go

P1030382Medium.jpg

Shows new exhausts for NK-144's got a bit of light weathering to do around this area , ( excuse dust ,spare room , where's that wife !!). :analintruder:

P1030380Medium.jpg

P1030015Medium2.jpg

P1030011Medium.jpg

P1030007Medium.jpg

The real thing

cccp-68001aMedium.jpg

Damian , thanks, a few people have done the camo version, good idea bout the 'Black Buck' job though .(now there's a thought :hmmm: shrikes and air defence sidewinders !!!)

Danke, Von 'Red Baronhofen Pete ( in Riyadh ;) )' , I'll break out the ointment in anticipation :sick: Anything is possible here!! It's been mentioned several times that people have seen plans for possible military versions , be nice to see something to that effect some day..........

Thanks again all ,

Cheers ,

Andy

Aeroplane driver old chap .Fraid I'm not really that interested in most what-if's ( more what-might -have-beens as in projects that were actually considered rather than several kits cobbled together ,very good that lots of them are but that's just me :blink: ) but thanks for comments.

Whiffery is a broad church - "from almost true to completely crazy" as someone once said. You'll find plenty of guys on there (Thorvic for example) who only do the "project cancelled" type of model. You should also try the Overkiller's Secret Projects forum (but most of the folks there are members on the What If boards as well ;) )

Anyway, fantastic model :worthy:

Fantastic build and it makes me think that if you can turn an SST into a nuclear bomber, then why not turn a prototype nuclear bomber into an SST?

Given that the American SST failed to come to fruition and NASA had a spare Valkyrie sitting around then why not sell it to Pan American.

Now where's my AMT/Ertl 1/72 XB-70?

Fantastic build and it makes me think that if you can turn an SST into a nuclear bomber, then why not turn a prototype nuclear bomber into an SST?

Given that the American SST failed to come to fruition and NASA had a spare Valkyrie sitting around then why not sell it to Pan American.

Now where's my AMT/Ertl 1/72 XB-70?

That sounds like a great idea. On a vaguely related note, there was a Northrop proposal to do a flying wing airliner, using a lot of the work done on the development of the B-35/B-49. Far too different from the bombers for a conversion though - anyone fancy a scratchbuild?!!!

Thanks Nev , totally agree with you , don't get me wrong a lot of those models are really good and I like the thinking behind them. Thanks for HU, in fact I'm a member of both forums you mention. Geoff's models are great and I love the way he executes them , I am in the process of building a couple of these myself , the P42 hypersonic fighter design , Fairey Delta 111, and Hawker high speed research aircraft (amazing what you can find at B and Q :jump_fire: ) .Truly inspirational stuff :analintruder:

Good point Unlike ,why not a bit of reverse engineering :wicked: Feasibility studies were carried out on making the XB-70 and a developed version of the B58 into SST's but they didn't get far ( more's the pity!), even the Tupolev 22M was considered, how about these,

Why's it flying in space !!!!!!

lindberg569Medium.jpg

General Dynamics B58 development ,looks a lot like the Russian MYA M50 !

425-General_Dynamics_Hustler_SST_co.jpg

Very rare Lindberg kit

TWAMACH3LEFTREARANGLEMedium.jpg

Thanks again,

Andy

Ah ha! But the real supersonic V-Bomber was the 8 jet Avro 720 which entered service with 27 squadron. Here is a somewhat shaky clandestine picture with its recce partner the TSR2!

David

AVRO.jpg

Very nice BigReg B) , I take it that's 1/72nd scale, if so did you scratch it ?? ( if you know what I mean!). The only kit I know of is the Fantastic Plastic, resin job ( and that's more a desktop and 1/144th , though they are revamping it this year).Shame bout the real thing , what a plane that might have been ,ended it's days as bins for factory scrap :hypnotised:

You can't get away with that , how about some proper shot's of the beauty :jump_fire:

Hang on ,just noticed the Ikea cabinet's ( same as I use), that would make it 1/144th ?

Cheers,

Andy

Yes it is indeed 144th as is the TSR2 and the TSR2 Swordfish. The AVRO is the Nostalgic plastic resin model with a scratch built undercarriage and is the most expensive lump of resin I have bought.

I will do better pictures tonight.

Regards

David

... and Hawker high speed research aircraft (amazing what you can find at B and Q :jump_fire: )

Now hold on General! You found a Hawker high speed research aircraft in B&Q? And what section would that have been in.....??!!! :P

Nice Concordski by the way....! B)

Keef

My father used to work with a guy who lives at the bottom of Boscombe's runway, he swears he saw a camouflaged Concorde once............................probably a B-1........................probably ;)