Concorde as a nuclear strike aircraft

Keef, being totally barking and having a job that allows me a lot of time off really ,really helps , oh, plus a low boredom threshold !!!!. I've also got the Sea Vixen but haven't even opened the placcy bags yet ! ( heard too many horror stories, but that sort of kit is par for the course for me>>>>>).;just for a laugh these are the models I've got on the go at the mo,

Magna Sperrin, Airfix Vulcan B2, Matchbox Victor B2 , Mach 2 Valiant, 1/48th MPM Heinkel 177, AMT XB35 flying wing and XB70 Valkyrie , Monogram B36 Peacemaker, Otaki C5A Galaxy,Airfix/Esci J37 Viggen, Amodel M50 Bounder, Amodel 3m Bison, Airfix Sunderland ,3 scratch build secret projects , A JS3 Stalin tank !!, ISU 152 tank destroyer , Heller Scania 141 artic and trailer ,Amodel TU-128 Fiddler , SU-11, Yak 25PP ,YAK 38U , LA-250 Anaconda , Thunderbirds 'Fireflash' airliner !!, Zvezda TU-160, Monogram F106A Delta Dart and F100D, 3 more Revell Boeing 2707 SST's, Huma JU 288, Monogram 1/48th B58 , Trumpeter IL 76 and a pile of resin/vinyl ,fantasy/ sci fi stuff .(and these are only the ones that are more than 80% finished ..........................really must get round to getting a life at some point !!!!!). In all I've got over 75 models in stash and dozens of mint rare collectables (including all the old FROG V-bombers). I find it difficult to just do one at a time unless I've been given a deadline.

A lot of these are done to commission Keef so that acts as an incentive to get them done quick !!..................

If you like the P42 I think you will really like the others I have planned !!

Cheers,

Andy

Yes General, you are mad! Quite mad....... :P:D (and you must live in an old Lancaster hangar to have the space even to keep the w.i.p's!!)

Truth be told I have about a dozen 'in progress' models, but my progress is usually measured in geological time!! For example my Blue Steel 617 sqn Vulcan has been a w.i.p. since 7/12/1984 - the day after my son was born!! I thought I'd better start it then as I wouldn't get time to work on it after the missus brought him home from hospital :rolleyes::lol: !!!!

The xtrakit Sea Vixen is no problem at all to build, but although I'm by no means a rivet counter (if it looks right,it is right) the build has stalled a bit because as I was sanding it down it just struck me there was something wrong with the nose. Took it to the club meeting last Weds & the guys all agreed that the nose shape/lower fuselage area is way out! B*gger, it's one of my favourite ever aircraft & I was all fired up to get it done, hoping at last we had the definitive 72nd Sea Vixen.

Anyways, show us some pics when you get all those projects finished (!!!) - looking forward to them!!

Keef

Thanks fella's , Pete ( no longer in Riyadh), like it ....... :wicked:

Versace!

The designer bomber!

For Nuking with Style

Total annihilation , but with a classic per-fume,............ get noticed.......armageddon with style, grace and elegance!!

Pete , as far as I know no weapons were to be carried as the aircraft would have been just a proof of concept machine , in fact it was just one in a long line of P42 designs ( some being really wacky :hypnotised: !!!). My original plan was to build quite a few and start a collection of proposed research planes, but you know how things pan out !!! I'll finish these few and then take it from there.

Keef .......

Vulcan has been a w.i.p. since 7/12/1984
... For Heavens sake man you do realise that that's almost the length of time it's been out of service :deadhorse: ........

Mind you I can talk , I've got a Frog Whitley that I started in 1975 and though I've' titivated' it here and there it still isn't done :fraidnot:....Luckily I've got a big attic, all kitted out with work tables, etc with the said WIPS on, covered with light weight sheets ( like refugees from some old horror movie!). just drag one out now and then and have a go at finishing it.

Interesting what you say' bout the Vixen , one of the worst things about the old FROG kit was the stubby nose cone and overfat forward fuselage section...sounds like things haven't got very far :innocent: Must say I'm a bit surprised at this as there's so much reference material around :angry:....As for building it , I'll let you go first so that I can see what lies ahead.. :evil_laugh:

Will post shots of P42's when done,

Cheers once again,

Andy

Oooooohhhhhhh........Sah!

I do like your progress on the P.42! It's one I've looked at, but at the mo other stuff has me in it's grip!

Yeap, the P.42 was unarmed, it was intended as a hypersonic research vehicle, a later variant had a broadened fuselage to include an internal bay for a small satellite launcher. Some of the alternate layouts were indeed quite exotic, the final goal was to create an airbreathing, hypersonic first stage for a British manned winged spacecraft.

Your build would make a fitting companion for this little beauty....

1134019.jpg

The Hawker P.1134 as built by Geoff Baker, AKA Geoff_B, AKA Thorvic...

P.1134 on What-if Forum

:cheers:

Duncan

• Like 1

Thanks Duncan, yes I've seen Geoff's work ,wonderful (must be honest it was his stuff that got me going :analintruder: ). One of the other planes underway is the single finned version of the P1134 as shown in Josef Gatial's amazing artwork,

SDV.jpg

So many wonderful designs to choose from :jump_fire:

My big, long term project is a 1/72nd Handley Page HP100 12 engined monster from the 50's......... ( ssshhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone !!!). That should be done by Xmas, all being well....

Very basic plan view........

730hpage.jpg

Cheers ,

Andy

Sah!

your HP-100 (when finished) would go down a treat over on the What-if Forum, at the moment an un-official Handley Page tribute GB is shaping up (the main reason I plan to try my hand at the HP-99), I originally considered the HP-100 for this, but Geoff suggested a way to build the HP-99 using a Matchbox Victor fuselage suitably cut down and reshaped (the Revell kit is too nice to butcher), offcuts from a B-52 wing and engine pods.... Of course this will mean I will have to try my hand at the Avro 721, the Avro rival to the HP-99 :winkgrin:

Annnnyway, back to the Concorde/Bombcorde, I was in Hobbycraft today and they had a 1/72 Concorde on the shelves, was tempted but I'm staying firm on my plans, next big kit will be a Revell Atlantique, plan this one for an alternate SAAF theme.... Though I may well try to get my hands on a Minicraft 1/144 B-1A and turn it into one of the interceptor proposals.

:cheers:

Duncan

.... using a Matchbox Victor fuselage suitably cut down and reshaped (the Revell kit is too nice to butcher),

Ummm - but they're one & the same??? :shrug:

Whatever, sounds a mighty interesting (& impressive) project!!

Keef

Duncan ,your HP 99 sounds like an interesting idea :hmmm: and I like the sound of the HP tribute build :analintruder: Have to have a butchers at what's going on!!!!!!!!!!

The HP 100 should be a reasonably straight forward build looking at the various references I have for it, in fact the only details I don't have relate to the U/C , ( bit of poetic licence required here me thinks!). So many projects to finish, but I think Nov/Dec is realistic as a time frame. The Airfix 1/72nd Concorde is a bit of a pig by all accounts so I don't know if I would fancy that or not , I'm more tempted by the 1/100th Doyusha kit as it's a lot more accurate ,and would fit in nicely with my FROG 1/96th V-bombers :jump_fire: Revell Atlantique sound cool....it's a great kit by all accounts , look forward to seeing it done...

Keef ,

(the Revell kit is too nice to butcher),

I must admit the same thought crossed my mind :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I've just realised one of my posts is missing!! I'd actually replied (or thought I did :wacko: ) to your HP100 post - something along the lines of I'd been confused as to how they'd be able to fit 12 engines to the old Handley Page first world war bomber! And then the drawing you posted showed that I was confuddling it with the 0/100 !!! :doh: !!

Waiting to see that one finished is another reason to look forward to Christmas!!! :D

Keef

Keef , I see that like me old age and senility are leaving their mark on you :clif: ... Now I never thought about that one ....an HP 0/100 'bloody Paralyser' with twelve reheated turbojets, think the phrase ....'she's nay gonna take it captain' and 'she's breaking up, she's breaking up' spring to mind but hey you never know...( come to think of it I've got an old Airfix 0/100 in the stash somewhere........ :hmmm:).

Hopefully Santa will have a few more goodies in his sack (boy at the back... stop giggling!!!), for all the good children :wicked:

Andy

Dunno why I've only just got to this one..... Bl**dy brilliant...... yep think that covers it...... Like Nick said, you really should post this over on the What If site, the lads will lap-it-up.

Ian

Just as a comparison , It's amazing just how big the 'Bombcorde' would have been :hypnotised: . Makes the Vulcan look small and even the TSR 2 ( which would have been it's tactical cousin and no tiddler itself !!), almost tiny.... imagine this in 1/72 !!!!

Sorry about the rubbish photo's , got caught short :jump_fire:

P1030416Medium.jpg

P1030415Medium.jpg

Excuse lack of wheels on TSR2 ...gotta find some the right size :fight:

P1030419Medium.jpg

P1030417Medium.jpg

Thanks,

Andy

Melchie,

Silly question, but on your Bombcorde, how do the pilots see for final approach and landing? Just a thought!

She looks nice though, I always thought that the RAF should have been given a couple of jets when they came out of BA service to serve as "Blairforce One". Now that would have been the way for HMQ or Bliar to arrive on official visits. (Thinks to self, I have a Concorde or two in the stash...... Light Aircraft Grey overall with darker Ascot lightning flash a long the window line and toned down RAF markings. If only I had the time!!!)

Silly question, but on your Bombcorde, how do the pilots see for final approach and landing? Just a thought!

Curiously enough, I was just wondering that myself :hmmm:

Blairforce one... I like it! :lol:

Curiously enough, I was just wondering that myself :hmmm:

Blairforce one... I like it! :lol:

In Buttlers book of secret jet bombers the AVRO 720 shown earlier in this thread was supposed to use a periscope. (these would have been declared surplus by the navy as the nuclear deterent would have stayed with the RAF and a whole load of Polaris boats would not have been required)

David

Hi chaps , it's a good question, David is right , the choice would either have been a periscope system as fitted to the Avro 720 or an early EVS as fitted to the B52G and H , a British nuclear bomb , the Red Beard was to have been fitted with a TV guidance system that could easily have been developed for this purpose or as in the original Concorde a retracting forward panel that slid forward and down to reveal a windshield and twin periscopes for landing flare out ...( the other alternative could have been a total blind landing system such as a developed version of the Smiths autoland unit used on the Trident.

Here's how the Avro periscope would have looked, a bit ungainly but the Ruskies have been using them for years :coolio:

EWEREEEEEMedium.jpg

Interesting to speculate, :hmmm:

cheers,

Andy

Here's how the Avro periscope would have looked, a bit ungainly but the Ruskies have been using them for years :coolio:

EWEREEEEEMedium.jpg

Interesting to speculate, :hmmm:

cheers,

Andy

I just love the light in that 'painting' - quotes as I'm guessing its CGI? Lovely picture however it was done, really has a wonderfully ethereal sci-fi feel to it!

Keef

Just backtracking through the thread again, admiring the models, and I realize I've been using the wrong designation to the aircraft I would like to see in 1/72 scale, I should have said the Avro 730. That's the one I would really like to have. the 720 is a little rocket/turbojet combo fighter. http://members.aol.com/nicholashl/ukspace/...vro720_side.gif

Mind you this other one above is really interesting, I'm remembering reading about it in the BSP book, going to get that out again and have another read I think. Wasn't there something about when it was fully loaded it had all those wheels on the main bogie and as it took off, the outer ones were ejected so when it returned it just landed on the inner wheels

Edited by kitnut617

Here for comparison are some Deltas, FD1, Avro 707, Avro 720 and Avro Vulcan B2 all in 144!

David

avros.jpg

As I've just written above, this got me confused, that is really the Avro 730 not the 720

Thanks , agree with you Keef, painting has wonderful ambience ( as do most of his creations ), yep all CGI , very clever fella :speak_cool:

Kitnut , must be catching , I've been calling it that as well :banghead: ...(got one of the 720's on the go as well using 2 Airfix blue Steel's and plasticard ).

Your quite correct , the main outer wheels were to be jettisoned after take off due to all up weight when fully fueled and' weaponed ', later version was to have revised maingear ( 4 bigger wheels) and out riggers ( double wheels) plus 8 new engines housed in squared nascelles ( 4 in each). Apparently mockup was almost done and prototype was in advanced state before project was cancelled :angry: here's how it would have looked ,

Avro730_2-1Medium.jpg

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks , agree with you Keef, painting has wonderful ambience ( as do most of his creations ), yep all CGI , very clever fella :speak_cool:

Hi Andy,

Does he have a website or anywhere where more of his work can be viewed? I've liked all his paintings you've posted so far, very inspiring! (not that I currently need any more inspiration - more perspiration in getting something built I think!!) I tried googling his name, but got nowt...

Keef

PS is anyone else having trouble with photobucket not loading images tonight? I can't see the one in your last post Andy, & the same thing is happening in other threads/forums. Just wondering if it's only my cranky old PC or is anyone else also having trouble.......

Keef , shouldn't really ad anyone elses sites but try 'Secret Projects.co.uk' and look for 'post war secret projects' then 'planes pictures' and look for art work of Josef Gatial.....tons of stuff there ( you have to join to see images!).

Had a prob with the old bucket earlier today but seems OK now :thumbsup2:

Andy

Kitnut , must be catching , I've been calling it that as well :banghead: ...(got one of the 720's on the go as well using 2 Airfix blue Steel's and plasticard ).

Your quite correct , the main outer wheels were to be jettisoned after take off due to all up weight when fully fueled and' weaponed ', later version was to have revised maingear ( 4 bigger wheels) and out riggers ( double wheels) plus 8 new engines housed in squared nascelles ( 4 in each). Apparently mockup was almost done and prototype was in advanced state before project was cancelled :angry: here's how it would have looked ,

Cheers,

Andy

Now that 720 would be interesting to see, I thought it looked quite a bit like an early XF-92. I think Freightdog are releasing a model of the 720, pretty sure I read that somewhere, Colin' taken over the project from someone else I think.

I wonder how they were going to control all those bouncing wheels once they were jettisoned, just watching a wheel come off a race car is frightening enough.

All the paintings are really something, as are the models here.

Cheers,

Robert

Thanks Robert, again I have to agree with you the 720 does look very similar to the xf92 ( think the tech was going down the same road in the days when there was a lot of exchanged information , sadly mostly one way traffic , just look at the Miles M52 and Bell X1 fiasco !!).My model is in very early stage but will post more on it later as it takes shape.

Didn't know Colin was releasing one , must find out more :coolio:

What you say about the wheels of the 730 bouncing all over the place is quite true ,unless they fitted parachutes to each one I have visions of mayhem similar to the ME321 Gigant glider dropping it's massive U/c which bounced for hundreds of yards in any direction it fancied :mental: the 730 would have had 4 and these would have gone in all directions..................

Andy