Concorde as a nuclear strike aircraft

Balsa, knife, sandpaper, plans, sanding sealer, paint and decals!!!

Also in the cabinet are FD2, BAC 221, BP 111, EE P1, P1127

The men in the white coats are waiting for me!

But to keep it on topic could they have taken the wings and powerplant from concorde and put it on a mid wing fuselage?

David

David , do you mean for military use?, why not, the wing proved highly efficient at most speeds and the Olympus turned into one of the most powerful engines ever produced , marry that to a suitable fuselage and you would have a potent aircraft, something along the lines of the Fairey Delta 3 would have proved useful ( if it hadn't been for Mr Sandys and his big axe :fight: ).Here's a few shots, notice a passing resemblence to the Mirage IVA , this was designed some time before that but who knows with these EU types :rolleyes:

fd3_4Medium.jpg

fd3_02Medium.jpg

Oh what might have been :jump_fire:

You must have a lot of patience if you've carved that lot out...., fantastic , the BAC221 is of relevance here due to it's development use regards Concorde wing shape,

Think they'll be carting us both off at this rate :lol:

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by general melchett

Yes indeed, as my namesake would put it ,

'I see. Is this genuinely mad? ........ Or has he simply put his underpants on his head and stuffed a couple of pencils up his nose? That's what they all used to do in the Sudan. I remember I once had to shoot a whole platoon for trying that. .... :doh: ,

I think that answers your question !!!!

So the Avro 720 isn't as big as I thought, a B-52 is bigger. Very nice models BTW.

Anyway when people say big, I'm thinking this, 747 versus Nimrod, both are in 1/72:

747versusNimrod.jpg

Flippin' ,blinkin 'eck , :jump_fire: :jump_fire: :jump_fire::wow: you'll need a pilot's license for the damn thing ...where on earth are you going to put it ,other than a hanger!!!!

Hate to ask how much that cost!!!!! Are you making it any time soon or do you have to wait to buy up the worlds glue supply....????????

So many questions , so little time...........

Good grief man....

Andy

Flippin' ,blinkin 'eck , :jump_fire: :jump_fire: :jump_fire::wow: you'll need a pilot's license for the damn thing ...where on earth are you going to put it ,other than a hanger!!!!

Hate to ask how much that cost!!!!! Are you making it any time soon or do you have to wait to buy up the worlds glue supply....????????

So many questions , so little time...........

Good grief man....

Andy

Well I'm drawing up a display cabinet which will go in the basement, this will have to be big enough for all my models but for now I'm planning on it being 8 feet long by 8 feet high by 3 feet wide (I'll probably make this 4 feet) I haven't decided on how many shelves it will get as I have two of these 747's, one will be a shuttle carrier including a shuttle and the other one I'm planning on a conversion, the Boeing C-X proposal which eventually went to the Lockheed Galaxy. Which I have to say I also have a model of in 1/72 scale (thanks to Dave T). I've decided to build a couple of other large models first though which I hope to get going on this year, a 1/72 C-17 and a CC-150 (Airbus A310) both vacuforms and both will be Canadian Forces colours & markings.

I got the 747 through Hannants, http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=TW05001 , I snapped one up back at the beginning of the year as soon as I saw it listed

Edited by kitnut617

... as I have two of these 747's, one will be a shuttle carrier including a shuttle...

Strewth!!! :blink: Can't wait to see that built!!

I have to say that I never realised a 747 was that much bigger than a Nimblob!!

The advantages of having a basement., eh Andy....???!!!

Keef

So you like small stuff then eh :analintruder: That will be quite a collection when finished though you must have one hell of a basement!!.

Is that the ID galaxy you mention ?, if so saw one a couple of years back at a show ...very impressive. I've got a couple of part made Otaki 1/144th C5's and toyed with the idea of joining two together as per a Lockheed project many years ago, (a kind of super zwilling!!!).Now that would be impressive in 1/72nd.

Don't suppose you have any plans for an AN-224 with Buran do you.? :hypnotised: ( got the 1/72nd Amodel MYA 3M +payload in the stash , might have to break it out some time soon :)

Andy

Keef ...daren't have a basement here in flat old Lincolnshire, any more rain and we'd be 20 ft under sea level :P

I like 'em big too... :bouncy: Models as well... B)

Cheers,

ggc

.......toyed with the idea of joining two together as per a Lockheed project many years ago, (a kind of super zwilling!!!).Now that would be impressive in 1/72nd.

It's been done. Was on display at the nat's a few years back apparently.

It's been done. Was on display at the nat's a few years back apparently.

There's a photo of a Twinned C-5 in the Warbird Tech (I think) book, it says that Lockheed had the model displayed in their foyer for the longest time and some reference to them studying the idea. It also says they studied a 'floatplane' version too.

Did you ever hear anything of the one Adrian had a line on Dave?

Very nice Bombcorde, Sah! :speak_cool:

Love your scratchbuilt Grand Slam II's, exactly what bits and bobs did you use out of the spares box, would love to know for future reference :hmmm:

The antiflash white scheme looks good on that beauty, but then again anything looks good on Concorde!

Personally I've always felt a better idea would have been to take the systems/propulsion/aerodynamics developed for the Concorde and repackage them in a wholly new design that was uncompromised from a military point of view. Tupolev studied a number of missile carrying versions of the Tu-144 (and EW versions) and kept coming back to the same problem, ie to many compromises were imposed by the basically civilian nature of the base design. As to naming a Bombcorde, my own preference would be either Vigilant (in keeping with a V-bomber theme) or Excalibur.

One idea I do fancy is the proposed Concorde B follow onto the original Concorde, this got canned when the baseline model failed to set the airline world alight, some details can be found here

Anyway, enough waffle from me, once again top notch job!

:cheers:

Duncan

Thank you guys , again appreciated , Duncan, the GS2's were basically two 1/48th) SU-27(some cheap copy of the Academy kit) wing tip pods reshaped with noses sharpened to match the plan views shown in Tony Buttlers book British Secret Projects Hypersonics, ramjets and missiles. These very thoughtfully are shown in 1/144th scale :analintruder: The wings were made from thin platicard and the boosters shaped from 1 mm plastic rod ( shaped very much like the Bristol Bloodhounds) and the ramjet was made from an ESCI F100D pod cut in half then a small inlet spike fashioned from scrap. Simple and quick,then added decals ,mostly Modelscale bits and bobs!!.

Must agree I like the white too but can't help feeling it would look good in the Nimrod two tone grey colours ( feel another project brewing),

Again I agree that it would have been a compromise driven by it's inherently civilian requirements and as such would have been a substantially different design had it been produced as a military machine, (as you rightly point out the Russians looked at the TU-144 during the early design analysis for what turned out to be the TU-160 blackjack , and look how that turned out ,same could be said of the US B1 as both aircraft ended up looking similar).

Concorde B looks interesting, still a compromise but range was obviously an issue that needed addressing. Anywho I'm glad you like it ,there are a few more ideas from that period that would make great projects ( missile equipped VC-10 and Trident and jet powered Belfast for example , :hmmm: ).................

Cheers all,

Andy

Thanks for the info on the GS2's, Sah! :D

Now then, the Skybolt VC-10 carrier is one I have my eye on, I have a few titbits stored away on the hard drive, the MPA version offered against the Nimrod is nice too!

Though I can crank out oddball, out there What-ifs, my personal preference is for actual project cancelled style work. Right now I have two scratchbuilds on the go in the background, one the HS.1173 (think F-20 Tigershark but 20 years earlier) and an airliner project I'm keeping close to my chest for now.... I am also in the planning stages for a future kitbash to produce the HP.99 Daisy Cutter low altitude bomber, that's probably going to be a winter 08/spring 09 build.

:cheers:

Duncan

When I started my Concorde B.1 I wrote to Phil Buttler, who is a fellow Air-Britain member, to find out if he had any info on the subject. Plus to see if he could suggest a serial number that would have been appropriate. Anyway, it turns out he worked on the Concorde prototype, here's his reply to my query:

Robert,

My best guess would be XW520, which would be a mid-1968 number. As a matter of interest, when I worked on equipment to go on Concorde it was always classed as 'Common Aeronautical Supply' - that is not civilian (CAA or ARB), nor military (AQD), but in the unusual 'CAS' category, meaning it could go immediately to either civilian or military use without further formalities. It would be interesting to know how that came about.....

Best Regards,

Phil

Duncan, I can see we share the same eclectic taste :jump_fire: :jump_fire: :I also prefer project cancelled and also have a few running in the back ground!!! Here's one that's a way on , it's the English Electric P42 (EGA 3280 ) hypersonic fighter design to fly at mach 4.5.

This is the picture that got me going on this project, it is by the brilliant artist Josef Gatiel ( Hope Jozef doesn't mind me showing this!!).I will post more on the project as it progresses.

indexphp.png

This is how the project stands so far (only been at it a few weeks so not that much done). All scratch built from plasticard and the bits bin ( plus a hell of a lot of scribing............should be finished in a few months).

P1030400Medium.jpg

P1030401Medium.jpg

P1030407Medium.jpg

P1030402Medium.jpg

A few more weird and wonderfuls in the early stages that will remain anonymous until later in the year.....

Thanks Graham .....very true top speed in max burner would have been interesting :jump_fire:

My best guess would be XW520, which would be a mid-1968 number. As a matter of interest, when I worked on equipment to go on Concorde it was always classed as 'Common Aeronautical Supply' - that is not civilian (CAA or ARB), nor military (AQD), but in the unusual 'CAS' category, meaning it could go immediately to either civilian or military use without further formalities. It would be interesting to know how that came about.....

Robert , thanks , this is the info that I used to serial the aircraft , thanks for excerpt...

Cheers,

Andy

Duncan, I can see we share the same eclectic taste :jump_fire: :jump_fire: :I also prefer project cancelled and also have a few running in the back ground!!! Here's one that's a way on , it's the English Electric P42 (EGA 3280 ) hypersonic fighter design to fly at mach 4.5.

This is the picture that got me going on this project, it is by the brilliant artist Josef Gatiel ( Hope Jozef doesn't mind me showing this!!).I will post more on the project as it progresses.

indexphp.png

This is how the project stands so far (only been at it a few weeks so not that much done). All scratch built from plasticard and the bits bin ( plus a hell of a lot of scribing............should be finished in a few months).

P1030400Medium.jpg

P1030401Medium.jpg

P1030407Medium.jpg

P1030402Medium.jpg

A few more weird and wonderfuls in the early stages that will remain anonymous until later in the year.....

Thanks Graham .....very true top speed in max burner would have been interesting :jump_fire:

Robert , thanks , this is the info that I used to serial the aircraft , thanks for excerpt...

Cheers,

Andy

Now that, that is a fighter jet!!

Very nice scratchbuilding going on there Andy - how do you find the time to make progress on these myriad projects of yours??!! I can't even seem to get my Xtrakits Sea Vixen finished........

Please keep posting any future progress on this one - looks absolutely tremendous!! :thumbsup:

Keef

Edited by keefr22

Keef, being totally barking and having a job that allows me a lot of time off really ,really helps , oh, plus a low boredom threshold !!!!. I've also got the Sea Vixen but haven't even opened the placcy bags yet ! ( heard too many horror stories, but that sort of kit is par for the course for me>>>>>).;just for a laugh these are the models I've got on the go at the mo,

Magna Sperrin, Airfix Vulcan B2, Matchbox Victor B2 , Mach 2 Valiant, 1/48th MPM Heinkel 177, AMT XB35 flying wing and XB70 Valkyrie , Monogram B36 Peacemaker, Otaki C5A Galaxy,Airfix/Esci J37 Viggen, Amodel M50 Bounder, Amodel 3m Bison, Airfix Sunderland ,3 scratch build secret projects , A JS3 Stalin tank !!, ISU 152 tank destroyer , Heller Scania 141 artic and trailer ,Amodel TU-128 Fiddler , SU-11, Yak 25PP ,YAK 38U , LA-250 Anaconda , Thunderbirds 'Fireflash' airliner !!, Zvezda TU-160, Monogram F106A Delta Dart and F100D, 3 more Revell Boeing 2707 SST's, Huma JU 288, Monogram 1/48th B58 , Trumpeter IL 76 and a pile of resin/vinyl ,fantasy/ sci fi stuff .(and these are only the ones that are more than 80% finished ..........................really must get round to getting a life at some point !!!!!). In all I've got over 75 models in stash and dozens of mint rare collectables (including all the old FROG V-bombers). I find it difficult to just do one at a time unless I've been given a deadline.

A lot of these are done to commission Keef so that acts as an incentive to get them done quick !!..................

If you like the P42 I think you will really like the others I have planned !!

Cheers,

Andy

General,

Love that P 42, one I've never seen before. what sort of armament was proposed?

As for the name for your Bombcorde, French?, beginning with a V?

By the time it was operational after all the mods, it would have been the 80's

So there is only one name...

Versace!

The designer bomber!

For Nuking with Style

Pete (Now appearing on leave in rainy Lincolnshire)