Concorde as a nuclear strike aircraft

Hi gang, :grouphug: I know, I know it's a what-if but I was thumbing through an old Royal Air Force yearbook from 1968 at the weekend and came across a picture of Concorde as a strike aircraft, a painting by the great Arthur Gibson. I thought, what a great idea for a quick build, something a bit different and as I had an ancient Airfix 1/144th Concorde (the 1969 first issue ) in my stash I would have a go at bashing one out ( steady ,steady..). Biggest problem was getting rid of all the windows, a mix of super glue ,green stuff and mr Surfacer 500 came to the rescue. Next problem was weapons load out and here Arthur Gibson shows 3 small missiles attached to the forward fuselage.They are stated as being Blue Steels but they appear far to small so I thought I would have a look through Tony Buttlers great British Secret Projects book on missiles and found some great designs from that time. I finally settled on the Grand Slam 2 which could only have been carried by a 'V' class or bigger aircraft as they were huge, ( VC 10 anybody :analintruder: ?) hence my choice for Concorde ( or what ever it would have been called .....Bombcorde???). He also shows a more conventional cockpit ( which would have been fixed rather than drooping) but as I wanted this done quickly I stuck with the original concorde non glazed unit , a section would have slid down and forward to aid pilots vision. The missiles were scratch built from the bits box and the decals come from Euro decals Victor set and the brand new Freightdog 'pale markings' set. I decided to make it a 100 squadron machine , the serial number is, according to several websites correct, and the aircraft would have been based at RAF Wittering in this alternative universe!. The wise among you would point out that the combination of white and pale markings would have been phased out before this entered service amongst other things but I have based this on the painting rather than historical events..... ( here endeth the lesson :blush: )....Now back to the Sperrin....... :hypnotised:

Hope you like it,

Cheers all ,

Andy

This is the picture that started me off !!

raf-concorde.jpg

P1030291Large.jpg

P1030293Large.jpg

Bear in mind that this is the original Airfix kit that was based on the prototype ,( short tail, more of a pure delta wing and generally a lot shorter !!!).

P1030265Medium.jpg

P1030288Large.jpg

P1030266Medium.jpg

P1030290Large.jpg

Nose showing radome for new radar system

P1030289Large.jpg

Might add a tail wheel at some point !

P1030252Medium.jpg

Scratch built Grand Slam 2 Air Launched Ballistic Missiles.

P1030246Medium.jpg

And fitted to aircraft

P1030251Medium.jpg

P1030270Medium.jpg

Along side my TU-144 ( just coz it got lonely :violin: ...hang on I can feel another missile carrier coming on... :banghead:

P1030267Medium.jpg

Right you are General..!! What a grand concept and even better model..!! I likes it alot... :analintruder:

Cheers,

ggc

Im getting worried about you Andy, you really have a screw loose :tease: And I thought I was a nut job :hmmm:

That looks rather spiffing, I like that alot :worthy::worthy:

Now General, get the ruddy Sperrin finished! Youve had your orders :whip:

Bex

Bex, I think we need to start a 'Hospital' fund for Andy ......... This is more serious than loose screws !!

'V'

Thank you all , appreciated :winkgrin: , I agree it's a great concept if more than a little unlikely , don't think it's combat radius would be too clever without a fair bit of in flight refuelling required, but who knows ( just fun to speculate :elephant: !!!).

Bexy..... a whip ,.... orders!!..................... I'm feeling a strange sensation running through me , no hang on it's the valium kicking in..... :jump_fire: D'you know I might just finish a model that I intended to finish at some point.Tend to get bored quick and wander off , like the old duffer I am , all over the place :mental: Aeroplane driver old chap .Fraid I'm not really that interested in most what-if's ( more what-might -have-beens as in projects that were actually considered rather than several kits cobbled together ,very good that lots of them are but that's just me :blink: ) but thanks for comments.

Geoff...... :shocked:... I wondered how long !!!, Thanks for vote of incontinence !!! I'm considering booking myself into the priory for a spell ( 10 years maybe !!!just as long as they give me a tube of glue ( not to sniff!!!!!!!) and some sheets of plastic :yahoo:

Cheers all,

Andy :mental:

Bex, I think we need to start a 'Hospital' fund for Andy ......... This is more serious than loose screws !!

'V'

Its certainly looking that way V, anyone got a spare bucket we can use as mines full of water from all this rain :rofl:

Bex

Excellent Bombcorde General Melchet! Love the Grand Slams. I reckon you have probably given kit collectors a heart attack by using an original 60's Airfix prototype mate! Can we expect a Bombkordski in the future?

Paul Harrison

Thanks fellas ( and Mish !!!), kind words, Paul I got the kit off Evil Bay :devil: a few weeks back , cost me all of a tenner including P and P :yikes: !!!! I've actually got 2 more both mint but this one was a bit less than and yes I am also a collector of weird and wonderful old stuff ( including 5 old FROG V-Bombers, amongst many others :hobbyhorse:) I only build less than perfects, at the end of the day they were made to be built!!!!.

James I can't access your link , just says error ( or am I being thick :hypnotised: ).Any other way?...............

Keef any pics old thing ??

Thanks again folks,

Andy

James I can't access your link , just says error ( or am I being thick :hypnotised: ).Any other way?...............

Thanks again folks,

Andy

Here ya go Andy, just for you James Linky

Bex

Thanks Bexy, I WAS right, I am thick :P ...

Great stuff James, quite a popular subject aint it !!! Love your camo job might have to give that a go :analintruder: . Who's the nut doing the 1/72nd job ,Blimey even I wouldn't try that :hypnotised: :hypnotised: Thanks for sharing .....

Bex I am just about to post a few pics of the Sperrin cockpit ( just finished it a couple of mins ago!!)

Andy

Edited by general melchett

How absolutely Spiffing!...very neatly executed bit of whatiffery, very much in the true spirit of a "What if?" as well...:thumbsup2:

Melchet, i think it is time for you to put your underpants on your head,insert 2 pencils up your nose and shout wibble,because that is totally bonkers :mental: But it is also very :speak_cool: I love it. :goodjob: