Well and truly blown the budget with this one!

desmojen

13-07-2008

Jen, can I be so bold as to ask how much this kit cost? I can't find it on the A2ZEE website.

Liam

S'okay...looked it up on Hannants site....any advise on handling a resin kit like this? I mean you hear stories of it warping over time and things like drooping wings...

I have a resin Battlestar Galactica Viper ( the new "old" Viper) and am hesitiant to build it as I have never dealt with an all-resin kit before and ....well, it cost a bity and I want to do a good job...

Liam

Edited by yeehah1

I'd love to be a fountain of wisdom for you Liam, but as this is my first resin kit I can't :shrug:

I can only guess (and hope) that if the finished model is kept away from extremes of temperature and direct sunlight it will be ok. I really don't know.

Jen.

As I recall it was originally slated to sell around the £125 mark, not sure if that is what was eventual turn out retail price. If it was, given the inherent quality of CMR kits I would say it is well worth it.

That said one can get the 1/32 MDC Arado 234 jet bomber for £99. That is one good value kit and I have it in the to do pile and may well be my next project.

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=...ent&id=3027

http://www.hyperscale.com/2007/reviews/kit...2reviewbg_1.htm

I have built many resin kits over the last 20 years and never had a problem with warping or distortion - one just needs to observe some good engineering pratice and common sense, like replacing resin undercart parts with white metal and adding wing spars et-al. I always gel CA as it give a little manipulation time, as well as [eventually] a stronger joint and has better filling qualities.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

• 2 weeks later...

By 'eck that'snice Jen - typically I just finished doing the AIM Mayo Composite (the Kit from Hell) and now see this to go with it. I have to admit I too am a little worried about resin droop on a kit that big ( I have some smaller resin kits and they seem fine after about 2 years so far) but it has stopped me going for Magna's Argosy and something like this.

Can't wait to see what you do with this. :-)

By 'eck that'snice Jen - typically I just finished doing the AIM Mayo Composite (the Kit from Hell) and now see this to go with it. I have to admit I too am a little worried about resin droop on a kit that big ( I have some smaller resin kits and they seem fine after about 2 years so far) but it has stopped me going for Magna's Argosy and something like this.

Can't wait to see what you do with this. :-)

No worry with this one as CMR have supplied a spar in the kit and there are slots pre-cut in the fuselage to allow this to be located. The wings are hollow and have locating points for the spar.

Ken

has stopped me going for Magna's Argosy and something like this.

I built Magna's Beverley on release , that is one serious lump of resin, that is still fine - I would really have no qualms about purchasing large resin kits. The MDC 1/32 Arado has brass tube cast into the wing so these kits are becoming more sophisticated.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk