Final Bomber Command trio (and all 9 together)

Here is my last trio of RAF WW2 bombers (until I can get a Manchester and a Battle)

Firstly the Airfix Stirling. I got a cheap one from Ebay that had been started - big mistake. Wasn't too bad in the end. Finished with Xtradecals.

Airfixstirling.jpg

Next the Matchbox Wellesley. Nice little kit. Even the 30 year old decals were fine.

MATCHBOXWELLESLEY.jpg

Finally the Airfix Lancaster. Nice kit all-round with excellent fit. Again with Xtradecals as the "Phantom of the Ruhr"

airfixlancaster.jpg

I've photographed all 9 bombers together. Interesting size comparison, but not much colour variety!

Lancaster, Stirling, Halifax III, Wellington, Halifax I, Whitley, Hampden, Blenheim, Wellesley.

9bombers.jpg

• Like 1

That's a fine line-up there, Derek. It reminds me of a similar photo of Tony Wooton's collection during the war - except his, of course, were all solid balsa (and I hope mention of the name isn't met with blank expressions - older members might remember him). I hope you don't stop there, either. There are Mossies, Hudsons, Venturas, Mitchells, Bostons . . . even Liberators and Fortresses you could add yet. But you might have to move into a hangar! All good fun, isn't it?

Well done mate, it's nice to see.

Tim.

That last shot takes me back to maybe why I got hooked on this hobby - seeing line ups like that at the annual model show Wokingham Town Hall and being fascinated with the variety of colours and shapes (not to mention the excellent workmanship).

That's fantastic work there Derek, love the Wellesley!

Thanks for the comments folks. I quite like "theme" builds, but yes I would like to do a Mosquito (Tamiya probably) Manchester (if I can get a Paragon conversion). I like my models fairly clean due to lack of confidence in weathering techniques (and competence as well I suspect).

Next - US bombers - an Academy B-17 and an Airfix B-29 if I can get over my natural metal phobia (is this a medical condition I wonder?) or maybe an Airfix HP O/400 (with associated riggingophobia) or an Italeri B-66 or...................

Nice job indeed Derek.

I like your Lanc and as can be seen,the old Stirling still makes an impressive beast.

Have you still got the tractor and bomb trollies from the Sterling kit or were they bits that the previous owner had whipped out for some other build?

Mark

Edited by Miggers

The Planet models Manchester is way out of my price league (the Paragon conversion might be as well but I can't find one).

Mark, I still have the bomb tractor and trolley.

• 1 year later...

Very nicely done! As mentioned above you certainly need to add a Mosquito to the ranks. Then you've got the early "shark tail" Fortress Is, Later Fortresses, Liberators and no B-29s, brother, that would be Washington Mk.I, IIRC. :blink:

Edited by Don McIntyre

Another great thread-revival. Mind you it's worth it - I don't think I saw this the first time round: this collection is just terrific.

if you want one i have both a B-29 and a stirling (both airfix) in the loft non have beeb started and are sealed in bags (no boxes) i have the decals and instructions in a file, i will prob never build them, pm me if your interested

Another great thread-revival. Mind you it's worth it - I don't think I saw this the first time round: this collection is just terrific.

I know. I especially like the 9 of them together on that interesting tarmac base. I dont believe Ive seen one quite like that before....

I resurrected this while scroungin' about for Wellesley information. 'Glad I didnt turn anyone off by it.

Edited by dahut