Some Fleet Air Arm stuff - all 1/72

Wow! At first I thought "How did I miss this thread?" and then I see it was from 2008! Regardless, thanks for resurrecting the thread, it was great to see it. Tim, your choice of subjects is superb (not that my handle would clue you in) and your execution is fantastic! At first I was thinking "Well, OK, nice reference photos, but where are the models?" I still have to try real hard to tell they're models!

Great job, you rock!

Cheers,

Bill

Goodness, this is a blast from the past! I see that I promised some 1950s jet types, but never seemed to find the time to actually deliver the goods. Well, rest assured that I'm actually working on a batch at present and hope it won't be too much longer before I have a few completed models to present in much the same fashion as here. On the bench at the moment are a pair of Airfix Sabre F4s, an MPM Meteor F8, a couple of Matchbox Meteors NF13 and 14, a Revell Hunter F4...just to mention a few. I'll be painting some new backdrops, too, before I start seeing what I can do with the digital camera. It's becoming harder to find film for the old 35mm SLR!

Thanks, Duncan, for resurrecting this old thread...though I must point out that there's no photoshop involved here. I'm not clever enough for that!

All the best to everyone,

Tim.

Painted backdrops and 35mm film, I'm even more impressed. I look forward to see the latest early jet batch.

• 1 month later...
The missing ones...

SeafireIIINo12.jpg

SeafireXVPacificFleetNo4.jpg

SeafireXVPacificFleetNo7.jpg

SeafireXVNo6alternativecrop.jpg

SeafireXVNo1.jpg

SeafireXVXVIINo1-1.jpg

SeafireXVIINo3.jpg

Fantastic work Tim. They reming me of Charles E. Brown photos. I've seen some of your Spit ones before and was blown away. Particularly like FAA aircraft. Can I ask where you get your pilot figures from? They're clearly not the latest weird ones from Airfix. I like the way they are looking at the cameraship!

• Like 1

Thank you, gents.

As far as pilots and other figures are concerned...well, each one of them is individually customised from a variety of long-hoarded 'body parts' and with a fair bit of sculpting and scratch-building. It's tedious work that can take almost as long as building the models that they'll eventually inhabit. However, an exciting new proposal has just been presented to me, which will enable me to mass produce figures, not only for my own use, but also to make them available to other modellers.

My lady-friend (actually, now my fiancee!) has a brother who owns a professional model-making business, primarily engaged in architectural and prototype modelling, but also providing the means for another sister to produce model railway accessories. Marvellous new technology has come up with a three-dimensional photocopier (some of you may have seen demonstrations of these machines on the internet) and...he has one! All I need to do is supply any number of my customised figures and they can be copied again and again, ad infinitum. The truly wondrous thing about all this is that they can also be reproduced in full colour, thereby negating the need for painting!

Of course, I can see other possibilities with this technology also, and would not be surprised to see it eventually becoming a serious competitor in the aftermarket accessory field, which is currently dominated by resin casting. Early days yet, but I'm very excited by what is to come.

A few of the many...

DSC00152.jpg

DSC00160.jpg

DSC00147.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00113.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00021.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

DSC00281.jpg

DSC00282.jpg

DSC00280.jpg

DSC00262.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

DSC00255.jpg

DSC00256.jpg

DSC00296.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

DSC00278.jpg

So...watch this space!

Thanks Keef! Apparently there's life in the old dog yet...at 54 years of age!

And yes, when the first batch of figures comes out and costs are worked out, Britmodellers will be amongst the first to know about them. I think this might be a good place to get ideas about marketing.

All the very best,

Tim.

Great idea. I am one of that strange rare breed of modeller who likes to build some kits in flight mode so to be able to put pilot figures in them that actually look human will be great. Most modern releases don't have crew figures at all so my stash of recycled chaps is getting a bit thin. I hope you'll consider 1950-60s fellas too.

All the best.

Yes,congratulations Tim.

I've seen most of these blighters before,they're still damned impressive.

The news about some of them possibly going into production to serve in "Air Forces"around the world

is fantastic news.

I'll certainly give some of them a home if it comes off.

All the best mate,Mark

I was blown away by those FAA photos from way back originally & just like some-one else said, they do resemble Charles Brown photos, hope you can continue to find your print film!

I am very much bowled over by the character that's ever present in your pilots, crew etc! Are they in 1/72 mostly? Those photos have so much appeal & would make a very popular collection on Flickr.

They will without a doubt go like hot cakes once you have some sort of production going, hope all goes well!

Martin

• 3 years later...