F-16's in the RAF (profiles).

Gekko_1

Hi guys, first-up here's some RAF F-16's I did a while back. Next will come some new ones to help Mish out with some ideas for her F-16 build(s).

111SqnRAF.jpg

FTFRAFRedFlag.jpg

RAF11Sqn.jpg

RAF89Sqn.jpg

Cheers

Richard.

Wonderful stuff, Richard, especially the Arctic scheme.

Thanks for showing us.

Ian

He's on a mission to bankrupt me!!!

Great profiles as always Richard!!

D

Very nice profiles. A few years ago I had a conversation with a retired RAF officer who had been part of a group studying possible alternatives to the Eurofighter back in the early 90's as it was under threat of cancellation at the time due to a German withdrawal. He told me that the F-16 was a serious contender due to it being a proven design and having commonality with most of NATO which would simplify logistics. Apparently the reason that Britain didn't pull out at the time was that the Conservative government knew that it would mean the end of BAE's military aircraft division,probably the civilian side too and potentially the loss of 50,000 jobs all over the UK.

Stephen

Edited by Stephen

That is very interesting Stephen, as my back story for modeling a F=16 in RAF service matches what you have heard.

In case you've not seen it its here Link

Thanks for that.

I hadn't seen that,someone's prescient then :D One of the stumbling blocks I could see to an RAF purchase would be air to air refuelling as the F-16's designed for the boom while the RAF tankers are probe/drogue but I'm sure we'd have found a way around it.

Stephen

I hadn't seen that,someone's prescient then :D One of the stumbling blocks I could see to an RAF purchase would be air to air refuelling as the F-16's designed for the boom while the RAF tankers are probe/drogue but I'm sure we'd have found a way around it.

Stephen

Been thinking about that one today Stephen. I can get away with not solving it on the model I'm doing as they are purely early evaluation airframes. But I would like to see if I can overcome it.

Been thinking about that one today Stephen. I can get away with not solving it on the model I'm doing as they are purely early evaluation airframes. But I would like to see if I can overcome it.

I've come up with a couple of options,the first would be a probe attached in a similar way to what the Israeli Air Force did with the F-4E

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/2002nat...E_Israel-02.jpg

The probe would posibly retract into a fairing on the fuselage just aft of the cockpit.

The aother option was one I'd read about in AFM years ago where the probe would extend from the front of a droptank under the wing.The Israeli Air Force was said to be testing it about ten years ago on their F-16's.

Stephen

Edited by Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

I've got to admit Mish, trying to make a grey F-16 'interesting' was quite a challenge! :undecided:

This is my first attempt. I've yet to do a Ripple and a few other grey versions. If anybody's got any ideas on how I could make a basically grey RAF F-16 interesting, I'm open to suggestions! :whistle:

11Sqn.jpg

:cheers:

Richard.

Thanks Richard, I like the look of her.

I really wasn't expecting anything quite so fancy and not whilst you have other things on your plate.

The first bird is will on the way to being a pure grey bird. I can see I'm going to have to pick up F-16 kits everytime I see one. I have so many ideas popping around in my head and you have just added another.

Thanks once again.

• 8 months later...
Sweet profiles Rich I've been looking for a scheme for a kiwi F-16A and I think I've found it, would it be ok for me to use it in the future??

Sure thing Kiwi Steve, go for it!

Richard.