French Mig-21

damian

Hi All

I'm going to try and build two Migs inspired by Gekko1's (Richard) profile one French and the other SAAF for all those (Overkiller) who demand it ;D for the What-If board's "Profile Tribute GB"

The French Mig:

France2.jpg

The SAAF Mig:

SouthAfrica-1.jpg

So for the first time in ages here are some in progress pics!!

1. The obligatory box shot

Picture001.jpg

2. Glued the fronts to back BEFORE putting them together, thanks for the tips guys!!

Picture002.jpg

3. Busying up the cockpit, here I've taken inspiration from Blackops while carrying this out...man am I rusty!

Picture003.jpg

4. All that I got done between jobs today, I want to add more to the pit before I slap on paint. I'm still toying with the idea of an in-flight model

Picture004.jpg

5. The decal and weapons donor :)

Picture005.jpg

So there you go guys. Any thoughts and opinions welcome!!

D

Edited by damian

Hi all!!

Was a little tired after my 4.4 hour round flight to Mossel Bay and back so all I've done is complete my cockpit greeblies, prep the pilot (by cutting the poor man's legs off!) and mocking everything up for comments! I'm going in-flight with this kit as I like the gearless look.

1. Starboard side showing off the gasbag ans AS.30L laser guided missile

Picture006.jpg

2. Head on shot showing of all the kit including the ECM thingamajig Mk.3 (or if its French does it make it the majigthinga Mk.3??)

Picture007.jpg

3. Mr. Pilotman in his office filled with greeblies because I'm not bothered with accuracy just "coolness"

Picture009.jpg

4. The following is for B777LR's request to mock up the kit with MirIII wings to show a delta Mig

Picture011.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Thats all for now ;) As always thoughts, critisism and abuse welcomed!

:cheers:

D

I got more done today but the camera's battery is re-charging so I'll post pics later on..

D

Hi all!!

Here's the promised pics :)

1. Mr. Pilotman i his office chair, with his stick (control) in hand. I'm keeping him faily plain and simple.

Picture161.jpg

2. In his office. I've got it all painted up and dirty. I really didn't spend too much time here as you won't really see anything once its buttoned up. Most of what I did was more for practicing my atrophied skills than making a "busy" cockpit.

Picture165.jpg

3. Overheadinsh shot...

Picture166.jpg

4. Front 3/4 beauty shot...glam baby, glam

Picture167.jpg

5. 'Pit without the pilot and chair in, the detail is obviously fictional :)

Picture169.jpg

6. A little bit more of the instruments...

Picture170.jpg

7. Assembled empenage and tail, AS.30L and gasbags. As you can see I'm modding the one gasbag to carry an in-flight refueling reseptical. Saw this on a 50's USAF fighter and liked the idea as a way of increasing the MIG's short little legs :)

Picture162.jpg

8. Overview of all the parts

Picture163.jpg

So there you go! Any hints, tips, suggestions or mild spankings welcome

D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All!!

I got the last of the clean up and PSR done tonite so tomorrow's the big day! Yes its paint day! Now I haven't airbrushed a kit for the better part of the last 9 to 10 months so tomorrow will definitley be interesting to say the least...

Oh well just go to remember that I'm in this to have FUN!!! So here we go with the last of the nude pics!

1. MiG-21AL and the stores load L to R: AS.30L, gasbag with flight refuelling probe, chaff pod, standard gasbag, ECM pod (Barracuda?)

Picture171.jpg

2. Last over view shot :)

Picture174.jpg

Well kepp everything crossed for tomorrow!!

D

ps. comments and crits always welcomed!

Hi All!

Spent a loooong day painting as I'm only working tonite :)

1. Sprayed the cockpit black...

Picture176.jpg

2. The green bits green...

Picture178.jpg

3. Steel bits steel...which i've had to hand re-paint as the MM metaliser lifted like a ho...

Picture180.jpg

4. Got the grey underside down with lightened weathered spots

Picture182.jpg

5. And the free handed the top two colours, please note Richard's profile is my inspiration and not a strict painting guide because

1. I paint in the lounge with the PC in the bedroom; and

2. uuumm I'll get back to you

Picture184.jpg

Picture185.jpg

Picture188.jpg

Picture189.jpg

Tomorrow is clear coating day and then Saturday is decaling day :)

As always comments and crits welcome but please go easy on my paintjob as this is the first airbrushing in ages :)

D

Hi All!!

Got my decalling done yesterday and moved on to complete the weathering of the airframe today. So between studying Nav Plotting and working on the kit I give you the following pics!

1. Decls done!! Phew only botch two on this one so its a damn record for me!! The chosen sqn markings are for E.C. 03-03 "Ardennes" in 1987

Picture190.jpg

2. Close up of the boar's head tail art.

Picture191.jpg

3. Another over view shot...

Picture193.jpg

4. Top side weathering done...

Picture194.jpg

Picture196.jpg

5. Close up of the weathering done...

Picture197.jpg

6. Bottom doen too :)

Picture198.jpg

Picture199.jpg

7. And a close up :)

Picture200.jpg

Next will be the flat coat to seal it all in and weathering the stores. After that its trying to mount the sucker on a pole for display! :)

As always crits and comments most welcomed!

D

ps. IF you build this as a real world A/c do yourself a favour and get aftermarket decals as the Academy ones are CRAP I think you'd have to use white glue to get them to stay on the bloody thing. Thankgaod all I used were some minor stencils. As for the Heller decals, they we commendably thin but quite a few were out of register.

Hi All!!

She's done. The only thing left is to put her on a base which will have to wait for the weekend as payday is on Friday :)

Picture203.jpg

Picture207.jpg

Picture210.jpg

Picture212.jpg

The last one is in becasue I took all the other pics and then realised that the blade antenna behind the 'pit wasn't painted :P Now she is though!

As always crits and comments most welcome!

D