* Me.109D, III/NJG1: FINISHED

PetrOs

Hello,

As my third build I am starting the Bf.109 D from academy. While virtually all Bf.109's in the frontline service during the BoB were the E models, around 20 of those were still on the list of the fresh renamed III/NJG1 (before 22.6.40 IV(N)/JG2, before 1.7.40 II/NJG1). It was stationed on the north coast of germany and holland, and was to do day and night interception of the british bombers coming for the northern germany. Most of its aircraft carried the JG2 markings, as the rearmament to Bf.110C was pending mid august, so I dont think someone really cared for repaint.

Academy's kit is the old Hobbycraft one, and looks quite fine. Comparing it with the hasegawa's Bf.109E, it has the same level of detail. The detail are more subtle however, but its not bad. ;) Cockpit detail is also fine. The canopy is only available as closed, and even if it is very clear and fine molded, I will most likely replace it with the Hasegawa's E-3 one. (And build a E-4 from the Hasegawa's kit)

I will do it as an N+4, which was on strength of 11(N)/ JG2 in may 40 and most likely made it into the NJG1. http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/139/2/1/9 The decals will be a mix of spare box ones, a JG2 logo from Hasegawa's E, and self printed lettering.

It will be an OOB build except for the canopy.

So, while the Ju-88's fuselage was drying, I started the first of 3 Bf.109's for my comparative build. As planned, except for the markings and the 3-part canopy from Hasegaw I will be doing it quite OOB. General impression of the Academy (=Hobbycraft) tooling - good quality to price ratio, and perfect for a 10 euro kit.

Cockpit has some quite good sidewall details, IMHO better then Hasegawa. Pedals are quite crude, and can be refined a bit. Not that they are much visible though.... Seat has the molded on seatbelts which are quite soft in detail. With a bit painting they look ok... The first problem was a not-so-good fit of the cockpit. Behind the seat there was a gap, and yet another one between the fuselage halves and the top of the instrument board.. Nothing that cant be filled but a bit unpleasant. The fuselage closed well, except for a small gap behind the seat.. Wing went on perfectly - no gap at the top and no gap at the bottom - just a minor seam of melted plastic to be sanded. (I drove a small bit of liquid putty over the bottom seams and sanded, no job at all at the top - looks fine before painting). Exhausts went in also reasonably well, no work required.

since the photo session yesterday evening I went on working today, and now its ready for masking and painting.. Cowling went on with a minimum of liquid putty, tail and flaps without putty. The tail struts had to be shortened by 1 mm each. Lower radiator front got a minimal gap on the sides - also closed by mr surfacer 500.

So, the paint scheme I am using (confirmed by some private photo copies sent me by LEMB member, cant publish them here)

N4.jpg

And the status:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Cool, I was thinking of doing a D as it is in the stash but wasn't sure if they fought in the BoB. I'll be watching this one closely. fascinating stuff!

Cheers,

Tim

So, I spent the Sunday to finish the main assembly and do the basic painting. Undercarriage is still not there and the canopy needs the paint job too. It has a basic RLM 02/71 over the 65 scheme. the numbers were stencilled and airbrushed, but the color ran under it ;( I retouched it manually as well as it was possible, but not ideal. The aircraft was much weathered however, so I will hide the defects in chipping, strains, etc...

Here it is:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by PetrOs

So, I have moved on today. Working in home office in front of a PC means i have to do 30 mins "screen break" every 2 hours of work, and I used these for building ;)

The aircraft is now completely painted and decaled, and is prepared for the weathering, the gloss varnish is drying for it now ;) All of the decals are from the Tamiya Bf.109E-4/7 trop kit, and were of an excellent quality, thin and setting very well. A small thing which is still missing is the antenna, but it will be added only after the final matte varnish layer (as when antenna is installed i'll have a problem with my selfmade cockpit mask).

The photos are taken indoors, and the flash (on all but second and third images) distorted the cockpit framing color! I used an acrylic mix to paint it and without flash the color is an exact match for the RLM 71! With a flash it looks like a grass green! Strange!

I will not be putting a Swastika on it, as else it would be disqualified for the German modeling exhibitions.. And as I live in Germany it would be no good thing!

Anyways, here are the photos:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Wow that was quick. Now i'm gagging to build my D :hypnotised: looks great!

If you wish to build a BoB D - ask me, I have a number of photos and profiles for the III/NJG1 (only BoB user) D's but I cant publish those...

So, the aircraft is virtually done ;)

That means, it is done as I originally wanted. However, I dont like the non-weighted wheels, and these are too fine detailed for "weight it myself" operations - so I just ordered 3 sets of the True Details weighted ones, to put on this one and on other two Me.109. Will arrive only in 10-15 days according to the dealer.

Since yesterday I did the following - washing, drybrushing, chipping and pigments, as well as adding the antenna. I hope you'd like it!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

PertO: Your early 109 looks very nice indeed..!!

Cheers,

ggc

Great job on that one. Funny you should say about the wheels. Look what I bought last time i visited Hannants (last week)

Picture515.jpg

Yes, 3 sets of True details BF109 wheels. (granted not for the same versions but still... :lol: ) coincidence.

By the way, sorry if you received my PM twice. I clicked the back button in my browser in error.

Cheers

Tim

• 3 months later...