F-16 in the RAF

AnonymousDFB1

I've been thinking and pondering about an Air To Air (A2A) refueling solution for the F-!6 whilst with the RAF. After thinking of several solutions I remembered two things one was that the french use probe and drogue like the RAF and the speed at which Marshalls of Cambridge modified aircraft for refueling during the Falklands conflict. In the stash I have a 1:48 Mirage 2000 so 'borrowing' the refueling probe and a length of spure. I set to with some small files and a cigarette lighter whilst watching the TV with one eye and after 15 minutes or so I had scratch built this:

I think it will do the job.

Nice work Mish! Can you give me some idea as to where exactly on the F-16 the probe will go, so I can include it in the profiles?

Also, can you describe what decals Bex is sending you so I can take that into account too?

Cheers

Richard.

Also, can you describe what decals Bex is sending you so I can take that into account too?

Cheers

Richard.

Richard,

Theyre 56 & 92 Sqn Roundels from the Revell FGR2 kit

Bex

Nice work Mish! Can you give me some idea as to where exactly on the F-16 the probe will go, so I can include it in the profiles?

Cheers

Richard.

The probe will be going on the starboard side of the fuselage/nose so that the tip is level with the pilot.

Hi Richard.

As you know I want to do a 9 Sqdn RAF Tiffie What-If.

And I was wondering if you could do me some profiles as inspiration mate please.

Cheers Daz

Sure can Daz, it would be my pleasure.

You will have to give me a week or two to fit it in however, pretty busy around here at the moment, what with the African Lightning story and profiles and the RAF F-16 profiles, but I'm definitely be willing to help out.

Do you want low-vis greys or is anything possible?

Cheers

Richard.

The probe will be going on the starboard side of the fuselage/nose so that the tip is level with the pilot.

Hmmm. OK, so do you think that any of the probe would be visible on a port side profile? ( I just want to be sure I get everything right).

Cheers

Richard.

A little more done this evening. The kit even though it's a Tamiya is very basic. Well it would be being a very early Tamiya.

Anyway this is my attempt to 'tart' up a plain cockpit:

y6t74a.jpg

y6t749.jpg

I will add some tape belts to the sat as well.

I need to get the cockpit in next and load up the fuselage forward of the nose wheel with as much nose weight as I can get in.

y6t74b.jpg

This what if has been done before, not with my back story as far as I know. I've been planning this one for about a year now. It's also my first what if in 35 years.

I'm just poking you with a stick a little, I hope I'm allowed to do that.

I dig the cockpit work Mish, I can wait to see the refueling probe on the kit :)

I may have to nick that idea when it comes time to do my own low-viz RAF F-16C (Academy kit and time scale for me getting to build this is the far far future)

D

Edited by damian