31 Sqn RAF RF-4C Phantom

bexwh773

I like that jazzy recon pod, too! I also think your Spey engined RF-4 is an interesting idea. I know you're not finished, however I just wanted to remind you to not forget the RHAW bumps on either side of the nose.

Hmmm, maybe I could've phrased that better, "RHAW bumps" sounds sort of icky. wicked.gif

Are they the 2 sticky out bits, one either side of the nose between the side camera port windows and the nose cone?

Sidewinders now done on a home made lolly stick pair of rails :lol:

Thanks for looking

Bex

yu1wh2.jpg

yu10av.jpg

Are they the 2 sticky out bits, one either side of the nose between the side camera port windows and the nose cone?

Yes, that would be them.

Am I the only one who thinks "RHAW bumps" sounds as though someone has a problem with chafing?

The Sidewinders look good, USAF RF-4s were set up for AIM-9s just in time for Operation Desert Storm, not long before they were retired from service.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone, now Dads Vulcan is finished I can concentrate on this :yahoo::yahoo:

Bex

:worthy: she be a goodun Bexy, you will need a big shelf for this one!!!.

JB.

Come on the Vulcans finished, get on with her :whip::tease:

Thanks both :thumbsup2: Phantom back on the table tonight :yahoo:

Bex

• 2 weeks later...

Just Phinished the bang seats, and for a first attempt with resin & PE I dont think Ive done too bad, ish. Ok, yes I know I got the harnesses wrong on the left hand seat, but I got it correct on the seond attempt or the right hand seat :lol:

Bexy's school report impression "Room for improvement, can do better" :rofl:

Thanks for looking

Bex

yu7vfv.jpg

Thanks Mish :thumbsup2:

Another small update then, seats finished & fitted into the office, and after some research she now has the serial of XT988. I had hoped to use a legit Phantom XT serial, but with the numbers I had available, 988 was the only option for me, so the underside decalling is now complete and varnished, just the starboard upper wing & fuselage to finish now. If anyone has any 1974, 31 Squadron markings lying around, I have other Phantom decals in 48th that Im willing to swap, as Im getting desperate now :crying::crying::crying:

Thanks for looking

Bex

P.S: Decal problem now solved by GARY C :worthy::worthy::worthy:

yu8vvd.jpg

yu8vve.jpg

yu8vv4.jpg

yu8vvg.jpg

Edited by bexwh773

Really looks.................real!

Are you sure the RAF never flew 'em ;)

Thanks both, now thats a reaction I really wasnt expecting, youve really made my day with that F-32 :yahoo::wub:

Bex

P.S: I wish the RAF did fly the RF-4

That looks great Bex, :clap2: nearly there.....wish we had these things after TSR 2 was axed. Looks just right in that scheme , could just see them lined up at Coltishall or Wyton ................ :D

Andy

Thanks Andy, you and me both, I think the Phantoms looked so right in the Green & Grey :lol: Thats why Ive got so many of them :whistle:

Bex

Edited by bexwh773

If anyone has any 1974, 31 Squadron markings lying around, I have other Phantom decals in 48th that Im willing to swap, as Im getting desperate now :crying::crying::crying:

Will nose and tail markings for XT905, Bruggen 1974, off the Airdoc sheet do? Drop me a PM...

Will nose and tail markings for XT905, Bruggen 1974, off the Airdoc sheet do? Drop me a PM...

PM Inbound

Bex

Looking really good!

Wasn't putting all those stencil decals in place really FUN?

Decals is the least fun part for me.

It's been too hot here to do much modeling (100 F the last couple of days), but were supposed to see low 80s for a few days in about 2 or 3 days (weird for Kansas at this time of year), so maybe I can dig back into the projects I have going.

Julien, Silverkite,

Thank you for the kind comments both :thumbsup2:

Oh yes, those stencils where hilarious, still got the starboard side to do yet :suicide: But, in hindsight, I wish Id done them all on my last Phantom too, because she looks so much better :doh:

Bex

Final update before finish photos Gang, starboard wing & fuselage now decalled, underside of fuselage given a coat of Promodeller Dark Wash (Aka Sir Phil of Flory's Mucky Stuff). All thats left is touch up job on tyres, Squadron Markings to be applied to nose & tail and once these arrive in the post, the rescue & cockpit decals can be applied and varnished over, with a final dose of Sir Phils Mucky Stuff. So there we go, the back story is stashed away in Bexys Braincell and will be added to the final photos, and thats about it for tonight Gang :yahoo::yahoo:

Thanks for looking

Bex

Thanks Mish :thumbsup2:

I thought Id share a couple more photos of lastnights efforts, before I crack on and attack the canopy. Underside weathered & varnished with stores now fitted, upper wings & rear half of fuselage weathered and varnished too.

Thanks for looking

Bex

yuas4a.jpg

yuas4b.jpg

yuas49.jpg