31 Sqn RAF RF-4C Phantom

bexwh773

Ello Gang, well just before Jennings cranked out his RAF RF-4 Hatchet & I were discussing it and had I not been missing the RF nose, my last Phantom would have been this one, but now Ive got all the bits, its party time. We have an Italieri box, ith Testors airframe & various Revell FGR2 parts with the addition of an Airies RF-4B Cockpit supplied by the wonderful Graham @ Relish and the 31 Sqn Decals are enroute in the post from our very own GaryC :yahoo:

Heres the pre assembly gratuitous box & parts photos with a Squadron badge I found on the web.

y6pyeh.jpg

y6pye4.jpg

y6pyee.jpg

y6pyeg.jpg

Lets just say that pig of a Vulcan Ive nearly finished is a walk in the park compared with this pile of junk soon to be gorgeous sexy wonderful dream boat Phantom :wub::yahoo: The back story is still being worked on and will be published with the completed model.

Thanks for looking.

Bex

Edited by bexwh773

Ooooh! This I've got to watch :popcorn:

I've got an idea in my head for a whiffy recon RAF F-4 but I'll wait and see what you come up with first! :whistle:

Rich

Ooooh! This I've got to watch :popcorn:

Rich, Ive been planning this for a long time, you know Im a Recce Phreak and Ive already built WH773 :yahoo: I hope you like my plan as it evolves.

Daz, Mish, yup, Im at it again and this is a real box of bits and Im gonna enjoy this one :yahoo:

Bex

All I can say is..AWESOME!!!

Thanks Damian.

A small text update, Ive spent half the night sanding down the Airies Cockpit & modify the original cockpit to remove the nose gear bay from it completely, this isnt gonna be a speed build thats for sure :analintruder:

Bex

Ive never touched an Airies cockpit before in my life so please excuse this first attempt. Ive got some touching up to do where Ive slipped with the black, got the throttle & joystick painted & rear IP so far. Wings have gone together like a dream, Ive never had that before with any kit and this ones really pants so was a huge surprise.

Thanks for looking

Bex

y6okiw.jpg

y6okiz.jpg

y6okxy.jpg

Periklis & Mish,

Thanks both, even though shes a pig Im enjoying it :yahoo: Wont be doing the resin cockpit lark again though, never done so much sanding in my life :yikes:

Bex

Edited by bexwh773

Thanks Martin, going alot better now that I first thought :yahoo:

Well just the one photo for now, this afternoons painting session, just got to finish pilots IP then I can start on the seats :analintruder:

Thanks for looking

Bex

y6ouaf.jpg

Daz, er no I didnt, but I was doing it outside and the wind was blowing it away.

Bex

Tonights effort then, cockpit is finished and is now waiting for the glue to dry, just got the bang seats to do and the whole Airies Office is done :yahoo: So heres a couple of photos for your perusal, so as a first ever resin cockpit, please be gentle......... Pretty Please :lol:

Thanks for looking

Bex

y6q5ny.jpg

y6q5n1.jpg

Also, I couldnt find any photos of an RF-4 Cockpit, so I used every Phantom Cockpit photo I could find, the pic on the box and a bit of Bexy's imagination.

Any pitfalls?

Pun intended? Anyways, only thing I hated was the amount of sanding of both cockpit and fuselage but other than that, if you can crank em out like Neil then youre laughing :worthy:

Bex

A small update on this mornings efforts then. Cockpit is now fitted into the airframe and Ive had to fit a piece of lolly stick into one hole and a clear piece of plastic sheet to fill another........ finee sense of humour :rofl: Ive also noticed that when I fit the wings Im also going to have to fill large gaps between the lower fuselage & wing roots aswell plus the engines will take some serious work to fit :shithappens: But, am I enjoying this build? All things considered yes I am and Ive learnt a lot so far.

Bex

Edited by bexwh773