This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Seamus

Humbrol Mattcote

The varnish stuff in the tinlets is bloomin horrible though!

Best

Rich

What, the golden treacle you mean??!!! :D

Keef

It's handy for tinting windows, though! :winkgrin:

peebeep

Really? I thought it would be quite good for making replacement canopies, just file and sand into the right shape and polish up. The only time I tried to use it, the little bugger refused to let me have my stirring stick back!

Best

Rich

Really? I thought it would be quite good for making replacement canopies, just file and sand into the right shape and polish up. The only time I tried to use it, the little bugger refused to let me have my stirring stick back!

Best

Rich

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If you can get it out of the pot you may be able to pass it off as amber.

peebeep

Get it out! I want to know how they got it in there, through such a small opening, in the first place! I know how to get it out though, you just use a grinder to remove the tin from around the varnish.

Of course different people have different experiences with it, I seem to recall someone on Hyperscale swearing by the stuff, my experience has been more swearing at it.....

Best

Rich

I find it work perfick for me! I just give the bottle a b****y good shake before use, use a good sized brush (you dont need a massive brush for this stuff). I left it overnight upside down in the room i work and came back in the morning to find the two i have painted with it look excellent! (it did look a bit shiny the night before but once fully dry its fine, a little heat in the room helps it, its a nice warm room).

Just my opinion.

Edited by Markh-75

I tend to use it to help protect the decals! Some decals especially if applied to a matt surface will 'silver' around the edges of the decal; its because the matt surface allows air in under the decal; pretty much the same reason that a sucker will not stick to anything other than a smooth shiny surface! To help a decal adhere on matt, i now give the decals area a coat of satin or even gloss cote, this lets the decal adhere securely to the surface, no silvering and you can always coat over with Matt-cote after! With all the Humbrol 'cotes' and especially the matt one, they just need a right good shake before use, you can also leave the bottle upside-down overnight and then shake. If you dont shake it up, you are merely painting on the oil from it, the gunky stuff IS the matt cote. 

Hi Folks; i'm noticing that Mattcote can soften silver paint finishes, i use the Humbrol Mattcote after the decals have dried and set, but i was doing a model with a silver fuselage and used Humbrol Polished aluminium paint to paint it with. I always cover my decals but i'm wondering if there is better stuff than this, that wont make my silvers react this way? While i wont use acrylic paints, i might use acrylic varnish if i was assured it works correctly. What are the best ones; enamel and acrylic please? (I promise that this time i will show some appreciation and actually DO something with the info i'm given! 😳 lol)