Chaz Bowyer, R.I.P.

RZP

Hope this isn't a repeat message, but I was saddened to hear that noted aviation historian Chaz Bowyer passed away last week at the age of 81. Can hardly be an aviation enthusiast that hasn't read or used one of his books. The following message was apparently sent out by his daughter to the Key Publishing Aviation Forum (Flypast Magazine, etc.):

With regret I would like to report the death of my father, aviation historian Chaz Bowyer. He passed away peacefully yesterday (18th June) at the Norfolk and Norwich hospital aged 81, after a brief illness. His immediate family were all with him.

I am Chaz's daughter and would like to thank all the well-wishers for their e-mails of condolence which are a great comfort to the family at this time. Dad lived and breathed aircraft and the brave airmen that flew them from a very young age and his interest and passion for the subject never diminished. I know he would have been touched at some of the tributes we have been sent.

If anybody would like to contact me please use my e-mail address at - [email protected]

Please feel free to pass this information on to any forums you feel may be interested in Dads passing, I would like to let the wider Aviation community know.

Thanks - Lisa

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by RZP

Very sad. I have a fair few of his books and have read even more. He certainly made a significant contribution to my knowledge and understanding of the history of the RAF and its equipment.

John

Sad news indeed - as a lad - it was Chaz's books- mainly from the local library that introduced me to "proper" aviation books. I have several in my own library - and they are always a good, well written, source of info.

My sincere condolences to his family at this saddest of times.

With respect

Jonners

Very sad news. It was reading a number of Chaz's books as a child that cemented my love for all things aviation. The man maybe gone,but his work will live on for many years to come. My thoughts to his family and friends. Gary