* Heinkel He 59D-1 : FINISHED

Stebos

Been slowly getting through a very dry modelling spell so throwing in this one I think.

The He 59... recon/training/sea rescue.

It's *big* for a biplane, and I'm possibly over-reaching a tad as it's my first biplane and first with resin & PE.

I do like the way a group build will really encourage me to put in the extra effort needed for those trickier builds.

From my limited findings the earlier variant C's did their Channel patrols in a white Red Cross scheme, I've not been able to find if this was the case for the D-1's... so I'm staying with the kit suggestion of 1940 splinter camo (and I have no suitable decals for the Red Cross version).

Will be a few days before I can knuckle down with this one so just a box shot & the sprues for now.

He59%20box.jpg

And the sprues: The plastic is a little rough but nothing you'd see. First look suggests a fair bit of tricky clean up, especially on the more delicate resin pieces and the struts.

He59%20sprue1.jpg

-

He59%20sprue2.jpg

-

He59%20sprue3.jpg

-

He59%20sprue4.jpg

Edited by Stebos

Ooh, bring it on Stebos! I've been resisting this kit because it's a touch on the expensive side here, but I'll be very interested to see one built. Strangely, I don't think I've even seen a review of it anywhere, so perhaps your progress with it might encourage me to part with some cash after all. We shall see!

Cheers,

Tim.

• 2 weeks later...

With all the gloom over RIAT I got busy over the weekend and made progress over the 3 interior areas.

I had some shots of the plain resin before assembly but can't find them anywhere. I fear Duxford from yesterday is the cause of that.

After some very fiddly assembly they're together & painted up with some RLM 02.

He59%20pit1.jpg

I had to make a blu-tak jig to hold the seat backrest in place for the rear gunners seat. One of the throttle levels was missing on first unpacking the resin parts, the other broke off with some clumsy handling :who-let-rip:

They won't be much missed. More of a pain was the entire yoke arm snapping off as I trimmed it from the block, luckily it didn't go far and a slight dab of gator glue fixed it back up.

He59%20pit2.jpg

I'll post up the plain resin shots if I find them, otherwise the next plan is to start on the fuselage halfs, the C variant nose needs sawing off and some careful prep needs doing.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Stebos

The He 59... recon/training/sea rescue.

It's *big* for a biplane, and I'm possibly over-reaching a tad as it's my first biplane and first with resin & PE.

I do like the way a group build will really encourage me to put in the extra effort needed for those trickier builds.

From my limited findings the earlier variant C's did their Channel patrols in a white Red Cross scheme, I've not been able to find if this was the case for the D-1's... so I'm staying with the kit suggestion of 1940 splinter camo (and I have no suitable decals for the Red Cross version).

..was just browsing through the brand new Luftwaffe Seaplanes book from French publisher Lela Presse - you might want to check it out. Fantastic selection of photos. A 352 page A-4 hardback, covering six seaplane types including the He 59. Very detailed coverage. No D's in the white scheme.. A quick peek for you ... .more info at http://www.avions-bateaux.com

he59.JPG

Edited by FalkeEins

Some more references for those interested:

A couple of short archive films

and some photos http://www.luftarchiv.de/index.htm?/flugze...einkel/he59.htm

Due to the higher front nose of the D-1 it seems the front navigator position would have no means of seeing out. This could be a kit inaccuracy as the cockpit floor is set too low or it might explain the addition of windows in the photo above.

Some more progress.

The cockpit's installed in the nose, some minor filling & smoothing of the seam will be needed.

He59%20nose.jpg

The rear gunner compartment is a bit of a headache though.

Firstly the resin base proved too narrow and with no alignment aids I put together some simple shelfs to rest it on while the glue sets.

I've also added the extra ammo drums but other than the base & seat there's no detailing. You can't see much in there anyway.

He59%20int1.jpg

The two rear windows proved more tricky.

They're just plain vacforms with no guides to hold them in place. If cut oversize the way the window frame is cut meant they'd be a big stepdown externally. It would look horrible and wouldn't be a very strong fit.

The solution I used was to trim the windows so they sit flush with the external sides and fix them more firmly by cutting plastic strips to serve as an internal frame. When painted up it shouldn't be that visible.

Some minor filler work and the windows should be fine.

He59%20win1.jpg

Letting everything cure up overnight before I finish off the interior.

Wow, Stebos! You are a quick builder...! this Heinkel is looking very nice...your window fix is cool, I'll have to try that myself on a future project...

Cheers,

ggc

I suppose that's why the RAF shot them down regardless of how they were painted and marked... :mg::fuhrer:

Cheers,

ggc

Looking good.

I have picture of one of these painted White for use as an Ambulance that was used for mine dropping in the Thames Estuary.

...while He 59s did carry out a certain amount of mining around the coast, they didn't do it in the overall white scheme ..but then I guess you were kidding of course...

Edited by FalkeEins

Hi

Very nice job !!

At the time I preferred an easier way with the windows as I replaced them by plexiglass.

And for those who didn't see any He 59, here is mine (out of the scope of this GB) :

m_40823228_0.jpg

Patrick

Spanish Civil War that one wasn't it? Came out smashing!

Did you scratch build the beaching trolley or is there some aftermarket out there?

Some more progress tonight.

Finally got the interior done:

He59%20int2.jpg

Closed up the fuselage & strapped it heavily. There's a slight warpage to the sides so I'm leaving it a good while to avoid it splitting.

He59%20ext.jpg

I decided to add the nose section last as I felt it would be tricky to ensure the cockpit was properly set and level as well as deal with getting a neatly lined up fuselage join.

It worked well enough but the warp in the main body has left me a nasty stepped join to deal with.

He59%20nose2.jpg

With hindsight clamping the front end to pinch it narrower would likely have solved that.

Spanish Civil War that one wasn't it? Came out smashing!

Did you scratch build the beaching trolley or is there some aftermarket out there?

Hi

I scratch built the beaching trolley but I cannot make the fences above the wheels.

She is one aircraft of Legion Kondor in Spain.

Yours gave me the idea to buy another He 59...

By the way after the two side windows there is another one which is also an access door.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure on the access door window, so I played it safe and left it alone for now.

Progress is slow on this one, dryfitting, sanding down butt joints & horribly cast support struts have been taking their toll somewhat.

He59%203.jpg

He59%202.jpg

He59%201.jpg

Next up is filling and sanding up the seams before working on putting the engines together.