1/48 Hornet F1

Notdoneyet

Sorry to jump in like this, just wondering if you have any info on the Aircraft in the photos. The serial is PX315, I cannot access my reference material at the moment.

Regards

Phil

Phil,

Are you sure that it is PX315 and not PX313? I ask because there is no reference to PX315 in the complete(?) list of Hornet serials in the Warpaint book.

PX313 however was an early F.Mk3 (which could account for the short span tailplane and absence of fin fillet in your photos) which served with 19sqn and the Far East Training sqn.

HTH,

Ian

Edited by Notdoneyet

Lovely work Ian

I can't claim to be "world's leading authority" on the Hornet as you suggest, but its a pleasure to be of assistance.

Phil,

I'll check out the history of your crashed Hornet photos, and let you know.

Rory, I will scan some images showing which panel lines should/shouldn't be visible.

Regards

David Collins

de Havilland Hornet Project

www.dhhornet50.net

Ian,

My first thought was PX313, but when I looked more closely it appears to be PX315. I have enlarged the photos a little, perhaps you will see what I mean.

Regards

Phil

img038a.jpg

img039a.jpg

Phil,

Are you sure that it is PX315 and not PX313? I ask because there is no reference to PX315 in the complete(?) list of Hornet serials in the Warpaint book.

PX313 however was an early F.Mk3 (which could account for the short span tailplane and absence of fin fillet in your photos) which served with 19sqn and the Far East Training sqn.

HTH,

Ian

Blimey, you're cracking on with it aren't you? It's pretty amazing to see such a rate of progress and such a clean result.

What paints did you use for the insignia?

Nice stuff Ian, as always :thumbsup:

John, many thanks!! Progress is about to take a huge leap backwards (see below). The chevrons are Citadel Blood Red while the roundels are Tamiya flat red, white and blue.

Lovely work Ian

I can't claim to be "world's leading authority" on the Hornet as you suggest, but its a pleasure to be of assistance.

Phil,

I'll check out the history of your crashed Hornet photos, and let you know.

Rory, I will scan some images showing which panel lines should/shouldn't be visible.

Regards

David Collins

www.dhhornet50.net

You're too modest David - every request I put out resulted in "Contact David Collins he knows everything about the Hornet" responses - even the deHavilland Heritage Centre defer to your knowledge of their aircraft :worthy:

If you could post (or e-mail me if you are concerned over copyright) the panel line scans I'd appreciate it very much (see below).

Ian,

My first thought was PX313, but when I looked more closely it appears to be PX315. I have enlarged the photos a little, perhaps you will see what I mean.

Regards

Phil

Phil, yup it looks like PX315 to me too - not for the first time the Warpaint book comes up short :(

Well after an evening of contemplation fuelled by some "brain fuel" (beer!!) and a nights sleep I have decided to take decisive action to cure my "whoopsie" of yesterday. I made an error in aligning the stb wing chevron/roundel mask which has resulted in the wide part of the chevron being 2 mm too far forward :doh: . This may not sound much but the angular difference between port and stb markings is very noticeable.

EDIT: Here's a photo of the topside showing the misalignment :-

DSC01057.jpg

As I have two spare upper wing masks I've also decided to sand off both upper wing markings and fill the panel lines then refinish the upper wings, re-spray the silver and re-mask and spray the markings :wall:

Only a week left so I'll have to crack on with this if I'm to finish in time to meet te GB deadline and get it shipped to the U.K. in time for Telford.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Notdoneyet

Ian,

It will be interesting to see what David Collins comes up with regarding PX315. I should also have mentioned what a bloody good job you are doing with the Kit, nice to see work like that especially as I cannot do any plastic hacking myself at the moment, problems with my hands and arms which do not allow me to open/close my hands properly, soon be sorted though (Hopefully). At least I can still prod the keyboard!

Cheers

Phil

John, many thanks!! Progress is about to take a huge leap backwards (see below). The chevrons are Citadel Blood Red while the roundels are Tamiya flat red, white and blue.

You're too modest David - every request I put out resulted in "Contact David Collins he knows everything about the Hornet" responses - even the deHavilland Heritage Centre defer to your knowledge of their aircraft :worthy:

If you could post (or e-mail me if you are concerned over copyright) the panel line scans I'd appreciate it very much (see below).

Phil, yup it looks like PX315 to me too - not for the first time the Warpaint book comes up short :(

Well after an evening of contemplation fuelled by some "brain fuel" (beer!!) and a nights sleep I have decided to take decisive action to cure my "whoopsie" of yesterday. I made an error in aligning the stb wing chevron/roundel mask which has resulted in the wide part of the chevron being 2 mm too far forward :doh: . This may not sound much but the angular difference between port and stb markings is very noticeable. As I have two spare upper wing masks I've also decided to sand off both upper wing markings and fill the panel lines then refinish the upper wings, re-spray the silver and re-mask and spray the markings :wall:

Only a week left so I'll have to crack on with this if I'm to finish in time to meet te GB deadline and get it shipped to the U.K. in time for Telford.

Cheers,

Ian

Ian, we will be flexible on completions (as in 'somebody entered the wrong date'), so if the build runs over, that is not a problem. Obviously you will need to allow a bit for shipping.

Great looking build (I wouldn't have noticed any errors), but I have a weakness for this scheme in any case.

peebeep

Great looking build (I wouldn't have noticed any errors),

peebeep

:ditto: me neither! I had to look twice even after you fessed up to it, Ian!! That is seriously nice paintwork, so fingers crossed that your remedial work goes without a hitch! Good job you're using acrylics, Xtracolor would never dry in time.....!! :)

Looking forward to seeing her after the respray!

Good luck

Keef

Thanks guys!

Before the mayhem begins I thought that I'd spray the serials (just in case more mistaks were made ...). Here's everything masked up :-

DSC01058.jpg

And here's a couple with the masking removed :-

DSC01062.jpg

DSC01060.jpg

Next up wet 'n dry meets Mr Wing :crying:

Cheers,

Ian

Must have missed this build up until now, wow, what a great job, I certainly could not make out the mistake even after you pointed it out !

Not one of my usual favourites but for some reason I bought the kit, after seeing your build I'm glad that I did not attempt it !

Cheers

Den

Hello Phil

I can confirm this is an early production Hornet F.3 PX315 which crashed at Hatfield aerodrome on Setpember 7th 1946. Landing accident caused by a flap bracket failure. It had to land at 170kts and eventually overturned after hitting a drainage ditch. The pilot was fortunately ok, but had to cut his own way out of the wooden fuselage side!

Regards

David Collins

www.dhhornet50.net

David,

Thanks for that info, I might just have a couple of photos of the hole the pilot cut should you be interested in seeing them.

Cheers

Phil

Hello Phil

I can confirm this is an early production Hornet F.3 PX315 which crashed at Hatfield aerodrome on Setpember 7th 1946. Landing accident caused by a flap bracket failure. It had to land at 170kts and eventually overturned after hitting a drainage ditch. The pilot was fortunately ok, but had to cut his own way out of the wooden fuselage side!

Regards

David Collins

www.dhhornet50.net

Hi,

Further to David's info:

PX 315 Mk III overshot on landing at hatfield before delivery on 06/09/46. It was part of contract 3235/C23 which included a total of 85 MK III airframes from PX 289 to PX 398. Airframes concelled from this order were PX 399 to PX 425, PX 440 to PX 487 and PX 501 to PX 530.

Info from

Cooper, L.G., 1992, The Hornet File, An Air-Britain Publication, AB (Historians) LTD, Hollen Stree Press, Slough, 147 pp, ISBN 0 85130 202 5

Christian the Married

Thanks for all the feedback peeps!

Must have missed this build up until now, wow, what a great job, I certainly could not make out the mistake even after you pointed it out !

Not one of my usual favourites but for some reason I bought the kit, after seeing your build I'm glad that I did not attempt it !

Cheers

Den

Den, if you're not going to make it I'd be happy to give it a good home. This build has given me the taste to do another, and hopefully make a better job of it!!

I have to say Ian that I'm liking the effect of markings being painted. Who makes the masks?

Cheers!

John, the masks were custom made for me by Mal Mayfiield who is Mr Miracle Masks (Miracle Masks Website linky). Mal is also a member here (Holdfast). The masks are really superb, are great to use and result in markings that have that "sprayed on" look ........ oh wait, that's because they are!!! :D .

Cheers,

Ian

John, the masks were custom made for me by Mal Mayfiield who is Mr Miracle Masks (Miracle Masks Website linky). Mal is also a member here (Holdfast). The masks are really superb, are great to use and result in markings that have that "sprayed on" look ........ oh wait, that's because they are!!! :D .

Cheers,

Ian

Brilliant, thanks Ian - looks like I'll be placing an order for some soon... :).

Ian,

I have to be honest, if you hadnt told us where the mistakes were Id never have noticed, still stick to my guns, this is your best yet :worthy:

Bex

Hi John, I can also recommend Mal and Miracle Paint Masks, they work great, even for an old fashioned type like me, used them on my last 2 builds.

Unfortunately Ian I sold my Hornet in a stash clearance otherwise you would have been welcome to it.

Cheers

Den

Time for a "Deja vu all over again" update .................

To fix my chevron alignment error I decided to sand off the upper wing markings and repaint them. This had the added bonus that I could also fill the upper wing panel lines (with thanks again to David Collins) while I was at it ......

Chevron's end ......... :crying:

DSC01063.jpg

Panel lines filled with thin CA applied with a stretched plastic cotton bud tube (very effective :) )

DSC01064.jpg

Repeat for port wing:-

DSC01066.jpg

Spray that again :-

DSC01070.jpg

Close up of wing with corrected panel lines

DSC01072.jpg

Next update (hopefully later today) should have the upper wing markings restored .............. :elephant:

Thanks for looking and any comments/criticism you may have.

Ian

Ian,

I admire your perseverance!

I am also battling away with the CA Sea Hornet and like you at the painting stage. I bought the superb AD HOC Publications book about the Sea Hornet and this shows the lack of some of the panel lines on the surfaces of the wings and fuselage that CA chose to mould and that most plans include.

After studying photos I also believe the ailerons are incorrect, being too deep chord wise and that they should follow the recessed line nearer the trailing edge.

Still, I am sure you will end up with an excellent model of probably the most beautiful aeroplane ever built.

Regards

Mike