D.H. 50 G-EBFO

Glenn R

Hi All,

It's question time again:

The cover of the Air Britain book 'Highways to the Empire' shows a painting of Sir Alan Cobham's D.H. 50 G-EBFO wearing the colours of red and silver.

In the books of Cobham's flights to The Cape and to Australia the colours look to be BLACK and silver. Does anyone know what the correct colour scheme actually was???

Regards,

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

It's question time again:

The cover of the Air Britain book 'Highways to the Empire' shows a painting of Sir Alan Cobham's D.H. 50 G-EBFO wearing the colours of red and silver.

In the books of Cobham's flights to The Cape and to Australia the colours look to be BLACK and silver. Does anyone know what the correct colour scheme actually was???

Regards,

Glenn

Hi.

I always believed EBFO to be Red (fuselage) and on some old films Red can appear darker. It certainly looks like Black in many photos, but in two separate photos the wing tank appears to be body colour and in the other one it matches the wing. I'm sure the floats fitted at one point were Shorts and they were always finished in Rylands Gloss white enamel.

John

• 13 years later...
On 7/6/2008 at 12:34 AM, John Aero said:

I always believed EBFO to be Red

On 7/6/2008 at 12:34 AM, John Aero said:

hey were always finished in Rylands Gloss white enamel

You were half correct - the floats were white. This is from the Newcastle Morning Herald and Miner's Advocate, Wednesday June 30 1926. Looking at this in conjunction with the pictures of G-EBFO would lead one to suggest it was a very dark blue.

51939486291_02c9f2ce7d_n.jpg[/url][

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Looking at this in conjunction with the pictures of G-EBFO would lead one to suggest it was a very dark blue.

[/url][

Indeed, which of course makes sense as it was operated on behalf of Imperial Airways, who had that colour scheme at the time. I think the red assumption came from the fact it was a De Havilland hire aircraft which was leased and retained their dark red colour scheme, but probably it got repainted.