* Messerschmitt Bf 109E / A.Galland : FINISHED

zero

Well Heres my build for this GB (but depending on time and how fast this goes together I might attempt a Revell 1/32 Spitfire I/IIb)

the Kit

322046696.jpg

Inside the box

322046737.jpg

the free Adolf Galland figure in the box.

322046736.jpg

As you can see there are plenty of decals in this kit, and several paint schemes to do (even just for Galland's Aircraft) I'd really set my heart on doing a Yellow nosed B@@@@@@, but the pale blue version with the pheonix/type dragon on the side (like the original airfix 1/24 scale) also very much appeals. So it looks like I'm going to have to find another E kit. (ho hum)

If I can get anywhere near this quality I'll be very happy

http://hsfeatures.com/gallanddt_1.htm

Dave

Edited by zero

Looks like an awesome build Dave and to me nothing says Battle of Britain quite like a yellow nosed 109 (well from the German side anyway). I'll certainly be watching this one with interest.

Btw, what's the kit like, can you give us a bit of an in-box review?

Edited by darson

Looks like an awesome build Dave and to me nothing says Battle of Britain quite like a yellow nosed 109 (well from the German side anyway). I'll certainly be watching this one with interest.

Btw, what's the kit like, can you give us a bit of an in-box review?

Sure no problem

Well the kit has three basic sprues, of grey plastic, and one clear which has two full cockpits. the model is a special release, so as well as three Basic 109E builds there is also 5 other builds as well, So there is plenty of spare decals in this kit, so I hope in time to pick up another E and build one of the other Galland options. (I also want to build the 262 kit as well)

322102464.jpg

The Kit suffers from a little flash here and there, but nothing to serious, however the kit has raises detail (rivets) so this means being careful with the seams and joins. there not very pronouced so it's not going to be to much of a problem, but I'm going to try to sand as little as possable but the fuselage spine is the one which will count.

the wing is one piece bottom moulding and this is where I need to pay the most attention, I missed a lot of marks on my Hayabusa that showed after painting, so this one, and future models will get a lot more prep time and sanding with reducing grades.

322102461.jpg

If this goes together as well as the Haybusa did i'll be more than happy.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1409/6773...3/321651801.jpg

However I get the feel this kit is quite old dispite it's condision, as the price on the box is £12.99 and as we all know any Hasegawa kit is going to be £20 plus now days. Generally the parts look clean and sharp, however I have noted so area already that will need careful attention. The Tailplanes (elevators) have sprue tags on them and the side edges are bevelled yet the tags take them off the edge flat, so there going to need careful blending to put the shape bad on them.

As I said, lots of Decals, lots of instruction, non to clear as yet, but some one posted me some nice plates to view on another site, so this will help with my choice of marking. However I have to do this yellow nosed don't I. Generally it looks a simple build, no major cockpit detail, but there is plenty of after market stuff out there if wanted, however this one will be OOB as is, due to time factor, and thats what I'm happy doing most. I'm quite sure although this model could be dramatically improved with Etch, I'm hoping it will stand up and out with out them.

322102458.jpg

In all, I'm really looking forward to building this, and I hope to get time to build a spitfire as well to go along side it.

Dave

Looks like a very nice kit with a figure too! Looking forward to seeing it built!

Cheers,

Azgaron

Looks like a very nice kit with a figure too! Looking forward to seeing it built!

Cheers,

Azgaron

Thanks

Yep the figure is of Adolf Galland himself, So I hope to use it not only with this model, but a few others as Well. I'm going to pick up the Hasegawa Galland Me 262 model (not difficult to find) and also build a few more of Galland's 109's from hopefully cheap 109e's sourced over time, there are plenty of Decal options in the kit and he had many different paint schemes on his aircraft (even in such a short space of time)

Dave

Yes, I guess there are a few options if you want to build planes flown by Galland! I've been thinking of getting the Me 262 sometime!

Cheers,

Azgaron

• 2 weeks later...

Well sorry for a bit of a late start. I was on a Cisco course for work, and after a day of subnetting and coding, my head was ready to explode, so I've only just started this today.

Anyway not much action as of yet bid a bit of basic painting to get some paint on the engine parts and I'm still struggling over what Tamiya paints are going to be best for this. I'm still looking for best matches, but it nearly time for me to bite the bullet and sort it out.

Anywhy here a sprue shot of the bits and some black paint laid down on the engine bits. (I'm not going to spend to my time on the engine, although there is a cowling open option available for this, i'm not a lover of this, I like to see the model all together but we will see as we go on.

323437478.jpg

one thing to note about the model, the mould is well hammered, there is an awful lot of flash on the bits and the main parts took about an hour just to clean up to something near ready to assemble. anyway after a quick clean up of the bits, I've built the benz engine, and done a quick test fit of the external bits, as I like to do this, 1, it gives me a quick peak at what it looks like, and I believe this stops me rushing (as I've already seen it before!) and 2, I can see any basic problem areas, and being honest the wing fit, to the fuselage is not the best I have seen, so this is going to need so very careful filling.

Anyway progress so far, the test fits

323576670.jpg

323576675.jpg

Dave

Thanks Guys

I've been on evenings and nights for the last five days, so it just a case of eat sleep work. but the job is interesting andf pays well

Just finished the painting session, everything is now drying and I'll let it dry well before starting to assemble.

324134981.jpg

Dave

Nice start! I just finished building this kit myself over at LSP, but I foolishly tried to stuff it with a bunch of aftermarket stuff, which caused no end of difficulties. I wish now that I'd simply gone OOB with a few minor improvements! Yours should look quite good when it's done.

Kev

Hi Kev

Wish I hads looked at you pictures before, we came up with very different solutions to the same problem I think I've gone wrong! Argh

to resolve the gap at the back of the seat slide the whole assembly back to the seat line this seemed logical at the time but now I can see the exhaust stubs are now to far back on mine and hence this is incorrect

Me109E_2k.jpg

324266844.jpg

I've managed to pull the engine forward, resolving this, but now my cockpit tub is to far back. I have two ways of dealing with this, that is crack it open and resolve something I've already had major problems with, or live with it, and nail the canopy shut, As I have manged to rectify the engine alingment problem clearly the second option has to be the better way to go.

Dave

Nice 109.

Thanks Daz

I seem to have put right most of my blunder, and now things seem (well appear to sit right (I'm kicking myself for making such a basic error)) But the parts fitted better the way I had them over how they should have fitted. anyway after filler and filing heres the check ensuring the canopy fits over the IP now

324274076.jpg

Everything now at least appears correct on the outside.

324274073.jpg

The fit of the Bottom wing plate was much better than expected, I only needed filler toward the front to fill a minimal gap in the end, but this is going to take some more filling and blending to get it to look right

324274071.jpg

Next the tailplanes when on, bit tricky holding the plane, the tailplane, and fitting the struts but we got there in the end.

324274082.jpg

The kit suffers from a lot of flash hope it clear here, ie you can see just how rough and how much cleaning this kit needed. it the trim tab before

324274086.jpg

And After

324274083.jpg

I've now rough sanded and filled all the seems, thankfully the top ones only needed tipex, so i'm now at this stage, and going to leave it all to dry. The cowling and prop are all push fit, and just added to the shot to see how it's looking.

324274079.jpg

Dave

Edited by zero

Looking good Dave

Thanks Mish (I think I got away with it!) :analintruder:

Close of play today. (well on the fuselage, I might paint some of the smaller bits and get them finished!)

Many sanding done, Undercoat on, now need to clean up the area's than need more sanding and filling before painting.

324298165.jpg

324298171.jpg

Dave

Looking good Dave, and I'm glad you got your issues sorted out. Should I ever build another one of these kits (doubtful), I'll do it OOB and all closed up! Looking forward to seeing yours finished.

Kev

Thanks Kev

More WIP

324444127.jpg

324444124.jpg

324444118.jpg

Dave

Taking shape nicely Dave

Thanks Mish

More work this afternoon.

The Underside is now finish, I've just got a few areas on the top surface to retouch I'll doe this tomorrow when the paint is fully dry and I can sand a few bleamishes down and repaint them

324451933.jpg

324451928.jpg

Dave

Okay I lied

I did a bit more today and finished the top surface too!

I LOVE ACRYLICS

Top was dry enough to work, so the paint work has been finished totally, and the aircraft is now awating a klear coat, which will be tomorrow

324473131.jpg

324473125.jpg

Dave