* Spitfire Mk1/2

Azgaron

Thanks Nick!

You're the second one to inform me of the same thing today! - Strange! :)

Off with 'em then! :)

:cheers:

Azgaron

I haven't done as much as I hoped, but at least I got something done! :) Now the canopy is masked and temporarily in place, and I had a go at some pre-shading!

spitfire_mk1_pre_shade_640x480.jpg

Painting straight lines, how hard can it be? Anyway, I guess it won't show after I got the other colors on.

Azgaron

Thanks Mish!

I've started painted painting the white half of the underside! Had some problems with the airbrush making splats!

Azgaron

Edited by Azgaron

Hate to be a JMN mate, but BoB Spits would have been entirely sky underneath from what I've been told.

Black and white was a factory finish on Spits from April 1939 to June 1940, and sky/duck egg blue/eau de nil (depending on paint stocks) from 6th June 1940. Most underside schemes would have been painted up on frontline fighters fairly quickly.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.... It is your kit, and I must admit the b/w undersides on a Spit look really cool.

Nick

Drat! If the moderators of this GB and everyone else isn't too nitpicky, then I'll stick with the black and white scheme! It could be a machine that had just arriwed, just before repainting!

I hope I can get a comment soon, as I haven't started on the black color yet, and I don't want to miss out on the raffle due to wrong colors!

Azgaron

Hate to be a JMN mate, but BoB Spits would have been entirely sky underneath from what I've been told.

Black and white was a factory finish on Spits from April 1939 to June 1940, and sky/duck egg blue/eau de nil (depending on paint stocks) from 6th June 1940. Most underside schemes would have been painted up on frontline fighters fairly quickly.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.... It is your kit, and I must admit the b/w undersides on a Spit look really cool.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Yor remarks on the B/W are correct. But we won't be that strickt on the matter.

As you point out yourself the B/W was used untill 6 th June 1940.So a few weeks off from the official BoB timeframe is not such a big deal.

As it was/is Ok to do a b/w I'll continue down the path already started! :)

First I painted the white side!

spitfire_mk1_white_paint_640x480.jpg

Which after about three layers of white turned out pretty good I think!

Yesterday I masked the white and painted the black side!

spitfire_mk1_black_paint_640x480.jpg

After removing the masking it looked like this!

spitfire_mk1_black_and_white_paint_640x480.jpg

I hope I can get started with the top side camo today! I was told it should have sharp lines, so sharp lines it'll be! :)

Azgaron

Thanks Andy and Richard!

I've been working a little on the camo, but nothing to show yet! I'm going to the hobby shop and see if I can find something that I can use to ease up the masking a bit!

Cheers,

Azgaron

Here's some progress pics!

I don't know if the top side pre-shade did any good, but here's a pic that shows it just before the final layers of brown!

spitfire_mk1_awful_paint_640x480.jpg

Then I just masked in the general directions of the camo, making an artistic interpretation look! :)

spitfire_mk1_artistic_masking_640x480.jpg

After that I drew freehand lines and cut out the camo. Then on with some green, and once dry I unmasked it!

spitfire_mk1_camo_painted_640x480.jpg

The green color turned out a bit thinner than anticipated, and I think I'll retouch it somehow! I also need to do some touch ups!

Azgaron

• 10 months later...

Well, it's been quite a while since last post! :)

After some touch ups I started decalling today! :)

spitfire_mk1_decals_under_640x480.jpg

Seems like the gun ports are supposed to be covered!

Tipside next! :)

Cheers,

Håkan