* Spitfire Mk1/2

Azgaron

Hi

I'll be watching your build with interest, I'm doing a Me 109 in this GB, but I have this one in my stash, and may just run it out after the 109.

Good luck with your build.

Dave

I did one of these a while ago, and I posted it in the Previous BoB Builds forum on the 17th June. Have a look and see what you think. I don't remember any real difficulties with the kit, except that the fuselage has raised panel lines whereas the wings are engraved. I rescribed my fuselage to match the wings.

Also the oil cooler under the port wing has a strange construction - it's in two parts, front and back, and if you add the front part it protrudes forward over the wheel well. This would obviously foul the undercart when it was raised, so I simply left the front off my oil cooler to prevent it from looking strange. It's hardly noticeable.

Have fun with it,

Dean

Thank you all!

Stuart, I'll get a pic up as soon as I can access the other computer!

Dean, Very nice looking builds you've put out there! The Spit looks great!

Thanks for the building advice!

Chris, that Spit is looking great!

Cheers,

Azgaron

Chris, that Spit is looking great!

Yeah unfortunately my wife was dusting..............you can guess the rest. :(

I really haven't decided that yet! I'll have to figure it out soon I guess! :)

Cheers,

Azgaron

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've started! :) Yeah kind of, I've spilled the contents on the table! :)

spitfire_mk1_contents_640x480.jpg

As you perhaps can see some the cokpit parts and pilot is loose, and I'll start painting them today!

More pics, hopefully, later today! :)

Cheers,

Azgaron

Good luck with this, I'll be watching this one too. Another kit I have in my stash, and to go along side the 109 I've just finished here.

Dave

Thank you all!

With a wingspan of nearly 30cm it takes some space! But it isn't worse than I can handle! Lucky it isn't any of the V bombers! :)

Cheers,

Azgaron

The one I built, GW-Z, is from 1941 so that one is out. It will have to be the other.

This is a very good kit. It went together very well and very little needed doing. Mine is sitting up on top of the bookcase feeling very sorry for itself. The u/c is completely knackered so if I were to repair it, I'sd have to mount it in the flying pose. Difficult when there is no pilot in the office.

Thanks for the info Chris! Sorry to hear about the u/c! A flying plane without a pilot is perhaps a bit strange! Isn't it anything you can fix?

Dylan, I haven't considered it yet! I haven't done any rescribing before, except for repairing/filling in missing ones! maybe I'll try it on this one if feel there's time enough!

Cheers,

Azgaron

Ok, I finally got something done! :)

spitfire_mk1_interior_green_1_640x480.jpg

Next I'll paint details and do some wash and dry brushing!

Cheers,

Azgaron

Although I've been working with the interior side panels, I've noticed there an option (in step 4 part c8 and part c18). One is a round pad/head rest look alike thing and the other looks more like two tubes. Both goes on the back of the frame where the head rest sits. So how do I know wich one to use? Sorry no pic!

One more question, should the frame parts behind the seat be in aluminium?

Cheers,

Azgaron

IIRC, the round head rest/pad goes on the triangular armour plating above where the Sutton Harness comes through, and the item looking like two tubes one on top of the other is fitted to the other side of the frame - so round one facing fore to the cockpit, the other facing aft.

HTH

Although I've been working with the interior side panels, I've noticed there an option (in step 4 part c8 and part c18). One is a round pad/head rest look alike thing and the other looks more like two tubes. Both goes on the back of the frame where the head rest sits. So how do I know wich one to use? Sorry no pic!

One more question, should the frame parts behind the seat be in aluminium?

Cheers,

Azgaron

Here's a couple of shots I took of a Vb I think at Duxford, but I doubt if this would have changed much between those marks. The frame the seat attaches to is usually green, and the frame directly under the rear edge of the rear transparency seems to be either aluminium or silver lacquer:

spit1a.jpg

Whilst the arrangement behind the headrest was some sort of rectifier I believe:

spit2a.jpg

If it's any help, I did the frame green and used the pad type thing behind the headrest on mine:

spit6.jpg

Knowing me, I'm bound to have got it wrong in both cases!

Hope that helps. Did you find any yellow Luftwaffe codes, by the way?

Cheers,

Dean