* Messerschmitt Me109E: FINISHED

GoonerChris

This will be the home of my 'to be completed' build of Willy M's masterpiece.

Current state of affairs is this:

Fuselage built but requires re-painting and extra work

Wings built but require re-painting and extra work

The whole airframe requires putting together plus additional work

Canopy masked but requires new paint job

Come to think of it, I should just strip it down and start again.

Oh dear Mike! Orange Juice!?

I've just hoiked the old bird from the bottom of the stash to check her over. Very dusty and the paintwork is shocking. Looks as if there will be some filling to do as well.

I'll just have to see how it goes.

Edited by GoonerChris

Here is a shot of progress so far:

2008_06180002.jpg

The decals to be used along with additions from Paul Parkes:

2008_06180004.jpg

A picture of 'Yellow 2' at Coquelles:

2008_06180005.jpg

And 'Yellow 2' finally seeing daylight after 60 years in the earth at Chislet, Canterbury:

2008_06180006.jpg

I'm really looking forward to this one Chris it should an awesome build. The only thing is where the heck are you going to put the completed kit, it's huge?????

Also, a bit of a confession, I had a haircut almost exactly the same as that singer in the clip back in the 80s :sick:

What condition is 'Yellow 2' in now?.

JB.

What condition is 'Yellow 2' in now?.

JB.

The remains of the original are at the Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge and it is supposedly the most complete wreck of a 109 in Britain. The one at Hendon doesn't count as it crash-landed in a Kentish field.

This is the Hendon example:

DSC09689.jpg

The engine is displayed and other parts and the fuselage goes back as far as the cockpit. All very mangled obviously but recognisable.

http://www.kbobm.org/

Above is the link to the museum website which houses a few of the replicas used in the Battle of Britain film both Allied and Axis aircraft as well as vehicles, items from well-known personalties from that period, model dioramas, etc. It is very cheap to visit and the musuem is self-funding. It lives or dies by its visitor numbers and it is the only original bit of the airfield left as the rest has been buried under new houses.

I did have a picture of 'Yellow 2' as it is now but cannot find it. I'll have to use it as an excuse to go again.

Thanks Gooner, the one you have in the picture is white 4 at Duxford not Hendon.

Hendon has an ex-airworthy example black 6, she should be in the air but thats another story.

Regards,

JB.

Hmm,

I just checked out the Hawkinge museum website and they won't let you use a camera 'on grounds of both security and copyright'. That's a bit unusual isn't it? Pity.

Phil.

Last year there was a gentleman from the Shoreham Aircraft Museum speaking here in Canada and l had to opportunity to hear him. According to what he said there is another intact BoB 109E buried in a 60 feet of bog not far from the museum. They know what aircraft it is and who the pilot was. They were at the time of his visit trying to raise funds to excavate the wreak from the bog. Does anyone know the progress on this is and does anyone know what 109E its and who the pilot was. l been trying to find out and have sent several emails to Shoreham with no reply.

later

Edited by hacker

It's a sad state of affairs to be in that situation, the note below that about thefts is also shocking, I for one would not like to go to a museum and not take pictures.

It's the whole idea about being an enthusiast to me, go to a museum....take pictures to make a record of your trip, the last thing I would want to do is travel all that way to get searched and hand over any bags or coats just so you can go in and have a look.

Such a wonderfull looking collection, such a shame it's not very inviting.

JB.

Thanks Gooner, the one you have in the picture is white 4 at Duxford not Hendon.

Hendon has an ex-airworthy example black 6, she should be in the air but thats another story.

Regards,

JB.

It was the first pic I found on the 'Bucket' and thought it was in the Hendon section.

What a pillock! Thanks for correcting me.

I think my brain is going. I seem to be making trolley loads of mistakes lately. :mental:

Hmm,

I just checked out the Hawkinge museum website and they won't let you use a camera 'on grounds of both security and copyright'. That's a bit unusual isn't it? Pity.

Phil.

Ways and means, old chap. Ways and means. :whistle:

Get my drift?

the Hawkinge Museum-

- is to me probably the most atmospheric aviation museum in the world, let alone the UK. It is just .. I can't actually put it into words, but.. it has to be visited. When it's on display, you can always go and check the true shade of 70/71 on a relic taken off a brand new aircraft and kept in sunlight proof storage since summer 1940, or indeed check the true extremely light blue shade as applied to the many 109E's operating at maximum range over the cold waters of the English Channel. To me, the place is not purely a museum, and for the visitors with actual knowledge of what happened over Kent at the start of WW2, and want to pay their dues, it's a shrine, pure and simple..

• Like 1

Bang on!

Despite the place being surrounded by overpriced wendy houses, when you walk into the different buildings, the atmosphere changes. I get this mental picture of what it was like, the smells, the sounds, the roar of Merlins overhead, vehicles moving, people talking.

Caroline thinks I'm barking but then again, I just have that kind of imagination. I can't help it. I can see it in my ninds eye but cannot express it properly.

Ah ha! Tricked you!

You thought I had posted something?

Well I have of sorts.

I'm gonna start on the agreed date as mine only needs some adjustments. The main bits are built. The painting is gonna be a pain.

From what I've seen so far, good stuff. Keep it up guys and gals.

Started today by having a good look at what has to be done.

The carbs have been sawn of the top of the engine to ensure, at the very least, a fit of the cowling. That has been glued and strapped up with Tamiya tape for now.

The wings have had a gentle rubdown to get rid of the balls up I made of the original painting. Used Tamiya acrylics which don't really like being brush painted. Didn't know that at the time.

The wheel wells and panel behind the pilot have had a quick dab of RLM02 but will need another coat just to make sure.

I'm debating whether to recoat the whole aircraft with RLM65 as the Humbrol paint that's one there looks rubbish.

That's about it so far. I've got another hour before getting ready for the late shift.

Edited by GoonerChris

Just a few pics of progress:

2008_07020001.jpg

The beast in its box

2008_07020002.jpg

The wings masked up. The Dunkelgrun is on. The Schwarzgrun is in its first coat stage. At least two more coats to be applied.

2008_07020003.jpg

The prop done and ready

2008_07020004.jpg

2008_07020005.jpg

Port and starboard pics of the cowling fit. Despite sawing off the carbs, there is still a 1-2mm gap and a small step at the front. If you are doing a kit that includes the engine, don't bother putting the thing in unless dryfitting guarantees a perfect fit.

I've just tried to attach the other two cowling pieces next to the front of the cockpit.

Well, blimey! Nightmare! Not only do they not meet properly in the middle, there is a 3mm gap at the bottom of each piece. This has now meant that I've had to slice off the back section of the MG on the upper port side as it was getting in the way, remove the mount for the same gun and I removed the rear cover of the IP.

This will be built with less pieces than a Series 1 kit at this rate!

Ho hum.

Edited by GoonerChris

Chris I have this kit built and awaiting repair in the spares box. It's an old one built by my dad many many many, did I say many? Years ago. just had a quick look and it doesn't seem to suffer from the same faults, did Airfix change molds or something over the years?

I've just tried to attach the other two cowling pieces next to the front of the cockpit.

Well, blimey! Nightmare! Not only do they not meet properly in the middle, there is a 3mm gap at the bottom of each piece. This has now meant that I've had to slice off the back section of the MG on the upper port side as it was getting in the way, remove the mount for the same gun and I removed the rear cover of the IP.

This will be built with less pieces than a Series 1 kit at this rate!

Ho hum.

Solidarity brother!

The fit on my 1/24th Hurricane for the cowling etc is awful too.

I'm leaving the engine and machine gun bays out

Chris I have this kit built and awaiting repair in the spares box. It's an old one built by my dad many many many, did I say many? Years ago. just had a quick look and it doesn't seem to suffer from the same faults, did Airfix change molds or something over the years?

I don't think so Mish. It all looks pretty normal, but then again, what was normal in 'old' Airfixworld? Maybe the moulds are just knackered? Either way, I'm having a 'mare. Some bits just don't fit properly. Or maybe it's just my cack-handedness?

I think that if you have an early issue of these kits, you will get away with it but the newer boxings will require some work to get right.

Just to give me a little time away from this one (as if I haven't had long enough already? :wacko: ), I had a little spray can session with a Sunderland I'm building. Have always loved this aircraft. A big old beast. The factory where they were built was upriver from where I live. All gone now. Got flats on it but you can still see the old slipways they used.

Edited by GoonerChris

Pressing on doggedly.

It's really all about a bit of rubbing down and repainting.

I've had to o a little research on the likely camo pattern of Ulrich's Yellow 2. I have a photograph but not very clear so I'm going for an approximation and hope it turns out alright.

PS: I bought 'The Battle of Britain' on video at the weekend from a charity shop. Will sit down and watch it in the next couple of days. Caroline went mental.

'YOU ARE OBSESSED WITH WAR AND KILLING!!!!'

'No darling, I'm interested in history. There is a difference. Death is a by-product'.

I also bought 'Battle of the Bulge' and 'The Eagle Has Landed'. Hmmm, she may have a point.

Edited by GoonerChris