Last Skyhawk

Hi all,

A few pics of the final combat A-4M Skyhawk flown by the United States Marine Corps.

DSC00082.jpg

The Diamondbacks, a reserve unit, retired the Skyhawk in 1994, celbrating the bantam bomber's long and excellent service with this wonderful colour scheme.

DSC00083.jpg

This kit is the "Last Skyhawk" boxing from Hasegawa, which includes a few extras, larger landing gear which the last few A-4Ms were fitted with. The main landing gear and u/c doors have been modified. The decals are by Cutting edge, although last year, Hasegawa did relase an issue with these markings printed by Cartograf

DSC00084.jpg

While it doesn't have the clean nose of earlier varients, I think the Mike is the most purposeful looking of the Skyhawk family, and it's one of my favourites

DSC00081.jpg

Hope you like it

Joel

• Like 5

Good work fella :guitar: .

JB.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your comments.

The USMC don't have CAG birds like the Navy, but the CO's aircraft is very often done in a special colour scheme. Before the grey TPS scheme, all the squadrons birds would be colourful, especially during the 1976 Bicentennial year.

I absolutely love Hasegawa's Skyhawk family. With the exception of the A-4A and the two seaters, you can do the whole family. They go together very well and come in attractive colour schemes.

Joel

Well now aren't we a busy little beaver.......I really must advise you that a model assembly line is not condusive with sanity.....yer gonna go bonkers figuring out what you've done and what you haven't....:blink::wacko:

BTW very nice scooter, Hotrod....and other names it picked up along the way to the hall of fame.

Edited by Angels49

I have to confess, I got the photo bug again last week, and decided to shoot a few builds from years previous . Got quite a few more to add if you want...

It's enough to drive one quite mad Clif, I must admit! Just about to start something nice and new, and you realise, you hadn't armed / glossed/ matted(!), stencilled one from a couple of months back. I do have only one Skyhawk that's not finished though!(did 3 last year!) Thanks again, I think these are bloody lovely little planes

Joel

Edited by Bandwagon 106

• 11 years later...
On 18/06/2008 at 08:47, Bandwagon 106 said:

Hi all,

A few pics of the final combat A-4M Skyhawk flown by the United States Marine Corps.

DSC00082.jpg

The Diamondbacks, a reserve unit, retired the Skyhawk in 1994, celbrating the bantam bomber's long and excellent service with this wonderful colour scheme.

DSC00083.jpg

This kit is the "Last Skyhawk" boxing from Hasegawa, which includes a few extras, larger landing gear which the last few A-4Ms were fitted with. The main landing gear and u/c doors have been modified. The decals are by Cutting edge, although last year, Hasegawa did relase an issue with these markings printed by Cartograf

DSC00084.jpg

While it doesn't have the clean nose of earlier varients, I think the Mike is the most purposeful looking of the Skyhawk family, and it's one of my favourites

DSC00081.jpg

Hope you like it

Joel

hi man, congrats for your work. Since I've been restoring my old one by Matchbox (made around in early 80s) and eager to paint it like yours, could you tell me which grey did you use?

regards from italy 

Congratulations! This is a beautiful A-4 you have created!

Funny, it is not my favorite paint scheme, but looking at it and it grows on me!!!

Well done!

JR