100 years of Handley Page

hello all.

june 2009 will make the 100th anniversary of the formation of handley page ltd.

i was wondering what support there might be from brimodellers for a HP GB?

lots of loverly a/c to build....

lets see heyford, victor, hampden, halifax, halton, hastings, jetstream, 0/400, 0/100 and V/1500

and plenty of a/c amongst these with plenty of history. there are three VC winners, learoyd and

hannah on hampdens and barton on halifaxs. the service of the victor and that from 1918 to

2004 there is an unbroken history of the RAF never being without an aircaft of HP design.

and plenty of a/c like the hare and hamlet to tax the scratchbuilders...

i is a victor nut and HP affecionado and for a few years now a HPA member, so is rather biased!

over to you guys.

trevor

Edited by Howard of Effingham

I'd be interested, living not too far from the old HP works. Looking at your list made me realise I don't have any HP kits in my stash, so it also gives me an excuse to go model shopping :evil_laugh:, not that I need one!

Edited by Obi-Jiff Kenobi

good good!

now all we need is the nod.

i have a list of HP a/c kits on another forum and will cross post when i get the time. hmm, the interim list is now below.......

Dart Herald

HP.5

HP.42/45

HP.75

Halifax/Halton

Hampden/Hereford

Harrow/Sparrow

HP.88

HP.115

Hastings

Hermes

Heyford

Hyderabad/Hinadi

Victor

0/400

for the full list i will have to talk with a canadian friend of mine! there's plenty here....

• 4 weeks later...

hmm, things are getting going with this one in a fashion over at The Handley Page Centinary theme build but are you britmodellers still interested? though you will sadly probably have to register to take a peek. :(

i have in the stash lets see....

four matchbox/RoG 1/72 victor K2

one RoG [frog] 1/96 victor [b1 or prototypes only]

three RoG repops [of the Matchbox kit] of the heyford

and building but as whiffs

1/72 RoG [matchbox] victor B2 upgrade for late 1970's service

1/72 maquette repop of the old frog moulds HP dart herald as a HP herald R2 elint a/c in 98 sqn markings

so what are u-lot up to? :);)

• 2 months later...

started varnishing the HP dart herald elint bird last night.

using just for a change some of the gloss RoG aquacolor varnish.

it brushes on really well! :blush: and dries in [almost] double quick time :blush:

its getting 98 sqn markings sometime soon. :mg:

btw, Robert A, i think some metal rod reinforcing will come in handy somewhere on the heyford.

and my take on a 1970's upgraded victor B2 actually creeps into the 1980's and is getting 139 sqn

markings. these [apart from the 1980's SAM set for the 1960's B2's] are hard to find. so in true

wiffy style, it just so happens that the 20th anniversary of jamaican independence was in august

1982, so you can imagine at the backend of the falklands war, the painters at wideawake got busy

one night..... :mg:

Aye up Trev!

Still working on that HP-99 scratchbuild! May get a bit more done this weekend if I can fit in a session at Geoff's place. Got the new cockpit floor sorted and finally got the bulge removed from the forward fuselage, now need to paint the new cockpit up then get to it with filling up the forward fuselage with milliput and shaping it to match the scale drawings. With a very fair wind I may yet get this one onto the table at Telford....

:cheers:

Duncan

Re the list: I don't recall a kit of the HP 5?

The most obvious omission is the Jetstream.

The most important not kitted is the V/1500, as my suggestion.

you can try scratchbuilding graham you know for the V/1500, manx and the HP5.

not an easy option mind you, but some folk will try. :tease:

the jetstream has been kitted by airfix [and was reissued by them for the airfix club a year or three back iirc] amongst

others. i have one of these that i am rebuilding at the mo'. some fine chappie from IPMS brampton beat me to one at

this years hinckley show, :( and a bundled conversion to the correct engines for the RAF's jetstream T1, :mg:

Airfix is the only mainline company to do the Jetstream, although Welsh Models do several in 1/144. Plus the Herald, Victor and Hastings. I had six on order for when they first came out, but the company went bust first. I managed to get my order via the old company grapevine, and am still working through them (two left). Or not, to be honest, but one day.....

I have at least one set of engine conversions, plus the Aeroclub Pucara engines which will do. I'll see if I can find them.

I presume it would be possible to use O/400 parts for the V/1500, but that's the sensible-sounding prophecy that just falls away on close inspection. I'm more likely to go to the O/100, or an early airliner. A pink O/400 is teasingly tempting.

Does anyone know of drawings for the HP130? (Boundary flow HS125) - conversion from the Airfix Dominie seems quite do-able

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/vie...20-%202463.html

Handley Page HP.130 Though yet only the subject of an MoA design study contract, this laminar transport conversion of the HS.125 is being designed as if the prototype order were inevitable, with the eventual hope that two might be ordered. Fuselage and engine installation of the HS.125 are unaltered, but a new, larger and slightly more swept wing is fitted, with spanwise sucking slits in upper and lower surfaces. Suction is to be provided by a small turbine housed in a Dominie-type blister ahead of the wing root, the exhaust being vented under the fuselage at approximately flight velocity. This last is an important aspect of the laminarization

process and increases propulsive efficiency. The problem of keeping the sucking slots clean in dusty surroundings remains to be resolved in practice; and sucking is not intended for use during the approach. The optimum size for a laminarized wing is greater than that for an equivalent normal wing, so that a lower CLmax is needed and lowspeed problems proportionately reduced.

Handley Page expect both civil and military interest in the HP.130, with Transport Command as possible experimenters in world-wide trials. Range increase over the standard HS.125 should be about 200 miles

Edited by Dave Fleming

I'll bring it to the attention of the President of the Handley Page Association, Harry Fraser-Mitchell.

He's the chap who taught me Aeronautical Engineering Design back at Kingston when I was a Student.

He also sponsors the Handley Page Trophy at SMW.

Cheers,

Rob Monfea

I like the sound of this one. I have a Heyford, 0/400, Victor, Jetstream, Halifax in the stash waiting for an excuse to be built. If I can work out how to insert pictures I'm in.

Tony :clif:

• 2 weeks later...
I would do a Victor too, there will be loads of them I bet!

Great! I love the Victor.

:ditto: Im afraid Ive only got a Victor in the stash but I will save it specifically for this one, Id feel quite proud to have such a good reason to build it :thumbsup2:

Bex

• 2 months later...

Hi Trevor, something a bit different, I will hopefully have finished my 1/72nd scratchbuilt HP 100 (strangely appropriate!!) supersonic V-bomber proposal by then. It should be hitting the Asylum Aviation production line early in the new year. All the plans are now scaled up and in place for the main build to start, just need a bit of fine tuning with specific details from certain quarters( :ninja: ).

Also have a Maintrack HP 115 I could throw in....

Cheers,

Andy