Vulcan XH558

seanrgb

I'm glad they'll be filming it. I've got the Vulcan XH558 "Out of the ashes" DVD, but I believe there are some others available - is that so? Are they planning on producing some more? I'd love one that covered from her first flight to the closing of the airshow season. That'd be straight on my wishlist :D

Bobski,

Unfortunately mate, I'm not touching that with a 40 foot pole!

No, the first flight won't be publicised at all. Not in the least due to the traffic problems, security problems, safety issues, CAA issues, and Insurance level issues that publicising it would bring. Sorry mate, but that one is for 'Our eyes only'!!

As goes the filming, better news on that front, I'm happy to say. Yes it will all be filmed in total, and will be widely distributed ,for as many people to see as possible. As much as it would be nice for everybody to be able to witness the first flight, there are a list of reasons as long as your arm as to why this will not be possible

Flipflopman

Oh well, was worth a try! I look forward to seeing the video afterwards - its going to be incredible to see a Vulcan flying again.

Hi,

It's blue overalls usually, however, I have been wearing a fetching set of white paper overalls today, as I spent the day rebuilding No 3 tank Port!

As goes the DVD's, Primetime are doing the set of restoration DVD's for the project. Part one has been released for quite a while, here's a link Part One Vulcan Restoration and Part Two should be getting released in the next couple of weeks. Also, the History Channel/Discovery, have been filming, and will be showing a special Vulcan programme as part of their Falklands celebrations, starting on the 15th of June I believe.

Cheers

Flipflopman

Hi,

It's blue overalls usually, however, I have been wearing a fetching set of white paper overalls today, as I spent the day rebuilding No 3 tank Port!

As goes the DVD's, Primetime are doing the set of restoration DVD's for the project. Part one has been released for quite a while, here's a link Part One Vulcan Restoration and Part Two should be getting released in the next couple of weeks. Also, the History Channel/Discovery, have been filming, and will be showing a special Vulcan programme as part of their Falklands celebrations, starting on the 15th of June I believe.

Cheers

Flipflopman

First one now ordered. :thumbsup: White paper overalls eh? Tried those once when I was ripping the floor out of my old house. They lasted about 20 minutes before I was giving everyone a flash of my grundies when I bent down :blush:

Anyone got Discovery that could record it to DVD for me? :please: Will that be out on DVD too? Hope so :D

Pretty cool news there

Mike I have the Discovery Channel but I'm afraid I'm still in the Dark ages

Yep I got a Video

but if theres a DVD coming out be nice to hear those Olympus's in 5.1 stereo

Yes, I'd prefer a kosher copy too, mainly because it'd come in a nice box, and the profits should help the project. Most important of which being the latter :)

My video recorder went up into the loft a couple of years ago when we got the Humax Freeview with an 80gb HD built in. True, I can't give "tapes" of stuff I've recorded to people, but other than that, it works for me :) Oh, and there's a new version out that has a USB socket for importing/exporting recorded programs to a PC, which could then be burned to a DVD or CD, depending on the size. :smartass:

Thread Hijack: We got an 80GB hard drive with our new DVD recorded a few months back. Best decision ever. Soooo easy to record & watch stuff. Only regret is that we didn't get a bigger hard drive, although you can get plenty on 80GB

Well,

3 engines installed, 4th to go in next week hopefully. We've finished functionally testing the Oxygen system and Pneumatic systems, which are now completely operational. Bomb doors are on, and we now only have 3 tanks to fit before the aircraft will be having her first sip of Avtur in 8 years!! Hopefully this will be late next week.

Electrically, the leckies actually managed to fire through their functionals for the DC and AC systems today, so XH558 has full electrical power available to her again!

It's going to ramp up quite a bit over the coming weeks, as the systems start coming back to life, and we start the major functionals, such as U/C, Airbrakes, Flying controls etc, so things will be getting very interesting soon!!

www.tvoc.co.uk is updated on a daily basis on the forums by myself and other engineers, so you can pop in and see the latest news, but I shall still be around to answer your questions.

It's starting to get exciting now. It's becoming less of a climbing frame, and more of an Aircraft again!!

:analintruder:

Flipflopman

Well looks like good news Just lifted from the TVOC SITE

Avro Vulcan XH558 will fly this season

Friday, June 15, 2007 - VTST

Vulcan Will Fly in 2007 Airshow Season

The Vulcan to the Sky Trust is determined to ensure that XH558 appears at at least one event in the 2007 season. Hundreds of thousands of people from supporters' groups, the media and the general public are champing at the bit to see the iconic bomber fly again, and everyone concerned is understandably frustrated that the timetable to first flight seems to keep extending.

Engineers at the Vulcan's base in Leicestershire have been working literally around the clock for the last three months, with four night shifts per week and fifteen plus hour days not being uncommon. The hard work has paid-off: XH558 is standing on her own landing gear again, with the airframe approaching completion. The elevons, rudder, bomb bay doors, electrical systems and engines having been successfully refitted. Full electrical power has now been returned to the aircraft and testing is progressing apace. It has therefore been a huge disappointment to everyone involved that they are now left waiting for the last dozen or so critical components that will allow reconstruction to be completed and flight testing to begin. Arrival of these parts will trigger a chain of final tasks resulting in first flight as soon as three weeks later.

It is worth remembering that the Vulcan to the Sky project is the first ever attempt to return a 'complex' rated aircraft to flight. As such, many rules, regulations and guidelines have been exercised for the first time as the project progresses. But progress it does and after three years of extremely hard work, the finishing line is now (agonisingly) close.

Vulcan to the Sky wishes to thank everyone who has helped the project since its inception and especially the members of the Vulcan to the Sky Club , and the “Friends “ of VTST for their loyal support. The return of XH558 is now not a question of if, but when. How long she remains in the air is dependent on the success of current efforts to sign up a commercial sponsor willing to take advantage of the biggest flying billboard ever made, and the continuing financial generosity of the public.

Dr R Pleming

CEO

And More from the ENGINEERING Section