TIE Interceptor

Bloody hell.

I've gotta say I'm really impressed with the way you've made all that exquisite detail pop, without making it look OTT.

It looks fantastic. B)

Finemolds really did a beautiful job replicating all that detail. I mean these kits are tiny, but you can make out the bits from the Hasegawa railway guns, F1 cars and all the other little bits 'n' bobs that ILM used to detail the studio props.

G'day Smiffy,

This model makes me look better than I am. The detail is beautifully and crisply rendered and The panel joins are very well engineered so as to be mostly hidden. All I did was add a dark grey wash!

Outstanding work, incredible model. :worthy:

G'day Kevin,

Thanks very much. Again, I cannot take all the credit, the kit really is a gem and pretty simple to assemble as well. The work presented so far represents about 3 sessions of about 2 hours each! If it wasn't for paint drying and curing times, the kit could probably be completed in a weekend,

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

Today's update. I have finished painting all the parts. The wings and fuselage received a very light dry brushing following a matt coat. Very light weathering was applied using pastels, this consisting of a few random streaks using pastels. I figured that these Imperial fleet would be pretty well maintained by a multitude of cleaning droids etc.

botthatch.jpg

ion.jpg

ionr.jpg

ballcloselft.jpg

ballclose.jpg

Whilst all this was going on, the solar array panels were given a quick blast of Tamiya semi-gloss black straight from the rattle can. The different panels are all unique and fit quite precisely. I had taken the precaution of scribing the individual part number on the rear (unpainted) side of each panel, so each panel was readily identifiable. Once dry, the panels were fitted into their respective positions. I began with the inside wing panels first, which is the opposite of the instruction sequence. The only problem I encountered was that the small interior quarter panels don't have a positive location, and these kept popping in and out during installation. A quick couple of wipes with a sanding stick alleviated the problem.

wingopp.jpg

wingout.jpg

wingclose.jpg

The wings were now completed.

The wings were attached to the fuselage and the assembly was now complete!

blasters-1.jpg

dark-1.jpg

front.jpg

rear.jpg

stand.jpg

winginside.jpg

dark.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

Brilliant work, it's just astounding.
She's a beauty Pappy!
This is a masterclass in 'popping' surface detail

Absolutely exquisite work Pappy, thanks for sharing!

What a cracker! Kit may be easy as you say but you still need skills to make it look that good.
Brilliant stuff Pappy, looks the nuts mate :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I have been tinkering away with another FineMoulds kit, the "Y-Wing"

These FM kits are addictive!

cheers,

Pappy

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice indeed! These are wonderful ships and the Interceptor remains to be one of my favourite TIE so far!

By any chance do you have the Erlt/AMT Interceptor and TIE to compare the sizes from the FM? I often wonder how much small the FM are.

B

G'day B,

Sorry I don't have the kits that you mention. The FM kits are scaled at 1/72. I don't know what the other kits are scaled to, but I guess a good guage would be the size of the pilot figure. I would guess that the AMT/Ertl kits are closer to 1/48, so that would would make them about 150% perhaps? Someone that actually has these kits should provide a better answer,

cheers,

Pappy