Calder DC-8-62 just because...

Now that does look fun, I wonder if it would fit a 707? Ive got an AWACS in 144th thats donated its dish to a future Whiffer and I fancy doing something extreme and this would be hilarious :goodjob:

Bexy

Now that does look fun, I wonder if it would fit a 707? Ive got an AWACS in 144th thats donated its dish to a future Whiffer and I fancy doing something extreme and this would be hilarious :goodjob:

Bexy

I know, or can probably find out, where you live. I will hunt you down like, well, like a dog! :)

J

Now then....

That is a lovely scheme! I have a DC-8-62 in the stash, I planned to do it as Douglas' bid for the Overland Radar project (AWACS), but seeing this I am sorely tempted to change my mind....

:thumbsup2:

Duncan

• 1 month later...

Any chance to get this painting scheme as a decal sheet soon? I have a Minicraft DC-8-63 (with cutting to -62 as an option) waiting to be built soon ;)

• 3 weeks later...
In a word: no way in he11 :) The decal sheet would be about a square metre...

J

Maybe you at least have the other engine pod's graphics? ;) I mainly would be interested in these as decals, and airbrushing the rest ;) And with graphics, I have no problem doing decals myself...

Maybe you at least have the other engine pod's graphics? ;) I mainly would be interested in these as decals, and airbrushing the rest ;) And with graphics, I have no problem doing decals myself...

Actually I don't. There are incredibly few photos available publicly of that airplane. If it were done today, there would be 27,365 photos of it on www.airliners.net by next week this time. But back then nobody but die-hard enthusiasts was shooting airliners, and they were shooting slides. Slides are a pain to put online, and most of them are probably still sitting in boxes in someone's basement (mildewing). I managed to find decent shots of those two nacelles (the outboard sides only - inboards were different), but none worthy of mention of the other side at all.

No, no decals whatsoever will be forthcoming unless I find a treasure trove of photos of that airplane.

J

There are plenty if you search Calder DC-8 on google images.

Yes, but if you blow them up to a useable size, you get piles of bricks. Believe me when I tell you, I've scoured the internet and about a dozen books, and there is nothing useable for decal art purposes. A tiny 72 dpi image is useless. And in any event, a decal for this airplane would be ENORMOUS and very, very expensive. I just don't see it being worthwhile. It would entail a HUGE amount of work, for very little in the way of return on investment. Not to mention the fact that it would be the mother of all b**ches to apply to a model.

J

Edited by Jennings Heilig

In my stack of close to 1000 airliner decals, I have a decal for this bird in 1/144

that I bought from CBS Models in Texas a few years ago. You have to paint the

yellow part of the fuslage. Don't expect Jennings quality here... but for me it's mutch

better than start from scratch... The decal don't have any number, and come with a crude

photocopied instruction in bw.

Happy modelling,

Ruben

www.lndecals.com

In my stack of close to 1000 airliner decals, I have a decal for this bird in 1/144

that I bought from CBS Models in Texas a few years ago. You have to paint the

yellow part of the fuslage. Don't expect Jennings quality here... but for me it's mutch

better than start from scratch... The decal don't have any number, and come with a crude

photocopied instruction in bw.

Happy modelling,

Ruben

www.lndecals.com

Hey, any chance to get a copy of it? I'd love to build it! ;)

• 10 months later...

I know someone is bound to say it ..this is an old thread but I was browsing and came across this "CALDER" DESGIN and well I LOVE it so I had a look and

wanted to say WOW!! SO PRETTY AND AWESOME !!!

BELLISIMMO!!!

Edited by Houston