Airfix 1/72 Gloster Sea Gladiator N5519 "R" Charity.

Richard M

Slight change of plan my build will be of the Airfix 1/72 Gloster Sea Gladiator N5519 "R", "Charity" of the Hal Far Fighter Flight, Hal Far, Malta June 1940.

Best

Rich

Edited by Richard M

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Started on the build, this is a Gladiator from the 08 release programme.

DSCF0007.jpg

Not exactly a huge part count, a bit of flash in places but not too bad considering the vintage.

DSCF0010.jpg

The decal sheet features enough decals to do 4 complete Gladiators, handy for the spares box.

Gladdecals600dpi.jpg

Putting the fuselage halves together took about 30 seconds - no interior to obsess over. Then liberal amounts of filler was applied to the panel lines on the fuselage and ejector marks on the wings. I also sanded off the seam line running around the cowling, the cylinder head scallops were misaligned so I got rid of them too. I'm planning on adding these using teardrops of 5 minute epoxy.

IMG_0923.jpg

Best

Rich

Sanded all the filler down on the fuselage panel lines.

IMG_0966.jpg

The locating hole for the stand (not included in this release) will need filling with plastic card.

IMG_0967.jpg

Filled and sanded the ejector pin marks in all the wings.

IMG_0968.jpg

The engine cowling showing the seam and scallops sanded off.

IMG_0969.jpg

Best

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Put the lower wings on and filled and sanded down, did the same for the tail planes, no major issues really. Filled in the hole for the stand. Added the leg struts and applied filler.

IMG_1248.jpg

I also removed the machine guns as these are molded flush with the wings, I'll replace these with some Aeroclub items.

IMG_1247.jpg

Best

Rich

Bit more progress, the legs have been sanded into the fuselage. I've added the scallops to the cowling, in clear epoxy so they're a bit hard to make out - I think it worked pretty well. Started to paint the pilot figure.

IMG_1255.jpg

Best

Rich

Cowling is on the fuselage and the pilot painting proceeding. I want to get the canopy on before adding the upper wing as there will be some work needed to build up the spine and fair the canopy in which will be easier without the wing in the way.

IMG_1283.jpg

Best

Rich

Cheers for the comments. The gladiator has had the canopy blended into the fuselage spine with some milliput. Then the upper wing was added.

IMG_1322.jpg

Bit of a frustrating exercise, if there is a next time I'll ditch the kit struts, cover and fill the slots and scratchbuild my own. Using the kit ones they didn't really fit well and a load of filler was applied to cover the mess. I'm sure they're overscale anyway.

IMG_1324.jpg

Best

Rich

Finished up sanding and filling the struts, I suspect a primer will be needed to make sure it's all OK. I scratchbuilt an additional intake under the cowling as I believe these Gladiators were fitted with one. Masked off the canopy so everything is ready for primer.

IMG_1345.jpg

Best

Rich

Sprayed Hu64 on as a primer coat, as I thought it showed some areas around the struts which needed work. Did a bit more sanding, hopefully by the time the paint and rigging is on it won't be too obvious how cack-handed I am with bi-planes!

IMG_1361.jpg

Currently spraying the white on the underside, should need about three coats by the look of things.

Best

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

Finally finished all the different colours and removed the masking. There's plenty of touch-ups to do, plus I have to paint the cowling ring and add the exhausts. I distressed the paint a bit by sanding it to give it a worn look.

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

Once the touch ups are done I can gloss cote ready for decals.

Best

Rich

Thanks for the comments. I'm making steady progress. I extended the exhausts to the forward cowl ring, not great but better then what is OOB (still to be painted). I added Aeroclub gun barrels and put the aerial masts in place and added the wheels. I have made decals to represent the wheel hub detail whcih will go on once I've applied the gloss cote.

IMG_1544.jpg

Best

Rich

I've applied the decals to the Gladiator. They were on the brown backing paper. I didn't have any trouble, but I used hot water to remove them. I had one decal split, an R, but this was when the water had cooled to lukewarm.

They went on well, but the blue is a bit translucent, which is visible against the white of the lower wing, the yellow could do with being denser as well, but overall pretty good - better than the shiny ones on the pale blue paper!

The home made decals went onto the wheel hubs really well and I'm pleased with the effect.

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

Best

Rich