Tamiya 1:48 Gloster Meteor F1

timmah

Hi

Here's the first of two models I will be entering in the "Best of British" group build.

Let me introduce to you Tamiya's Gloster Meteor F1

Photo of in box contents showing all still packaged and unstarted.

P5270074.jpg

I will be using an Eduard zoom photoetch set and masks to complete the model.

P5270077.jpg

Fuesalage halves cut from sprue's ready for interior painting. Just have to wait till the photoetch set arrived, still I do have three other kits on the go at the moment.

Thanks for looking

Tim.

Edited by timmah

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's the state so far and as you can see it's going slowly!!

The fuselage halves are now together after painting the forward bulkhead area interior green.

At this rate I think I might need all the time till the deadline to finish just this one, Hannants were very fast(for them!) at delivering the photoetch set so I can get started on the cockpit area.

P6030096.jpg

More pictures to follow as the build continues........

Ta

Tim.

• 3 weeks later...

More progress on the build..........

Wings together

No issues really apart from the glue I used (liquid poly) was drying before I could get the halves together.

P6170057.jpg

According to the instructions I should have joined the upper part of the wing to the fuselage first before attaching the underside :banghead: but in my defence the angle of the wing root piece would have been difficult to get right that way round. :tease:

P6240059.jpg

Note to self - always follow the instructions!! :banghead:

There is a part of the wheel well that sticks out of the wing root joint piece that means its difficult to attach the wings to the fuselage when the wings are built beforehand, also the front part of the wing joint keeps cracking apart as its so thin there, I could have reinforcred the join from underneath if I had followed the instructions.

P6280061.jpg

Now all primed and ready, have started on the cockpit using Eduard photoetch set and I'm already getting fed up with it, I always have problems getting it to stick properly and bits are already falling off :fraidnot: I think I may use the belts and forget the rest.

I'm not sure what aircraft to do, I suppose most people do F/O Deans aircraft but I keep being drawn to the colours of the prototype aircraft (image from RAF museum web page)

meteorf940.jpg

I would have to make my own decals for some of it and whilst I'm sure I could do it, I would hate to spoil the build if I cocked up with the decals.

Ta

Tim.

• 5 weeks later...

I would have to make my own decals for some of it and whilst I'm sure I could do it, I would hate to spoil the build if I cocked up with the decals.

Ta

Tim.

Tim.

I have a set of decals from the later issue with the prototype markings if these would help?

Chris.

Do the prototype. I like the yellow.

And you have got to love that wheelbarrow front wheel

• 2 weeks later...
Tim.

I have a set of decals from the later issue with the prototype markings if these would help?

Chris.

Hi Chris

Yes that would be a great help, how much do you want for them?

Let me know

Thanks

Tim.

• 1 month later...

More progress

With the very kind donation of some prototype decals from Stringbag, the colour scheme has been set.

Yellow applied to the underside, is it just me or does everyone have difficulties with yellows, really did not want to cover and I ended up applying more coats than I really wanted to. Some detail has been lost due to the numerous layers applied to get an even coat.

P9280010.jpg

Dark earth applied as the first stage of camoflague.

P9290011.jpg

Now in the process of masking up ready for the dark green.

More to follow.

Tim.

More progress

Masked added using scanned copies of the instruction sheets and double sided tape

P9290012.jpg

Dark green was applied and the masks left on to stop me smudging the paint.

Then as it would seem with every model I build disaster struck................

PA010039.jpg

When I came to remove the masks, the double sided tape left a sticky residue all over the model from the masks, I've used this method of masking before without problem but that was over acrylic paint. I've painted this one with enamels (to use them up) and the final finish is a lot more matt and rougher than the finish I got with acrylics and I wonder if that has made the difference?? :shrug:

For once it would be nice to paint a model without having problems, oh well I'll get the Mr muscle out and strip it back and start again!

And I started modelling again as a form of relaxation :wall:

Tim.

• 3 weeks later...

More (backwards) progress.....

Kit in a bag covered in Mr Muscle Oven cleaner

PA140072.jpg

Mr Muscle removed the enamel but not the sticky residue from the tape or the acrylic primer so out came the fairy powerspray and half an hour later I had this.....

PA150073.jpg

You can still see traces of the sticky tape on the left hand wing, I wiped the model over with IPA and with everything cleaned up I re applied the acrylic primer from a rattle can only to over do it again, so go back to the first picture for an idea of where I ended up....

In the end I gave up on the rattle can primer and applied a white enamel base coat which went on much better. As I was more in control of the flow through my airbrush the surface detail remained rather than being drowned as it had been with the rattle can.

Light grey pre shading over the white.

PA200076.jpg

I still think this may be too dark under the yellow but we'll see when I get round to painting it.

Time is running out................ :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

More progress..........

Underside painted and although I think the preshading is a bit too dark, I'm happy with the results

PA220082.jpg

Top side painted dark earth

PA260085.jpg

I used the same mask technique as I did before but used a different double sided tape and no residue left...much happier now

PA280086.jpg

Cockpit in and canopy on, fuselage band painted, coming along nicely now

PA280087.jpg

The undercarraige is almost finished, just got to paint the canopy in the camo colours, a few touch up's and all the painting will be finished and ready for the decals

Will I finish in time............... :shrug: