* Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3 : FINISHED

timmah

Hi

Thought I would share the build up of a couple of models I am currently doing, the first is Tamiya's BF 109E-3.

P5270075.jpg

This will be one of two kits built to get me ready for the Best of British group build. I will be using Vallejo Model Air acrylic paints which I've never used before(actually I've never used any acrylic paints before). So far I'm very impressed with them, the paint has airbrushed straight out of the bottle and cleaning the airbrush is no more a chore than it was before.

P5270076.jpg

Cockpit interior painted ready for some detail work and dry brushing, think I will only be adding seat belts to this build.

All comments welcome

Thanks for looking

Tim.

Edited by timmah

• 2 weeks later...

More progress on the build

Less drybrushing and washing than on the FW190A-8 I'm also building, The cockpit decals are not as good in this kit so I'm really kicking myself that I screwed up the FW190 cockpit.

The seat back was drilled as per the BF109E series and the photo etch belts passed through, still need to pose the seatbelts in their final resting place.

P6010094.jpg

Fuselage halves together

P6010095.jpg

More to come soon......

Ta

Tim.

Kit now all boxed up and packed away ready for the start date of this group build.

Edited by Erwin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

More work done, wings went together well and apart from a tiny packing piece to bring the middle of the wing/fuselage join level the joint was near perfect.

P6260060.jpg

Now all primed and ready, I used Holts Acrylic Plus primer from a rattle can and I had to be so careful as it really chucks the paint out when you press the button, there was soooooo much wasted paint as I had to hold the can at quite a distance otherwise it just swamped the model in paint.

P6290062.jpg

The only problem now is I can't decide on which paint scheme to do, I really like the yellow nosed 109's but I'd like to do something different.

Thanks

Tim.

• 2 weeks later...

More progress and now some colour is added........

Pre-shading of upper and lower

P7100011.jpg

P7100012.jpg

Progress is quite quick thanks to the use of acrylics, they are just fab to work with.

P7100013.jpg

Top all masked ready for splinter camoflage top colours

P7120014.jpg

RLM02 applied

P7120015.jpg

Splinter scheme masked up ready

P7120016.jpg

Nearly complete, a few touch ups required and hopefully the finished colour scheme will be different

P7130017.jpg

Ta

Tim.

So, I have chosen the colour scheme......................

I even have a picture of the aircraft I want to do..................

I painted the model with my new acrylics which i really like...........

Sat back in my chair thinking that its going quite well and I'm quietly impressed with how it's going............

Late nights surfing the internet for more information because I want to do a good job of the model.................

And finally

I manage to get more information and it confirm's several things but more importantly it confirms the one thing that could be quite important..................

I've only gone and painted it the wrong colours!!!! :banghead:

Well there really was only one thing to do............

P7140025.jpg

Oh well, getting back into modelling can be a rather steep learning curve!

Ta

Tim.

Sorry to hear you got the wrong colors! Hope you get that sorted out soon! :)

Cheers,

Azgaron

• 3 weeks later...

More progress..............

This is the aircraft I've had decided to do, its a 3 Gruppen JG53 BF109E-3 piloted by Walter Rupp that eventually crash landed near RAF Manston in 1940

Bf-109E_JG53_3_Y1_Rupp_crash-landed.jpg

Underside re done and now top side with first coat of RLM70

P7170028.jpg

Now with RLM71 splinter camo added

P7170029.jpg

Yellow nose and red band of shame added

P7180030.jpg

Decals added, now just have to put on clear top coat and start of the weathering

P8080049.jpg

And the underside

P8080050.jpg

More to follow soon.........

Thanks for looking

Tim

Edited by timmah

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...