RAF Museum Hendon

Seamus

Mike,

It's a Halifax - I suspect that it is displayed like this because the parts recovered from a Scottish Loch/Norwegian Fjord couldn't be restored further. Great display though, pity that there's no airworthy example of one of my Dad's wartime A/C :( .

Cheers,

Ian

Oh crap it IS a Halifax!! Still working on my Brit bomber recognition!! I really would love to see more pics. It looks just amazing. Sometimes the shiny restorations can be lost in the history of the real aircraft.

Cheers Ian!!

Mike

There was much discussion about the Halifax at the time of it's recovery from Norway as to whether it should be kept as found or restored in fullness. The decision not to restore was taken quite deliberately and was not necessarily about whether it could be financed. I think there is a case for presenting a recovered aircraft in this way, it makes a powerful statement as it is. It can also be quite creepy in the subdued light and quietness of the hall.

peebeep

There was much discussion about the Halifax at the time of it's recovery from Norway as to whether it should be kept as found or restored in fullness. The decision not to restore was taken quite deliberately and was not necessarily about whether it could be financed. I think there is a case for presenting a recovered aircraft in this way, it makes a powerful statement as it is. It can also be quite creepy in the subdued light and quietness of the hall.

peebeep

quite and reminds me very much of the sacifice all those thousands of bomber command aircrew made in WW2

hthn,

trevor

Mike@TwoMikesResin

Here are some more pictures of the crashed Handley Page Halifax II W1048, some info on her here.

Port outboard engine 'placed' in postion, all four engines are sited like this....

halifaxw104801ld1.jpg

She s placed on a gravel bed to immitate the lake bed she was recovered from......

halifaxw104804uy9.jpg

halifaxw104807ee4.jpg

Due to her location in the hall the starboard wing has not been put in place and is laid by the fuselage...

halifaxw104809cm1.jpg

Rear tail turret...

halifaxw104810cx7.jpg

Cockpit shot showing the throttle box, IIRC the main pannel has been spruced up a bit....

halifaxw104811uj7.jpg

Compartment behind the nose turret, the guages are seized in the position they were in when she crashed....

halifaxw104814pg3.jpg

Comments welcome,

John.

Edited by Fmk.6john

John

Amazing pictures mate!! I have right cliked them all if you don't mind. I am going to check the link you posted next. I assume there is some history on the aircraft?

Thanks for letting me see and appreciate this piece of history. I hope to see her up close someday.

Mike

jeasus 30 replies ! all i got was just 3 !!!!!!!!!!! when i put my total collection of 70 pictures from hendon, must have wrong name :violin:

ian.

Ian where is your post?? I am heading to look!!

I love these museum stuff.....especially from places I have never visited!!

Mike

Mike click this link to download a pdf to tell you all about this machine. It was damaged during a raid on the Tirpitz and the pilot realised they would not be able to make it home.

peebeep

Awesome Stuff Paul!! I just printed it out and am now on the hunt for an FM (yuck) Halifax!! Its amazing where one finds inspiration!!

Cheers

Mike

Can't wait to see the Comet with M16 turret mate.

hmm, its had its basic painting done baz and now has the detail work. i haven't touched for a while but will try to have it ready

for the next show britmodeller has a stand at. hmm, :blush: i am down for some 'armour' for the branch theme that we are

having this year at SMW in november. :blush:

anyway talking of modelling and the RAF museum, does anyone recall the dioramas of RAF history and aircraft they used to have?

i think the 'corporate events suite' and the aeronauts activity area for young people have taken most of the area on the ground floor

that these excellent displays used in the 1970's thru to the early 1990's.

one of the best gallery's in the whole site at hendon is imho, the awards gallery upstairs [RAF VC, GC and GM winners] and related

medal display in the bomber command hall. these always remind me of the sacrifices that these air and ground crew have made for

us down the years.

so what things do britmodellers like about the RAF museum, both now and things that they recall from the past?

That is one fine collection of historic aircraft......<note to self....must get there one day>

Edited by Angels49

This month's edition of Aeroplane Monthly has the full dramatic story of that Halifax's last flight (it was on a mission to attack the Tirpitz in Norway). Next month they are going to cover the recovery operation.

It is strange to think that this Halifax has now been on display at Hendon for a longer period of time than it spent sitting on the bottom of that Norwegian lake.

Edited by Eric Mc