HMS Hood

desmojen

My projected build for the table is HMS Hood by Trumpeter in 1/350 scale.

I aquired this kit after winning the Trumpeter competition in 2006. Part of the prize was £100 worth of kits and one of the ones I chose was this one. I made a slight start on it last year as at one point I was thinking of entering it into the 2007 comp. I decided against it for two reasons, one was that it was just too much work to get done in the time I had, and the other was that the kit is absolutely crying out for added etch even if just for railings.

Once I decided on giving it a shot for the Britmodeller stand I made a few inquiries and got hold of a Lion Roar update set for it via a friend who happened to be in Hong Kong at the time :winkgrin:

He picked a set up for me and I received it this morning. I've taken a couple of pics so you can see what I've got and where I'm at with it.

319221120.jpg

Here you can see the kit and what has been done. Not masses of work although it took ages! That centre deck section isn't glued in as yet only the fore and aft decks are glued into the hull so far.

319221119.jpg

The etched set and references. I bought the Hood v Bismark book a while back, it details the history of both ships and of course the battle. Quite a lot of useful photos in there. The anatomy book was ordered from Amazon last week and is quite superb, chock full of drawings! Along with these the Hood Association website is a gold mine of info, including colour references and mods needed to the kit.

319221118.jpg

The Lion Roar set. It contains 13 (!) sheets of finely etched brass along with screws, anchor chains and gun barrels for both the main and secondary armament. There are also four resin turrets and a beautiful enamelled badge of the ships crest.

It costs about £60 over here and can be had from Vince at Modelsforsale although he hasn't got any in at the moment. I also intend to get a few odds and sods from WEM, namely anchors and paints at the minimum.

Work will recommence shortly, once I've broken the back of the small Hercs which seem to be covering my desk at the moment :D

Jen.

A departure from the norm Jen.

That kit looks a beast and with all the added brass, this will be a beauty!

I'm looking forward to this one.

The Hood/Bismarck is a cracking book. Well worth buying even if you aren't going to build the ship.

I'll be watching this with interest.

The Hood & Bismarck book is a goodun, isn't it? I was leafing through it the other day, and only when I was about halfway through did I realise it was the anniversary of the action. Must've been subconsciously aware when I picked the book off the shelf.

I wonder if there's a source of main turrets other than the Lion Roar set? I'm reluctant to buy it and make my WEM set redundant in the process.

Fine kit anyway. I like the way Trumpeter hide the joins in the deck under the breakwaters.

Best of luck on that build. My own kit's in long-term storage but I'm looking forward to building it one day.

Joseph

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be following this build as well. I have a Hood at home that I must build. My mother's cousin, Edward Holmes, was a Boy First Class on the Hood when it was sunk.

My mother has not forgotten Eddie and I must build this kit for her.

I wonder if there's a source of main turrets other than the Lion Roar set? I'm reluctant to buy it and make my WEM set redundant in the process.

WEM themselves do a set of replacement resin turrets including open and closed rangefinders:

http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/...amp;CatalogBody

Edit: this link doesn't take you to the item, dammit! Click on the link, go to Site Map, White Ensign Models Products, Accessories, 1/350 scale, "Professional" Fittings & Accessories.

Edited by Obi-Jiff Kenobi

I'm stunned some people my own age have never heard of HMS Hood, the story is legendary in naval warfare, there were only 3 survivors and the chase for the Bismarck in revenge.