Jet Provost Mk3

markc

Here's my first contribution to the Telford group build. The venerable JP3 with the obligatory box shot to start things off.

Anyway, before I start in earnest I've a question. What is the overall cockpit colour in the JP3 (I'm planning to do an aircraft from around mid 80's)? I would guess in an aircraft of this age it would be black, I have only found one photo to corroborate this but it is a restoration, there does not seem to be a lot of info out there. Can anybody confirm, or even better have any photos they can share.

Thanks very much.

MarkC

startingpost.jpg

What is the overall cockpit colour in the JP3 (I'm planning to do an aircraft from around mid 80's)? I would guess in an aircraft of this age it would be black, I have only found one photo to corroborate this but it is a restoration, there does not seem to be a lot of info out there. Can anybody confirm, or even better have any photos they can share.

Thanks very much.

MarkC

Hi Mark,

Have a look here they have a lot of info on JP's

JET PROVOST HEAVEN

Also check out this 1 they have a cockpit photo page, they are also very nice people

The Newcastle Jet Provost Co.

Edited by Ponti

Thanks for the links Ponti.

I had been onto the JP Heaven site before but went for another look round in case I missed anything. As you say lots of great info but very few cockpit photos. However, I did find couple of photos I hadn't seen before, they also showed the colour as black, so I will probably go with that as the main colour.

Cheers

MarkC

Hi Mark,

If you go to the Newcastle JP site then the 3 pictures of the cockpit on there show grey.

Hi Mark,

If you go to the Newcastle JP site then the 3 pictures of the cockpit on there show grey.

I did try to go to the site but for some reason couldn't open the pictures :shrug:

Looking into it further, well reading the text on the instructions (novel concept eh :doh: ) they suggest black with some later aircraft in grey so I guess at some point there has been an instrument upgrade or similar and tallies with what you would expect in an airworthy example such as Newcastle. From this either colour may do, but in absence of actual time period references I may go with black.

Cheers for the input

MarkC

• 1 month later...

Hi Mark here is a photo of the example in the RAF museum, not sure of the Mk but definitely not the 5 which is a seperate exhibit. Hope this is of some use. MODeller

DSCF1451.jpg

Hi Guys,

Cheers for all the recent info. Never too late to help, as luck or lack of it would have it I've been busy with work lately so not much time for modelling, so not much progress has been made on anything over the last few weeks.

Cheers all

MarkC

• 3 months later...

EEK!! only a month to go, better get busy. Some recent progress, decided the Aeroclub seats needed a little "beefing up" around the head box area so added a little bulk with milliput followed by some representation of a harness from various bits of spare etch brass and the ever useful wine bottle foil.

seatswithstraps.jpg

Another view of the seats now primed and ready for paint.

seatsprimed2.jpg

Tried to add a little extra detail in the cockpit with spare brass cokpit sets for the blind flying panel and various switches, again wine bottle foil (can you spot the trend here) used to add some of the pockets found on the walls. As you can see I went for black in the end, thanks for all the input guys. Fitting the panel into the fuselage proved a bit more of a trial than I would have liked so after wrestling with this over several rounds and subsequent touch ups it's a little rougher round the edges than I would have liked, still looks OK in the flesh though.

cockpit1.jpg

cockpit2.jpg

Now got the fuselage together and in the midst of a serious filling and sanding session.

Cheers for now

MarkC

• 4 weeks later...
Looking good :thumbsup2:

I wish we could still get hold of the 1/48 Aeroclub JP :pray:

(apart from eBay, that is...)

Karl

If 500 of us say we want one John A will do a re-pop. It's a great kit/

Looking good Mark. Will give me the incentive to get mine finished.

Tony :clif:

And me!!

And I'd like to also start a list for a re-pop of the Aeroclub 48th Gnat T1 !!!!

Good looking progress on your JP Mark. I think the work you did to the seats makes quite a difference, I didn't bother with mine & consequently they do look a little weedy!! Strangely enough I had absolutely no problem in fitting any of the white metal bits into the cockpit, despite expecting them to put up a fight!! I guess that shows the differences you can get in one limited run kit to another?!

Keef

Edited by keefr22

Looking good Mark - I'm wrestling with the 'pit of my Gnat T1 at the moment so can appreciate the work that has gone into your JP.

If 500 of us say we want one John A will do a re-pop. It's a great kit/

Can I cast a vote for a JP5 please?

And I'd like to also start a list for a re-pop of the Aeroclub 48th Gnat T1 !!!!

Keef

Keef, PM inbound :ninja:

Ian

Thanks for the continued kind words of encouragement guys. Here's the latest progress update.

readyforpaint.jpg

This weekend was the start of the painting so ready for action

whiteon.jpg

Now the white on, This took several coats to build up a reasonable colour density. A job made no easier by fumbling the model and having it cartwheel to the floor and cracking both wing root joints in the process. :wall: However nothing that a little CA and a little more sanding couldn't fix, also had a little bit of orange peel on the finish so cue more sanding back and a final coat to try to smooth things over. Hopefully once varnish coats are on it shouldn't be too noticeable :pray:

whitemasked.jpg

Final shot, white masked off ready for next colour, Light Aircraft Grey on wings and tail planes... which I've just realised I don't have in an acrylic. :doh: It's been one of those weekends where everything seems to be taking 2-3 times longer than you would hope. The schedule is beginning to slip badly with next weekend looming.

Cheers for now

MarkC

Just been looking at the days left or lacking between now and Telford and unfortunately I don't think the JP3 is going to make it. Just not enough time to get it finished. :raincloud: I've not got much done over the last few weeks between travelling for work and a major distraction of snow in the Cairngorms last weekend which allowed my wife and I to climb some mountains

uphill.jpg

To get to places like this.

atthetop.jpg

Then get first turns in for this season... :yahoo:

firstturnsofseason.jpg

Sorry for the gratuitous skiing shots, but it always cheers me up. :D

See you all at Telford next weekend

MarkC

Just been looking at the days left or lacking between now and Telford and unfortunately I don't think the JP3 is going to make it. Just not enough time to get it finished. :raincloud: I've not got much done over the last few weeks between travelling for work and a major distraction of snow in the Cairngorms last weekend which allowed my wife and I to climb some mountains

uphill.jpg

To get to places like this.

atthetop.jpg

Then get first turns in for this season... :yahoo:

firstturnsofseason.jpg

Sorry for the gratuitous skiing shots, but it always cheers me up. :D

See you all at Telford next weekend

MarkC

Lovely pics Mark - & thinking about it, I can see the attraction of being out there outwighs staying home & working on the JP...!!! I hope we'll actually get to see some snow this winter!

Keef

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Even though I've missed the deadline for the group build still working away on this one and thought I'd update latest progress. Maybe if any mods see this they could maybe move the thread to general WIP folder.

Anyway after a great weekend in Telford, where it was great to meet many of you for the first time and catch up with others from last year it's back to business. In this case painting :( never my favourite point in a build as if things start going seriously wrong, this is normally where it starts.

I used xtracrylics for the first time, in conjunction with their own thinners and a little acrylic flow aid. I must say for a first outing we seemed to get on quite well. Any issues encountered, mainly bleed though on masking, were down to my own modelling incompetence and I felt spraying and clean up were actually fairly pain free. I will certainly work on perfecting technique with this brand in the future.

As I said main issue was some gaps in masking and some bleed through under the masking worst around the nose in the 3rd photo. Also a bit of a ridge between the various paint layers. Currently trying to fix both of the above with various rounds of light sanding and repainting, don't know if its improving things much though. I need to learn when to step away. Anyway, photos below.

Cheers for now

MarkC

painton2.jpg

painton1.jpg

nosepaintcloseup.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,

As I said main issue was some gaps in masking and some bleed through under the masking worst around the nose in the 3rd photo. Also a bit of a ridge between the various paint layers. Currently trying to fix both of the above with various rounds of light sanding and repainting, don't know if its improving things much though. I need to learn when to step away. Anyway, photos below.

Cheers for now

MarkC

painton2.jpg

painton1.jpg

nosepaintcloseup.jpg

Can you not use some line tape?

Hi guys,

Cheers for now

MarkC

Can you not use some line tape?