Ryoko

Paul B

I've put this is the Figures section as it's a figure :whistling: but it could equally have gone in the Sci-Fi section.

This is the next build on my list, Ryoko is one of the main female char's from the animeated short series Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki. Made a start on it about a week ago, removed the flash, cleaned it (soaked for 4 days) and have joined some of the bits together, and it's just about ready for the first layer of primer.

Ryoko on the left and Ayeka on the right.

r_1.jpg

Most of the figure dry fitted.

r_2.jpg

The head.

r_3.jpg

r_4.jpg

Ooo.. Ryo-Ohki (little rabbit type thing) and a Sake jug.

r_5.jpg

To give you an idea of what she looks like, here's a screen shot of (left to right) Ayeka, Tenchi & Ryoko (in the clothes for the model)

ryoko3.jpg

Edited by Paul B

You're a veritable machine, pumping out models of Anime characters & equipment, aren't you Paul? And I thought you just cycled uphill quickly! :lol:

B)-->

QUOTE(Paul B @ May 26 2007, 07:47 PM)
:lol: It'll be the V-22 Osprey after this one :D

Updated to service spec, or just OOB?

OOB for the moment, tried looking for some extra bits but can only find pre cut masks for the canopy. From the photo's I've found the kit should build to look v.similer to the Marine spec VC-22.

|--( )--|

Just applied the initial coat of primer to the Ryoko kit, come tomorrow I should be able to tell how much filling and sanding is required. Going to need a lot of white for this kit and I've nearly run out :doh: got some on order though...

Edited by Paul B

Just spent 1/2 an hour going over the pieces and filling all the pin holes. For a resin garage kit there's not much work to be done on this, it's of quite a good quality. I'll wait until tomorrow and the filler to set before I attack it with some sandpaper :D

This ones going to be more about the painting than the build, so we'll see how my all too lacking airbrush technique stands up :unsure:

Edited by Paul B

Hey Paul - if that's a resin kit, make sure you wear a respirator or at the very least a particle mask & lots of fresh air blowing away from you. Resin dust is quite harmful to the human respiratory tract if inhaled deeply (as in a long way down your tubes), as is any fine particle. Wish I'd known that before I sanded so much resin I looked like a flippin' snowman! :S

There... you've had the disclaimer, now carry on ;)

:lol: Nothing wrong with aircrafts and tanks or gray!

Mike, it is another resin kit but don't worry as I'm using a partical mask when filing/sanding and a proper twin filter small partical mask when spraying. Ordered four more resin figures last night, one should arrive next week, the others once there's enough orders to run off a batch.

|--( )--|

I filled the holes last night and this morning sanded it all and applied a second coat of primer. It's looking ok but the two areas that need to be really smooth (Skin areas) are looking a little rough :angry: I'm going to try useing a liquid abbrasive rub to smooth out these areas. It should be ready for painting come midweek :D Once the tools arrive it'll be all hands on deck for the re-scribe of the Osprey :) Then onto the next figure...

Once the two figures are complete (Ryoko & Ayeka) I'm going to try and make a diorama. The scene I have in mind is a section of court yard up front, with wooden steps leading upto the frontage of a Shinto Shrine. I'll have to two figures sat outside the shrine enjoying their cup of Sake. Don't know if I can pull it off, but it should be impressive if I can.

Yep, very ambitious and something that could turn into a long term project.

This is what I have in mind, but only useing part of the building and the steps...

shrine_24.jpg

The T-cut & cotton buds worked wonders, I now have a really smooth surface ready for a white base coat :D

I applied the base white last night and have just gone over the surface with T-cut once more, it's now silky smooth and ready for painting. I've never painted skin tones before or eyes, so this could go horribly wrong and look really freaky :o

Are you sure that the T-cut isn't leaving a residue that could affect paint adhesion? If it also has car wax type ingredients that could cause you problems further down the line.

I cleaned the pieces after I used the T-cut and the white base appears to have gone on ok. I'll hold off judgement until I start with the acrylics, but I'll give the pieces a good clean before hand just to be sure :)

Tomorrow mornings job is to get some more paint jars so I can mix up a few light/dark shades for the red, orange, white, blue & skin colours I'll be using.

The local Art shop had run out of small paint jars :angry: so I spent part of this morning cleaning out the ones I do have.

I managed to do a half decent job on painting the legs a red colour and thought I've got the shading/highlights nearly right. I spent roughly an hour painting the legs going over the shading again and again. Not bad for somthing that should only take 2 - 3 minutes to spray!? Getting home tonight and having a good look at what I did this morning, I'm all ready going "maybe a touch here and maybe there" AHHHHH!

If I can get the rest of the kit as good as the legs then it might turn out ok... It's just the thought of painting the eyes which is making me nervous :pray:

Edited by Paul B

Slow going at the moment, but I'm trying to make it look as good as I can :) I had a small set back with the gloss orange paint. I'm painting in flat and thought it'd be a good idea to mix the flat farnish with the paint :crying: Bad move... I had to sand the orange half of the jacket and strain all of the orange paint I'd mixed because the farnish had reacted with the paint/thinner and formed into little bits.

Anyway... So far so good, legs are 98% done (bit of blue required on the feet), lower part of the skirt is complete, as is Ryo-Ohki :D Shading is subtle and is (as always) better in the flesh :) Also completed the flesh tones on the face and upper torso, so hopfully It will be done by next weekend.

r_6.jpg

r_7.jpg

Edited by Paul B

Thanks Mike :D

A productive afternoon & evening :) Third time lucky with the orange half of the jacket, it's gloss orange with a top coat of Xtracrylix Flat varnish but looks more like a satin finish, which is ok. Completed the left hand also and have sprayed the hair. Nothing has been fixed in place as yet and the tail on the jacket needs to be bent out slightly as its pushing the torso forward.

r_8.jpg

The chest and waist on the torso are done, next I need to re-spray the white then paint in the red under suite.

r_9.jpg

The face needs the eyes, eye browes and the earing painting.

r_10.jpg

That leaves the right side of the jacket, the right hand, the sake jug and cup, than a few bits on the jacket and feet.

Edited by Paul B

That's looking very nice Paul. When you're painting the eyes, don't use white, but use a very light grey. Also, don't use black, but a dark grey. If size allows, you could also then put in a white highlight, which Anime characters are very prone to having.

This is on track to be a very nice figure :)

Got ya :thumbsup: I've heard tell that oil paints are the best for fiddly bits like the eyes, so I'll pop along to the art shop and get some tomorrow.

I'm scareing myself with how well this is turning out, I seem to be in a creative mood that I get once every five or six years... Loveing every moment of it :D

Hmm the one colour I don't have is gold so I've ordered some Alclad2. So near yet so far... I'm on the last few bits now, then I can put her together and add the final touches. Should be ready for the weekend :D

Go easy with the Alclad. You need a VERY smooth base to spray onto (it shows EVERY little imperfection), and mist the coats on, with a 3-5 minute gap between coats. It's ready to spray out of the bottle though, but you'll need some cellulose thinners to clean your airbrush, which you can get from Halfords if you've not got some already.

HTH

I ordered some thinners with the Alclad which has just arrived :D

Ohh, so close now... all the finished bits (apart from the buttons) are here but are only dry fitted for the time being.

r_11.jpg

r_12.jpg

There's nine buttons that need painting - two light blue, three turquoise and four gold. Then that just leaves the eyes to paint :( then the hair can be fitted and the head joined to the body :D

Edited by Paul B

That looks really good Paul - I can tell you're leaving the eyes to last though, as you're not looking forward to doing them at all, are you? :lol: That's exactly what I'd do :blush:

At the moment the body is 100% complete, its looking similer to the pics above but it's all glued and had the touch-up painting done :D

Thursday saw a minnor set back with the head. I'd penciled in the pupils on the eys but wasn't happy with the left one. I used the rubber on the end of the pencil but didn't notice a little bloch of ink until I'd started using it... Ink all over the eye and cheek :( couln't get it off and have had to strip all the paint off down to the primer.

Re-primed it yesterday but the original primer has proved uneven, I'm going to strip it right back to the resin and start again <_< Might get it finished soon :D

Edited by Paul B