Modelling at the 11th hour

I recently dug out three old Mustangs just to check their status. You know how it is... You start looking at an old model and suddenly you're working on it. Same happened here. Problem is I am going abroad next week so I won't get to finish them until after I get home safe and sound. :)

One, a Tamiya 1/48 P-51B, had been brush-painted olive drab and neutral grey. I think this was done about 10 years ago. For a brush-painted job it wasn't that bad but I wanted something else - most of all an airbrushed finish, so I decided to re-paint it. I sanded the previous paintjob lightly to remove the traces of paintbrush strokes after which I sprayed the model in dark green and ocean grey on the upper surfaces and medium sea grey on the lower surfaces. I painted it freehand so I needed to touch it up a bit before it was ready for decals. All colours used were Xtracolor.

Speaking of decals these were to come from the Mustang Mk. III release but neither of the kits I have had decent decals - either the colours were wrong or the white was too transluscent. I managed to find an Aero Master sheet for RAF Mustangs including one with a shark mouth. That is how I will finish it. Onto the pictures:

DSCN0133_800.jpg

DSCN0134_800.jpg

DSCN0136_800.jpg

The second kit was a Hasegawa 1/48 P-51D. My original plan was to build it as a P-51D without the fin strake (it had already been removed) and paint it as 'Passion Wagon' from the 357th FG. This plan was changed slightly as I ended up painting it as 'Lou IV' of the 375th FS in natural metal and olive drab with invasion stripes. All colours used were Model Master, and the natural metal fought me all the way (port side has been re-painted 3-4 times).

DSCN0127_800.jpg

DSCN0128_800.jpg

DSCN0129_800.jpg

The third and - so far - last Mustang is the Tamiya 1/48 P-51D. This was originally intended to be painted in the colours that the Hasegawa kit ended up with. The reason for the change is that I am going to build several 357th FG Mustangs, and I want them all to be Tamiya kits. Non-357th FG P-51Ds will be made from Hasegawa kits then. Anyway, I didn't think this model was suitable for a natural metal finish so I decided to finish it as 'Passion Wagon' (G4-A) in RAF dark green and medium sea grey. The decals will be from Aero Master. Since the red/yellow checkers on the nose were slightly off-register I decided to paint them on. The way the checkers will also have the same colours as the spinner. Paints were Xtracolor for the overall scheme and Model Master and Humbrol for the checkers. Checkers were touched up with a fine brush today.

DSCN0141_800.jpg

DSCN0142_800.jpg

Hopefully I will find time to apply the decals this weekend.

Critique is welcome as usual. Hit me... :angrysoapbox.sml:

Regards,

Edited by Jens

No critisism from me Jens, some good looking airbrushing going on there - should be three fine models when finished!

Except, shouldn't LouIV be painted with blue camouflage.........!!!! :rolleyes::D

(sorry, that's an old joke from when I used to visit a certain other forum - other 'hyperscalers' will know which one I mean!!! :P )

have a good trip!!

Keef

Thanks Keef and Mish!

Except, shouldn't LouIV be painted with blue camouflage.........!!!! :rolleyes::D

The model IS painted with blue camouflage...either you're colourblind or your monitor needs adjustment. :P

Seriously, I think the same misenterpretation of pictures has happened to a picture of a 4th FG P-51D (VF-D?) - Hasegawa shows it as having a blue rudder and anti-glare panel. :who-let-rip:

Regards,

Edited by Jens