48th scale Sea King HAR.3

Hi Folks

Only my second post here, but I see some familiar names from HS, ARC, LSP and the like.

Working on this aircraft for youngest son, who wants to give it as a gift to his mate who works on these birds.

The Flightpath set is outstanding (as is all their stuff - and NO, I don't get commission from them! LOL!) but I would have to say that you definitely need a good bending tool to do this baby! I use the Hold'n'Fold 8" tool - works a treat on large and small parts, of which there are plenty in this set!!

The Hasegawa kit as what one would expect from them, of course.

The Model Alliance/Aviation Workshop decals look great - just a shame that there are no specific stencils with the sheet. Must try to find some (any clues please guys - my time is short and I'm moving out of the hobby for a while after this - any help would be appreciated).

Here are the starting blocks for this build:

seaking.jpg

FPconversion.jpg

decals.jpg

And here's the work done so far...

The interior detail is multi-layered in many places and does need to be "fitted" to the kit. I had to trim a couple of millimetres off the floor plate at the side furthest from your view in this pic.

Interior.jpg

The door, carefully removed from the port fuselage, is split in two and the lower portion shown here is a kit in its own right!

DoorLower.jpg

The Winch assembly is a lovely piece of work, though the combination of bending and building requires careful thought.

Winch.jpg

The Tail Rotor needed a template building to keep the angles correct. I used a 15 thou sheet of plasticard with a hole drilled centrally AFTER I'd used a pair of compasses to mark out the correct angles. I sat the template over a small mixing cup to hold it while I let the CA set for all the rotors simultaneously. The PE control shank is a triple laminate of parts - looks very convincing.

TailRotor.jpg

Here are most of the parts in the spray booth awaiting a mixture of primer and interior painting

Pre-paint.jpg

I have to get this done reasonably quickly, as I am hoping to move home in less than three weeks. Unfortunately none of my models will accompany me, and some have already been sold - more are being put up for sale in the next week or so. If I get permission, I shall post the sale list on here.

Comments, questions and suggestions are always welcomed.

Kevin S

Edited by Kamshot

Your timing is perfect Kevin - I will follow this one with interest, and so far you seem to have the master of all that PE.

I was doing some early work on my HC4 conversion only at the weekend, so I'll nick any ideas you come up with :speak_cool:

Your timing is perfect Kevin - I will follow this one with interest, and so far you seem to have the master of all that PE.

I was doing some early work on my HC4 conversion only at the weekend, so I'll nick any ideas you come up with :speak_cool:

Thats 3 of us working on the flightpath Sea Kings at the same time then! I'm on an HC.4 as well!

Thanks for sharing that build with us Kevin! I was always interested in the Flightpath sets but never knew what I was expecting...now I know and I will follow closely.

What you mean...none of your models with move with you?!?! WHYYYYYYY?????? :wacko:

Thanks for sharing that build with us Kevin! I was always interested in the Flightpath sets but never knew what I was expecting...now I know and I will follow closely.

What you mean...none of your models with move with you?!?! WHYYYYYYY?????? :wacko:

Moving on from third marriage - downsizing from 3-bed house to one bed flat - got storage sorted till I can get enough room to repossess my stash (what is left of it after the sales). Money more important than kits right now, so only a selected few (heh heh - make that a selected 120 or so!!) are going to be stored - the rest are going up for sale, or to a kit broker as a job lot after I've listed them on here. Already listed 300 kits elsewhere but only sold a few. Shipping outside the UK is just too expensive these days - sold a few on eBay - but only 8 of the twenty listed! I guess even modellers are feeling the pinch these days! LOL!

This will be the second time I've cleared a stash - I'm getting used to it now... :P

Kevin S

very nice mate. how up to date is the kit mods wise? does it come with a sand filter and FLIR?

I'll be honest Paul - I just don't know. I haven't done much more than some pic research on this kit. I'm an accuracy moron, and don't fret much about dimensions and up to date mods, sorry.

The Flightpath instructions make no mention of a FLIR and I can see nothing that would represent it, though I know what they look like on Tornadoes but not Sea Kings. As for the sand filter - I ain't got a clue. I presume that would be a mesh cage over the intake area - of which there is no sign in the conversion kit, but it is an old set - I've had it for quite a while in my stash. Perhaps a query to DJ Parkins website would resolve that for you?

Cheers

Kevin S

Looking great so far. As yet another who has both the HC4 and HAS6 conversion sets in the stash I'll also be following this one with interest.

This will be a popular thread me thinks.

MarkC

I'll be honest Paul - I just don't know. I haven't done much more than some pic research on this kit. I'm an accuracy moron, and don't fret much about dimensions and up to date mods, sorry.

The Flightpath instructions make no mention of a FLIR and I can see nothing that would represent it, though I know what they look like on Tornadoes but not Sea Kings. As for the sand filter - I ain't got a clue. I presume that would be a mesh cage over the intake area - of which there is no sign in the conversion kit, but it is an old set - I've had it for quite a while in my stash. Perhaps a query to DJ Parkins website would resolve that for you?

Cheers

Kevin S

i worked on RAF Sea Kings at the time the FLIR/TV mod was being embodied but, unfortunately i've no pictures of the installation. basically, its a black turret mounted on a black plate that protrudes from the port side of the fuselage just below and adjacent to the sponson. it is operated by 3 or 4 cables exiting the fuselage skin just aft of the turret mount. internally, there are now 2 TV screens in the radio operators station.

the sand filter has been on all UK Sea Kings for a few years now, and as you say, it's a mesh looking box that sits ontop of the cockpit just forward of the intakes, replacing the FOD guard.

if you want to make a really up to date one, make sure you check references as many external mods have happened since that conversion kit obviously came out.

if you need any help, give me a shout, i was a Sea King 3/3a rigger for nearly 4 years employed on major servicings and mods.

Edited by paul_c

Cheers

Kevin S

These of use Kevin?

2005_0617VALLEYseaking0034.jpg

2005_0617VALLEYseaking0023.jpg

2005_0617VALLEYseaking0022.jpg

Dave

WOW!! Dave, Paul - thank you guys! Great pics Dave. I have a time limit working against me here, so I doubt if I'll rework the mods into the kit. The kit is intended as a showpiece gift, and not necessarily needing to represent any particular Leconfield aricraft at any particular date. I have a couple of serial numbers I can use (taken from the current 'on station' aircraft).

My only real concern right now is finding stencil data for the aricraft - doesn't seem to be much out there. Not a major problem, as I could finish it without the full set of stencils if need be, but it would be nice. *sigh* AMS still rears its ugly head! LOL...

Kevin S

no probs Kev, Dave's pics are great. as far as stencils are concerened, i'm not sure if any aircraft in the fleet has a full set! when skin repairs are carried out, or replacement parts are fitted, the stencils tend to be left off

As for the sand filter - I ain't got a clue. I presume that would be a mesh cage over the intake area - of which there is no sign in the conversion kit, but it is an old set - I've had it for quite a while in my stash. Perhaps a query to DJ Parkins website would resolve that for you?

A couple more pictures of the sand filter, may be of use:

Picture158-1.jpg

Picture159.jpg

Geez, some great ref pics here. Will be watching this thread with interest. Kevin, if one of the kits you are getting rid of is a Heller 1/72 Boeing 707, I would be willing to take it off your hands in exchange for some of the folding stuff

Regards and keep the pics coming

Bruce

Geez, some great ref pics here. Will be watching this thread with interest. Kevin, if one of the kits you are getting rid of is a Heller 1/72 Boeing 707, I would be willing to take it off your hands in exchange for some of the folding stuff

Regards and keep the pics coming

Bruce

Sorry Bruce - no Heller 72nd scale in my stash. :(

Kevin S