Tie Advanced (Darth Vader's)

OK, here at last are some pictures of my AMT Darth Vader Tie Fighter. If you are interested in the build thread, it is HERE

It was difficult to photograph showing the weathering and finish as it appears to the eye, but I'm mostly happy with how these have come out. Look out for it on display at the Britmodeller table at our next show!

b6a0c474.jpg

3ed16a28.jpg

55382e81.jpg

cc73117e.jpg

b09815b9.jpg

e3ea0fb5.jpg

89d85220.jpg

402244f3.jpg

8b458e73.jpg

65c81e8c.jpg

77427e5d.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Karl.

That looks great, Karl. What do you think of the 'flight display' idea? Does it work for you, or is it just a gimmick, cos the photos of it look good.

Incidentally, the pilot was once a student of mine...

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

Obi-Jiff... the inflight display is a reasonable idea on these type of kits as they somehow don't look right sitting on the ground! The kit has some skids as undercarriage but I thought it'd look absolute pants like that. The biggest problem was getting the thing into the disc!!! You have to flex it outwards in order to slide it in... took hours to get it in there without snapping the disc in half, or scratching the finished model... and that was with 2 of us doing it. I really couldn't see one person managing it without making a mess of it!

Once it was done, it looked a lot better in the disc than I thought it would, so they're a good idea from my point of view!

Karl.

Very tidy indeed, the Dark Lord himself would be proud of that one!

Would look great alongside a couple of TIE fighters, perhaps chasing young Skywalker in an X-Wing :whistle:

Great build!

That is the dogs man-vegetables Karl, one of the best tie models I've ever seen.

Brilliant stuff fella :)

:blush: Thanks John!

Very tidy indeed, the Dark Lord himself would be proud of that one!

Would look great alongside a couple of TIE fighters, perhaps chasing young Skywalker in an X-Wing :whistle:

Great build!

Maybe one day... I've got an AMT X-wing somewhere... :hmmm: now that's got me thinking.

Karl.

Re: the scale, according to http://www.starwarsmodels.com/index.html it's 1/36, but the guy doesn't say how he worked that out.

I wasn't sure, I went for what I heard some time ago that these AMT ones were about 1/48... thanks for the info!

You've done a cracking job on that Karl.......what's next then in the space department... will it be during or after your A10 build?

Well, I have an AMT X-wing of the same era... I also have the fantastic Finemolds 1/72 X-wing too. Not sure if I'll be doing them yet, but who's knows!, I sure don't :lol:

Karl.

That same site lists the original (medium-sized) MPC/AMT/ERTL X-Wing as 1/43 scale, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the X-Wing and Darth's TIE were supposed to be to the same scale.

That looks brilliant, nice job. :speak_cool:

I got one of these flight display ones off e-bay, but when it arrived the clear disc was snapped in 2.......bahh. :angry:

That same site lists the original (medium-sized) MPC/AMT/ERTL X-Wing as 1/43 scale, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the X-Wing and Darth's TIE were supposed to be to the same scale.

I always thought the DV Tie was closer to 1/32 just because of the size of the Vader figure. 1/43 sounds about right for the X-wing though (it's marginally bigger than the new 48th FM kit).

The twin pack of standard Tie fighters that AMT did are pretty close to 48th as well.

I always thought the DV Tie was closer to 1/32 just because of the size of the Vader figure. 1/43 sounds about right for the X-wing though (it's marginally bigger than the new 48th FM kit).

The twin pack of standard Tie fighters that AMT did are pretty close to 48th as well.

I'm only speaking from memory, cos my two DV TIEs are packed away in the loft, but I would have said it was somewhere near 1/32. That also contradicts what I said about the TIE and X-Wing being the same scale, but what do I know?! I was probably suffering from lack of chocolate when I wrote that...

That SW model website says the standard TIEs are 1/51 to match the TIE Interceptor. Shame they weren't scaled to match Darth's ship, would have made for a good trio. Still, with the Revell mini-kit of Darth's you can do the DS trench in 1/72, full of X-Wings, Y-Wings and TIE Fighters.

*Yoda voice* “HmMMmm... Fraternising with the Dark Side, you are”

Well...that turned out rather nicely. :)

Excellent job on the weathering.

In some shots, the cockpit glass has that 'oil on water' effect, is that just the plastic? or did you coat it with something??

Can't say I'm too keen on the display disc, don't know why, but at least it looks better than my little 'un which is just plonked on the shelf! :(

Mart

Thanks... nothing special on the glass, just the way the plastic is. You don't see it with the naked eye very much at all, but I had a polarising filter on the camera so it picked it out quite a bit. I was using the filter to eliminate some of the reflections from the clear disc... my first lot of shots had me reflected in them :doh:

Karl.